cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smokers

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Brinkmann 2 door charcoal smoker, which I dearly love. And it does an excellent job, but!!! I'd like to smoke for 10-14 hours and don't want to feed charcoal every hour and a half. Nothing can beat the charcoal flavor, IMHO. What would be the next best thing? A wood smoker is out of the question for cost and size. Electric smokers don't seem to have the flavor, unless I'm missing something or there's a trick to it. Propane smokers have potential, but can they produce the taste, wood chips and all? Then there's the puck smokers. They seem very expensive and the supplies (pucks, etc) not even cheap. ANd I've not heard if the flavor or taste is even close to that of a charcoal/wood smoker. At least with the charcoal smoker I can cut on Oak tree and have all sorts of wood to smoke with.
Any opinions/advice out there?
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
40 REPLIES 40

cpd520
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
There is a Green Mountain Grills Rep in Phoenix if you get stuck and are heading that way. He came to me (Goodyear) and helped fix a problem I had. Nice guy.

I bought my grill thru BBQ Island so they contacted him.

Tim

Thanks for the info.

I found a loose wire. Now the WiFi works like a charm. I really like how well it controls temperature.

I will call today to see about getting the temp probe replaced.
Jack and Nina

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
There is a Green Mountain Grills Rep in Phoenix if you get stuck and are heading that way. He came to me (Goodyear) and helped fix a problem I had. Nice guy.

I bought my grill thru BBQ Island so they contacted him.

Tim

cpd520
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
Are you near Phoenix ? Did you buy from BBQ Island ?

Currently in Flagstaff. Bought the smoker in Winslow.
Jack and Nina

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Are you near Phoenix ? Did you buy from BBQ Island ?

cpd520
Explorer
Explorer
Well, based on this thread and some review and other forum reading I bought a Green Mountain Grill Davy Crockett. I was surprised how solid it is and how well thought out the design is. Holds temps very steady. I backed cookies on it to see if I could. They came out fine. First few uses have been great.

I will be testing out there customer service as the WiFi is not working right and the temp probe was not crimped well and came apart.
Jack and Nina

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Well I hope you have enough to share with the class.....
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Boston Butt on a Weber ,kettle grill. Purchased the hinged grill grate and charcoal holders (on the sides).

And here it is just about finished.

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Weber Smoker and you can go 12-14 hours with charcoal in it using the minion method. Go to and see for your self. Have it at least 10 years and will be using it in two days.

http://www.weber.com/grills/series/smokers/smc-smoker-18
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
garmp1 wrote:
Come to the conclusion that I'm best off with what I have. Just have to adjust my cooking methods. To do a pork butt for several hours, I'll simply put it on the smoker for 6 or so hours and then transfer it to the gas grill for the final cooking. Equipment I have. Flavor I like and I don't have to fork out a couple grand for a cooker I'll use a dozen time a year. Not to mention the storage issue. Our home isn't that big and not is the patio area.
Thanks for all the advice, info and leads.
i've thought about using the Brinkman for the first several hours then wrapping it in foil and move it to something that wont require a reload in 6 hours, but i look at these BBQ shows as well as OD'ing on BBQ anytime in Texas, and the BBQ purest snob in me comes out of not changing old school methods. But one day i want to take a brisket to about 4 hours where a "smoker" really isnt doing much anymore, wrap and finish elsewhere.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Come to the conclusion that I'm best off with what I have. Just have to adjust my cooking methods. To do a pork butt for several hours, I'll simply put it on the smoker for 6 or so hours and then transfer it to the gas grill for the final cooking. Equipment I have. Flavor I like and I don't have to fork out a couple grand for a cooker I'll use a dozen time a year. Not to mention the storage issue. Our home isn't that big and not is the patio area.
Thanks for all the advice, info and leads.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
dirtyhandz wrote:
I have a Webber smokey mtn also. But I had an old turkey fryer burner laying around so I took it all apart and made it so I could stick it in the bottom of the webber if I dont want to mess with charcoal. Works real good!

Nice work. I did the same thing to an old POS electric smoker I had and converted to propane.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

dirtyhandz
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Webber smokey mtn also. But I had an old turkey fryer burner laying around so I took it all apart and made it so I could stick it in the bottom of the webber if I dont want to mess with charcoal. Works real good!

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
GoPackGo, I just did the same and am planning to go there next week. I'd like a nice unit for home, but am a bit scared to pull the trigger. Will talk to these people then shop!

Thanks

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
For the money, you can't beat the GMG Davy Crockett. If you want to spend a little more and you want portability with a larger grilling area, try the RecTec. I did a lot of my research on the Pelletheads message board.
Shannen and Rick, empty nesters and loving it!
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax