cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

And this is the Microsoft you want to just

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
go into your computer and install any old thing the want when ever they want? How many of the new Windows 10 updates have messed up people's computers - half of them? At least previously you could wait a month after an update was released before you installed it to see if it was going to cause problems and they had to retract it. Now, with even Windows 7 you'll have no options, MS will automatically download updates if you don't turn them off. I have turned all up updates off on my Windows 7 desktop.

It looks like I'll have to live with them on the Windows 10 laptop because there's no way to stop the updates yet. Actually I am stopping them because I haven't turned it on in a couple of months....

More problems with Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.
19 REPLIES 19

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
To stop auto updates in 10, go to control panel/administrative tools/services. Scroll down to Windows Update, double click it, and set the startup type to "disabled. Click OK, etc.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

sherlock62
Explorer
Explorer
AsheGuy wrote:
sherlock62 wrote:
Look you will find the Windows.old folder after the Win 10 Anniv. install.
Not on my laptop that has 1607. Maybe it was an option but I don't remember making the choice. Not that it matters to me.

Well, I have worked with over a dozen PC's that completed the Win 10 Anniv. install and each displayed in settings they were running Version 1607 ......and each of those PC's has the folder named Windows.old .
There is no option during the move to Win 10 Anniv. to make this folder but it is made.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
sherlock62 wrote:
Look you will find the Windows.old folder after the Win 10 Anniv. install.
Not on my laptop that has 1607. Maybe it was an option but I don't remember making the choice. Not that it matters to me.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

sherlock62
Explorer
Explorer
The "Anniversary Edition" is actually a complete, clean install of the operating system. It does not update your existing/old Win 10 but rather installs a whole new Win 10. During the new Win 10 install, your software and settings are migrated to the new Win 10. After the process, the old Win 10 is parked on your PC's hard drive in a folder called "Windows.old". Look you will find the Windows.old folder after the Win 10 Anniv. install.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
2chiefsRus - Thanks for the walk through... I have the Windows 10 Home Edition and the Version is 1511...

That is what I got I guess with the August 8 WIN 10 UPGRADE files.

After reading things this is how they are prepping your computer for the WIN 10 Anniversity version I guess...

Will be on the lookout for the Version 1607 Upgrade...

I hate upgrades - ruins my world real quick... Guess they are necessary... I've been fighting downloaded UPGRADE changes WEATHER UNDERGROUND just laid on me a week or so ago... Jut now getting back to something that looked like what I was last week.

My Dell Inspiron 5737 Laptop sets in the corner here on my desktop with the lid closed and just screams along - fastest computer I ever owned... The only time I ever open the lid is to hit the startup button...

Then when we head out on trips I just grab the laptop and hit the road. I'm pretty much setup the same in my OFF-ROAD POPUP as i am here on desktop operations. Used to play the computer DOCKING game but now all we do is plug in a high speed USB cord into the laptop. Hardly any change in OPS on the road except sometimes my email get gobbled up abit on where they get stored mostly. My VERIZON MIFI Internet is just a tad difference from my local METRTOCAST Cable Internet I guess...Easy fix when I get back home when this happens.

I've never messed with the Microsoft 'cloud' here or any other WIN 10 features. Just seems like a great place to get hacked from... I still carry several ZIP DRIVES (My file cabinet) with me with all of my 'ME' stuff...

I'll get with the trusted programs one of these days hehe...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess this all explains why a bunch of updates installed for no apparent reason. I thought I screwed up my settings but when I checked them they were the way I left them. They are not waiting for Oct 1st it seems. At home I don"t care but on the road is a different thing. Can you tether a tablet to an Android phone? I'll be working on that or the Chromebook idea.
Puma 30RKSS

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
My latest WIN 10 updates all came on August 8 2016. I don't see anything here related to the WIN10 Anniversary Update...

I was told I would have to Microsoft and download it myself if I wanted to have it...

How can I tell if I have it or not??? Can you give me the KB number of the WIN 10 Anniversary Update.

AS far as I know all is running fine here. I am running WIN 10 in WIN 7 mode with ICONs down the left side of the main screen with task bar on the botton. The main screen is running several of my Night Scenes in screensaver mode.

Never wanted to have a screen full of active small window tabs of all my programs. I only load up the ones I normally use at startup using bookmarks just like I did in the WIN7 and WIN8.1 days

Everyone that walks in says I thought you changed over to WIn 10 haha

Roy Ken

The 1st anniversary W10 update is a big one. Approx 3.5 gb download. After the install you will see Windows 10 Version 1607 in the update history.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
wildtoad - Check you systems and see which KB number got installed... I don't think I have WIN10 Aniversity but did get a bunch of updates on August 8...

What is the KB number update for your WIN10 Aniversity install.

Thanks

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just downloaded the Win 10 Anniversary update (it is a big file) , installed it (over an existing Win 10 installation, and takes quite a while), and everything still works, just as it did before. Start menu is a little different, but no big deal. Since my laptop is on a cable modem / in-house Wi-Fi I have no issue with automatic updates chewing up bandwidth, but understand those that do.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
My latest WIN 10 updates all came on August 8 2016. I don't see anything here related to the WIN10 Anniversary Update...

I was told I would have to Microsoft and download it myself if I wanted to have it...

How can I tell if I have it or not??? Can you give me the KB number of the WIN 10 Anniversary Update.

Roy Ken

To see what version of Windows 10 you have, go to Settings, System, About. You will see Organization, Edition and then Version. The anniversary edition is 1607. The one prior to the Anniversary edition is 1511 to the best of my knowledge.

I also set my Verizon hot spot to be a metered connection to stop the auto downloading of updates. I still click on Windows Defender icon to manually download those updates. The system still downloads those windows defender updates on my metered connection if I manually select them.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:
az99 wrote:
Win 10 is no longer called an OS, it is a service. You continually pay for a service. That is the direction they are leading the sheep. They did not update Win 7 computers to 10 for free because they wanted to reduce profits.

Many of the programs are going to "monthly service" instead of buying the disk or download the program -- Adobe, for example. It forces the photo guys that use Photoshop to pay a monthly fee now, and if you stop paying, you lose the ability to process photos.

I'm not positive about this statement, but I believe in order to use the program while processing, you have to remain on the 'cloud', which means online the entire time. IF that's true (and if it isn't now, it will get there eventually) then any photo guy with limited hotspot data plan (like myself) will eat that plan alive each month.

We're on three PC's with Win7 on all - will never update to Win10 until that "warm place" freezes over. Letting MS into my PC whenever it wants, well, that ain't gonna happen. Period - at least not with me knowing it ...

Adobe's Creative Cloud requires you go on line to the company once every 90 days. After being off line for more than 2 weeks, you get a message letting you know that it hasn't "talked" with your computer. It does not automatically update your software, but lets you know when updates are available, informs you what the update covers, and the size.

The products operate off line with no problems. Although I have not tried going the full 90 days without contact, I used Dreamweaver, Photoshop & Lightroom as well as a number of their other cloud based products while not connected to the internet for weeks at a time.

As to the subscription replacement for yearly updates, I have mixed opinions. I do like the updates & "fixes" that happen more often with the subscription service, and with the amount of Adobe software I use, don't spend more with the Creative Cloud than I did with annual updates of the past, but I have to admit I cringe at the thoughts of the service disappearing. I do keep copies of the last non subscription releases of all the software, but as the new features come along, going back would be tough.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
az99 wrote:
Win 10 is no longer called an OS, it is a service. You continually pay for a service. That is the direction they are leading the sheep. They did not update Win 7 computers to 10 for free because they wanted to reduce profits.

Many of the programs are going to "monthly service" instead of buying the disk or download the program -- Adobe, for example. It forces the photo guys that use Photoshop to pay a monthly fee now, and if you stop paying, you lose the ability to process photos.

I'm not positive about this statement, but I believe in order to use the program while processing, you have to remain on the 'cloud', which means online the entire time. IF that's true (and if it isn't now, it will get there eventually) then any photo guy with limited hotspot data plan (like myself) will eat that plan alive each month.

We're on three PC's with Win7 on all - will never update to Win10 until that "warm place" freezes over. Letting MS into my PC whenever it wants, well, that ain't gonna happen. Period - at least not with me knowing it ...
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
NOt a problem for me
1: I have 3rd party MPEG support
2: I have taped over the web cam (I do not use it) if I need a camera I use the one on my 'droid.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

az99
Explorer
Explorer
Google - " how to disable win 10 updates permanently". You go in to the registry keys and change the updates to Disable.
Mine has not updated since 11/15 when I called MS and demanded they fix the botched 11/15 update my new computer took. I told them my computer was used at many different RV park wifi's that could not handle large downloads. I also told them that I was not going to remember to go in and block metered connections. I also told them their new POS Win 10 was totally unacceptable with forcing updates. They said they have many complaints about it and may possibly change the update policy.