cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A/B Switch for satellite?

JerryofWV
Explorer
Explorer
Does someone make an A/B switch for satellite?

I have a roof top satellite antenna and a tailgater that I would like to be able to switch between.
Jerry & Dee Dee Pauley

2005 Monaco Monarch SE, Workhorse, Falcon II tow bar, ReadyBrake, 2012 Jeep Liberty Toad

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything they have.
5 REPLIES 5

JerryofWV
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I didn't want to buy something that would not work.

Jerry
Jerry & Dee Dee Pauley

2005 Monaco Monarch SE, Workhorse, Falcon II tow bar, ReadyBrake, 2012 Jeep Liberty Toad

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything they have.

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
ljr wrote:
I use one of these.

I have several very similar switches I have purchased from Summit Source. I have bought coax connectors, coax tools, slip on "F" fittings, coax power inserters (when my distribution box antenna amp died), dual lead coax cable and other antenna/satellite supplies in the past. Good source, good people.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jerry, depends on how you want to run it. Here's what I did with pictures. I use the roof top unless blocked by trees. In that case, I haul out the regular dish and hook it up to the bay cabling. You'll need two A/B switches and a multiplex switch. In my case, I have the UPPER switch to the UPPER sat antenna and the LOWER switch to connect the cabling in the LOWER bay compartment...:)

To run TWO televisions off a ONE LNB dish you'll need a multiplex switch. See link below. You'll need to run TWO coax cables from your sat dish to your multiplex switch. From the multiplex switch run one set of coax to your front DTV box and the other set to your rear one. This assumes, of course you're using DVRs. If you're using only the basic DTV box then you'll only need one coax from the multiplex to each box.

I added an extra coax from the outside compartment so I could use the external dish if the dome was blocked by trees. I then added a set of A-B switches from the multiplex switch. The top, or A is for the top dome and the bottom, or B is for the external dish......Good luck...Dennis

Multiswitch

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

hsteinle
Explorer
Explorer
You can use a regular a/b switch---doesn't have to be a special one. I use one to switch between my Winegard Slimline and my Kingdome 'in motion' system. There are actually TWO a/b switches I use with two lines from EACH the Winegard AND Kingdome going into the a/b's then one wire from each into the two inputs on the back of the dvr.
Harlan
Mesa AZ/Durango CO
โ€™07 Alfa So Long Gold #4322
Cummins 400 ISL
Toad:
-Harley enclosed "Toy Carrier" cycle trailer, or
-โ€˜01 Jeep Wrangler, or
-'11 Ford Explorer Limited

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use one of these.