cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thanksgiving potluck ideas?

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Turkey is provided. I need to take something that doesn't need to be plugged in or kept cold... I am thinking sweet potatoes or a salad. Green bean casserole seems like cheating, but I don't cook much to have a bunch of recipes that are tried & true. Thanks in advance for your ideas & recipes!
36 REPLIES 36

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
CopilotCompanion wrote:
Happytraveler wrote:
CopilotCompanion wrote:
My sister isn't invited to the Thanksgiving meal unless she brings her corn pudding. Yes, it has 2 sticks of butter in it. Yes, it is a heart attack waiting to happen... but what a way to go? Quick. Simple. Popular. Easy clean-up: toss the pan in the trash after your event.

1 Jiffy Corn Bread Mix
8 oz sour cream
2 cans whole canned corn
1 can cream corn
2 sticks of butter
Salt and pepper to taste

Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes in a 13x9 cake pan

Does your sister make this recipe ahead of time. It sure looks good.

She definitely makes it ahead. It's not so bad at room temperature.

Great! The recipe sounds yummy. This will be an extra dish I will contribute for Thanksgiving.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I like the cheese and put some both in it and on it.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

CopilotCompanio
Explorer
Explorer
Happytraveler wrote:
CopilotCompanion wrote:
My sister isn't invited to the Thanksgiving meal unless she brings her corn pudding. Yes, it has 2 sticks of butter in it. Yes, it is a heart attack waiting to happen... but what a way to go? Quick. Simple. Popular. Easy clean-up: toss the pan in the trash after your event.

1 Jiffy Corn Bread Mix
8 oz sour cream
2 cans whole canned corn
1 can cream corn
2 sticks of butter
Salt and pepper to taste

She definitely makes it ahead. It's not so bad at room temperature.
DH: Designated Curmudgeon
Lupรฉ the Rescue Dog: Self-appointed Tattletale
DW: Copilot & Companion
No offense intended. Sarcasm is my strong suit.

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Happytraveler wrote:
CopilotCompanion wrote:

1 Jiffy Corn Bread Mix
8 oz sour cream
2 cans whole canned corn
1 can cream corn
2 sticks of butter
Salt and pepper to taste

I found this on the internet
To Make ahead do not add cheese. Allow casserole to completely cool before putting it into freezer. Allow it to thaw the night before and reheat in over 15-20 minutes then add cheese.

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
CopilotCompanion wrote:

1 Jiffy Corn Bread Mix
8 oz sour cream
2 cans whole canned corn
1 can cream corn
2 sticks of butter
Salt and pepper to taste

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Corn pudding. Easy Peasy to do.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
This has become a favorite for traveling appetizers on my end:
Vegetable Spring Rolls

I wrap them whole in plastic wrap then cut them into 3-4 diagonal pieces on site. Easy peasy especially when you use precut veggies from the produce section.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Roy&Lynne wrote:
Ive got a Holiday party that we are going to and I think I'm going to go to Costco and pick up a pumpkin pie. I'm not lazy!!!

They are tasty :C
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

CopilotCompanio
Explorer
Explorer

1 Jiffy Corn Bread Mix
8 oz sour cream
2 cans whole canned corn
1 can cream corn
2 sticks of butter
Salt and pepper to taste

DH: Designated Curmudgeon
Lupรฉ the Rescue Dog: Self-appointed Tattletale
DW: Copilot & Companion
No offense intended. Sarcasm is my strong suit.

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
There are 20 people at our table... There are 2 of us. How much should I take? 1 9x13? Two? Thanks! Never been at a group of that size that wasn't a buffet for a much larger group. No big side tables. All food just served family style.

mec500
Explorer
Explorer
I heve been doing thanksgiving potlucks in the desert for 20 years and wouldn't have it any other way. We always do a spriral cut ham (like honey baked) green bean caseral and something else. That's the fun of it cook and contribute what you can.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Ive got a Holiday party that we are going to and I think I'm going to go to Costco and pick up a pumpkin pie. I'm not lazy!!!

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I tend to eat my own food at pot lucks and some of the other stuff that looks like it would be hard to screw up. I'm just a social kind of person.

To the original post, many of the Thanksgiving invites I've gotten over the years it seems like the major focus is on the main meal. I like pre-meal grazing so I think appetizers when going to these events.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
jnharley wrote:
The last potluck I went to, several people became ill. Have you seen the cats crawling all over the counters on RVs where this food is prepared. No thanks. Once was enough for me being sick. No more pot lucks. If I want to socialize, I will go and not eat.

Got to go with this.....and my personal paranoia: I know how to cook, the wife knows how to cook, DIL knows how to cook....all in a safe, clean, manner. At a potluck, one never knows if the prep was done in anything like a sanitary manner.

Even though I recognize that most public eating places would be 10x worse, I can't enjoy potlucks for worrying about tht sort of thing.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN