cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smokers

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Brinkmann 2 door charcoal smoker, which I dearly love. And it does an excellent job, but!!! I'd like to smoke for 10-14 hours and don't want to feed charcoal every hour and a half. Nothing can beat the charcoal flavor, IMHO. What would be the next best thing? A wood smoker is out of the question for cost and size. Electric smokers don't seem to have the flavor, unless I'm missing something or there's a trick to it. Propane smokers have potential, but can they produce the taste, wood chips and all? Then there's the puck smokers. They seem very expensive and the supplies (pucks, etc) not even cheap. ANd I've not heard if the flavor or taste is even close to that of a charcoal/wood smoker. At least with the charcoal smoker I can cut on Oak tree and have all sorts of wood to smoke with.
Any opinions/advice out there?
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
40 REPLIES 40

GrumpyGator
Explorer
Explorer
At home I have a Big Green Egg, a Weber WSM 18", a Weber WSM 14", a GMG Daniel Boon, and a GMG Davy Crockett. What one goes camping with me? The GMG Davy Crockett.

It is a small unit, but I can smoke, grill or bake on it. It takes more space to transport than the small WSM, but it is more versatile IMHO. It does take electric to run, but it is a 12v unit that will work off your camper or vehicle. Also comes with a converter to use 120v when available.
2015 Keystone Passport Elite 23RB

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I just did a google search and found this place in St. Louis. I suggest you go have a long talk with them, maybe even call them and ask if they ever have a pellet grill going as a demo.

http://www.stlbbqstore.com/index.php?p=home

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Traeger PTG (the little portable one) to use on a four-month trip; that was pretty much a mistake. I think the real problem with it is that it's too small.

The device works by running the auger driving pellets into the firebox for a specified percentage of every minute. The stock controller selects those percentages; I found temperatures to be wildly variable. I replaced that controller with a Traeger digital controller, which uses actual temperature to run or not run the auger. Temperatures at the usual 250F smoking setting usually varied from around 200F to 300F, while high temperature setting were usually rock solid.

It wouldn't sear or put grill marks on anything with the stock grate; a set of GrillGrates fixed that.

Because the angle of the hopper sides is less than the bigger Traegers the pellets won't freely slide down into the auger feed hole and eventually the auger won't feed any pellets even though there are plenty in the hopper, so there's a need to push pellets toward the feed hole every now and then.

We found the amount of smoke produced to be inversely proportional to the cooking temperature. At lower temperatures food was oversmoked and at long smoking times coated with black guck, while at higher temperatures a lot less smoke was produced.

We've had food produced on the big Traegers and it was just fine; I think all the problems with the PTG are attributable to its small size.

I greatly prefer the BGE or WSM as smokers and any Weber kettle as a grill.
-jbh-

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
My use would be strictly at home (our RV is a B, ain't got no space for a smoker!). As I research this more I find that pellet grills/smokers are quite a bit more expensive than I anticipated. Am willing to spend the bucks if the flavor is there. I keep comparing the pellet grills to charcoal smokers, cause that's what I have and used successfully. Will I lose the rich charcoal type taste with a pellet grill? I realize that I won't be using charcoal, but will the pellet taste be comparable? Electric smokers, even with wood chips can't compare, in my opinion.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

x96mnn
Explorer
Explorer
I use a weber smokey mountain and have no issues with keeping heat. I find at the 10hr mark I need to add charcoal when it is cold outside, Canadian winter cold but not in the summer. I have digital thermometers to watch the pit temp, try to keep it around 225 and find I need to play with the vents every couple hours.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
My newest smoker a Green Mountain Davey Crockett? I got it because of size and it can run off 12v.

Even smoked honey salmon
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I admit to being a newbie at pellet grills. But from what I can tell, they all work about the same. They use an augur and have a fan. They have some kind of temperature sensing device in the cooking area that tells the augur when to feed more pellets. They all need electricity to run. And none of them are cheap.

I assume you are looking for one that is suitable for RV use, meaning you want it portable. I'm not sure any are entry level. They are priced more by size.

I suspect we all will recommend what we have and I am no exception. I like my Green Mountain Grills (GMG) Davey Crocket a lot and I would buy it again. But I also like the looks of that Rec-Tec Mini with the fold up legs. Traeger also makes a portable one, but I think you actually have to remove the legs.

I like the Wi-Fi option that Green Mountain is offering now. If you like that idea, then maybe read up on it at their site or call their tech folks and have a talk.

I also suggest that you look at shipping weight for each one you are considering. Heavy is good as it most likely equates to heavier gage metal (holds heat better), but that also makes it a little more difficult to get in and out of an RV. I know Green Mountain states what the gage of the metal they use at their site.

Make sure to get one with a digital readout for cooking temperature. I also like that I have a meat probe and it connects to the digital readout so I can monitor it easily. This is one more thing you can also monitor wirelessly via the WiFi hookup option on GMG grills.

Also look at the actual measurements of the grilling surface. Some are not all that large. Note the size of the opening and how much clearance you have above the grate. You can still cook a whole turkey on some of these small ones.

* I carry 3 kinds of pellets in heavy duty 5 gallon buckets with gasketed lids from Baytec containers at bayteccontainers.com Part number is NG005PK. You get 3 for $40, incl shipping.

Tim

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
From what I can gather the pellet type smoker seems to be the best for my purposes. But I've been wrong before.
What's the best entry level pellet smoker for home use? The best bang for the buck, so to say?

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Need-A-Vacation wrote:
johnhicks wrote:
Just get a Weber Smokey Mountain (bullet). It'll easily run many hours on a load of charcoal and hold a steady temperature. Comes in three sizes, 14", 18" and 22".

I think the 14" is too small but that would be dictated by what you can fit aboard.

Note that the WSM is a smoker, not a grill, and is completely unsuitable for burgers, steaks etc. The Weber Jumbo Joe is a great portable grill, and I actually managed to smoke a small turkey on a Jumbo Joe once.

Go here http://tvwbb.com for more.

+1. Great smoker that has a long burn time! Lots of great info, tips, and tricks on tvwbb.com as mentioned!!!

I have actually used my WSM as a grill by removing the center section, and setting the grill grate on the coal ring. then just placed the lid on the bottom bowl. there is a "kit" you can make or buy (about $15/ shipped), Grill Kit. It may not as good as a "true grill", but works for us!

X2 on the WSM. The kids got me one for Father's day about 5 years ago. Great smoker IMO and built to last. The Big Green Egg is another good one too.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We like our Big Green Egg. Charcoal will last a good bit at a low temperature. Have a Brinkmann, but only one door, pain in the butt. The weber kettle works good, but you have to keep adding charcoal... To us, the Big Green Egg is the best we have used. Easy to control the temp and the lump charcoal that hasn't been burnt up can be reused...
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
johnhicks wrote:
Just get a Weber Smokey Mountain (bullet). It'll easily run many hours on a load of charcoal and hold a steady temperature. Comes in three sizes, 14", 18" and 22".

I think the 14" is too small but that would be dictated by what you can fit aboard.

Note that the WSM is a smoker, not a grill, and is completely unsuitable for burgers, steaks etc. The Weber Jumbo Joe is a great portable grill, and I actually managed to smoke a small turkey on a Jumbo Joe once.

+1. Great smoker that has a long burn time! Lots of great info, tips, and tricks on tvwbb.com as mentioned!!!

I have actually used my WSM as a grill by removing the center section, and setting the grill grate on the coal ring. then just placed the lid on the bottom bowl. there is a "kit" you can make or buy (about $15/ shipped), Grill Kit. It may not as good as a "true grill", but works for us!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever vessel you want to smoke in, imagine this inside of it. Picked up 80 lbs of meat tonight for a weekend smoke.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer

-jbh-

rehless
Explorer
Explorer
Charcoal and wood is where it's at. I have 29'fifth wheel and carry a Weber Jumbo Joe. It's 18.5 inches and will do every thing I want it to. I also have the Cajun Bandit rotisserie, if I am hooked up to electricity and want to use that, I can. I have an Auspit rotisserie so if I am not hooked up and want to use a rotisserie, I am covered. Wood and charcoal.

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Rec Tec Mini pellet smoker which is portable. My hubby loves that it's portable and I love that he cooks. 😉 Everything has turned out great on it. We have even done burgers and steaks.
Shannen and Rick, empty nesters and loving it!
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax