3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Any good recipes??
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)
19 REPLIES 19

Bzeitham
Explorer
Explorer
Dry salmon with paper towel. Sprinkle lemon juice on salmon and let set for 10-15 minutes. Melt butter in sauce pan and brush on salmon. Skrinkle McCormick Smokehouse Maple Seasoning on the salmon and grill until done. Quick, easy and sooooo good! For extra smoke grill it on a plank.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can't set a dry cedar plank on a grill. As I stated, I use a Weber 18" Jumbo Joe Charcoal Grill which is a great size to bring camping.

Soak the plank for 30 minutes per instructions and set it over the hot coals. A propane grill may not give good results. Cover the grill usin ght lid with the top and bottom vents fully open. The plank will begin to smoke and the ends may char. Your fish will taste wonderful.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Using a grill with a cover has its advantages over cooking on an open fire when it comes to smoking. At home I use a grill, when camping an open fire. With the grill if you use wood planks get the planks hot first like a frying pan put olive oil on top then add fish. By then the wood has dried out some and the edges begin to burn and add smoke flavor to the fish when the wood gets hot the oils from the wood infuse into the fish also giving it flavor. I have tried wood chips in a can but as someone else posted the fish will be done before the wood chips smoke.

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cedar plank...If you haven't used one to cook your salmon, you are missing out.

Soak the plank in water for a couple hours. Lightly rub olive oil on the salmon and add fresh minced garlic and chopped fresh dill. Let sit refrigerated for a couple hours.

Cook the salmon skin side down on the cedar plank. The cedar chars on the bottom giving the salmon an incredible flavor.

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
just went with the gas grill. The foil worked well, and clean up was a breeze.
Bob & Lynn

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
3 dog nights wrote:
OP here, took the first response and tried the recipe. Cooked the skin side to the foil and it stuck so I only removed the meat, just as suggested. The taste between the rub, honey and brown sugar was delicious! My wife even liked it and she's not fond of fish. Made me start thinking,next time maybe just use maple syrup....? Will let you know results.

So what did you use as a smoking agent or did you decide to ditch that aspect? I'm considering dropping the smoking aspect for my camping party since I'm running into logistic problems and don't like to get all tyro on that many guests.

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
OP here, took the first response and tried the recipe. Cooked the skin side to the foil and it stuck so I only removed the meat, just as suggested. The taste between the rub, honey and brown sugar was delicious! My wife even liked it and she's not fond of fish. Made me start thinking,next time maybe just use maple syrup....? Will let you know results.
Bob & Lynn

Paul_V1
Explorer
Explorer
We catch our own salmon off the San Fransisco coast here in Ca. I found a McCormick Gourmet Cedar Plank Salmon Seasoning a couple years ago at a Safeway store and it has been great.
I cook my salmon with the skin on. I lightly rub the fillet with olive oil and add a good amount of the seasoning to the meat side only. I like a hot grill for my salmon. I put the salmon on the hot grill meat side down to get a good sear on it, i like it crispy on the outside and moist on the inside. After I get good color on the meat side I flip it over to the skin side and finish it there. Some times the skin will come off on the grill, but who cares at this point as it will be done. Try this seasoning also on chicken, you won't be disappointed.
2001 GMC Crewcab Duramax 2500HD 4x4
2006 Outfitter Apex 9.5
1997 Jeep Wrangler

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm partial to cedar planking my salmon, but I also have a contraption made of wire - shaped like a fish. You open it, put the fish inside, then put it on the grill. Looks like this:

I suppose you could use something like this on a charcoal grill and add smoke wood. You could also get a wood chip holder made out of metal to use on a propane grill, but this most likely would not get hot enough to smoke before the fish was done.

I have also smoked salmon on my Weber bullet smoker.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use oak blocks to cook fish on an open fire. If I have the time I will use oak planks soaked in water to lay the fish on instead of the grate. Fish like salmon, blue fish, or trout are more oily that most fish and do well on an open flame. I have tried hickory, applewood, and oak and cedar and can't tell much difference in taste on an open fire but a slight difference in a smoker.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
NYCgrrl wrote:
Another easy smoked flav salmon technique: cook it on a soaked wood plank. For a bit more smoked flavour add soaked wood chips ( apple; hickory or maybe cherry wood) to the fire.
X2 - but I usually do mine on my Weber Jumbo Joe charcoal grill and use the cover. I don't think cooking it on an open grill - campfire ring, will produce the same results.

Good source for planks is Walmart in the grill section.

Here is what I do for a 1lb salmon filet - skin left on:

If you want 2 lbs, get 2 fillets.

Soak plank for 30 minutes. After the first 15, start a chimney full of Kingsford briquettes. If the plank wont fit in your TT sink, soak it in your cooler water. Make sure it stays completely submerged.

After 30 minutes, place the salmon on the plank, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper - lightly, then liberally sprinkle dill weed on it.

Be sure that the bottom vent is fully open. Place the coals in the grill, set the top grate on it, then set the plank on the top grate. Set the lid on the grill, top vent fully open.

After a few minutes, it will start to smoke. Check periodically to ensure that the plank is not on fire - it should not ever catch fire.

After 20 minutes - 15 for a thinner filet, cut the fish in half while still on the plank and separate the halves. I use a steel spatula. If a little pink, leave for 2 - 4 minutes and check again. When opaque, it's done.

Remove from plank, take plank off grill to a safe place to cool. Serve with your favorite vegetable and white wine.

Thanks for fleshing out the how to and total agreement that a covered grill or foil tent on an open fire makes for more smoked flavour:C.

Been gifted with 3 line caught NW salmons to cook at a gathering of music aficionados in August. Plan to play with a technique made famous by the late, great, Patrick Clark. Still trying to figure out how how to add smoke flavour to the technique yet think it's doable. Here's a vid of how he originally cooked the salmon:

P. Clark's Salmon with Gazpacho Sauce Pt 1

P. Clark's Salmon w/ Gazpacho Sauce Pt. 2

My current thinking is using buttered parchment paper seasoned w/ smoked paprika instead of foil, over a low fire on the grill, will allow smoke to permeate the meat and enhance the smoking with some sort of fruitwood. Also thinking a whole un-boned fish will be easier to serve on the campground. Grating unpeeled cukes using a micro grater can take the place of a food processor with ease. Since it's prime tomato season should be able to hand squeeze the tomatoes and strain if the mood hits since I like seeds and skin even though many peeps don't.

Made this version of the original recipe and cooked more than my personal norm since one of my BILs only eats fish and prefers it's cooked till flaky:

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
NYCgrrl wrote:
Another easy smoked flav salmon technique: cook it on a soaked wood plank. For a bit more smoked flavour add soaked wood chips ( apple; hickory or maybe cherry wood) to the fire.
X2 - but I usually do mine on my Weber Jumbo Joe charcoal grill and use the cover. I don't think cooking it on an open grill - campfire ring, will produce the same results.

Good source for planks is Walmart in the grill section.

Here is what I do for a 1lb salmon filet - skin left on:

If you want 2 lbs, get 2 fillets.

Soak plank for 30 minutes. After the first 15, start a chimney full of Kingsford briquettes. If the plank wont fit in your TT sink, soak it in your cooler water. Make sure it stays completely submerged.

After 30 minutes, place the salmon on the plank, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper - lightly, then liberally sprinkle dill weed on it.

Be sure that the bottom vent is fully open. Place the coals in the grill, set the top grate on it, then set the plank on the top grate. Set the lid on the grill, top vent fully open.

After a few minutes, it will start to smoke. Check periodically to ensure that the plank is not on fire - it should not ever catch fire.

After 20 minutes - 15 for a thinner filet, cut the fish in half while still on the plank and separate the halves. I use a steel spatula. If a little pink, leave for 2 - 4 minutes and check again. When opaque, it's done.

Remove from plank, take plank off grill to a safe place to cool. Serve with your favorite vegetable and white wine.

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We smoke ours on a pellet grill. We keep it simple with salt and pepper. Me, I like mine more done than the spouse. We just ate the last of our Alaska salmon
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer