cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

another antenna question

AlmostBoatless
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for your advice. Need followup to the suggestions we got here. Not sure how to add a link to the thread I started here, so I copied some of my the previous post here: We are in a rustic CG in Tamworth, NH for the summer, no cable TV. We only have our new Winegard batwing for antenna TV and we ONLY get one channel (ABC network). WE have tried moving the antenna, nothing more. We would love to watch NBC (for the Olympics) in August (no need for anything else, just NBC). We understand just enough to be dangerous about TV reception...

I spoke to a tech on Solid Signal and asked about Antennapoint. We are very close to getting NBC. He was very helpful and suggested that MAYBE the Rabbit or the Blade could pull in NBC without going to satellite and DIsh.

So my question is has anyone used the Rabbit or the Blade on your computer?

Thanks again for your comments!
13 REPLIES 13

AlmostBoatless
Explorer
Explorer
RK911 - perfect pictures, we will be attempting this when the 'add on' arrives here at the CG this week. Great description, appreciate your time.

Jeff, makes sense, so thank you also!

I'll post the results to this on-going Olympic saga, thanks to you all!

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
clicky

however, this device requires either a cable or OTA input signal. it basically turns your PC into a TV. in the case of the OP it won't help one bit as he's only getting one OTA channel.

now, if the OP uses a residential TV antenna and amp and can bring in more than the single channel and the OP either doesn't want to or can't use his TV or wants a second screen in the TT then this device would have value. when my bro-in-law stays with us in our home he uses a similar device on our cable TV system.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
I use one of these connected to my laptop and an external antenna, seems to work ok.
https://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-1191-WinTV-HVR-955Q-Tuner-Notebook/dp/B001DEYVXO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467900219&sr=8-1&keywords=Hauppauge+1191
1998 Class C Lazy Daze 26 1/2 island bed
banks intake/exhaust
wifi/4g/siriusXM/DTV/DirecTV/CB
2xGeorbital electric bike conversions

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
AlmostBoatless wrote:
Thanks for the clarity. Perfectly understood now. No one is getting more than one channel here, they all have satellite or DIsh.

We have the first one, of course! Not the Sensar IV. The Rabbit and blade are for the computer. Thank you for the info.

We would not want to be rude on the streaming either! LOL! We do have a data plan on the jetpack and at this point, I guess I will have to increase the data on my Verizon plan for the month of August. We do have a 'smart' TV but of course, unsure how to use this with my jetpack. I guess that is what was referred to as 'streaming' on my laptop. Shall I 'stream' to the TV or the computer if we go this way?

The educational saga continues! Again, thank you!

Last question, can I get the Wingman add on, the sensar booster and add it to my Winegard? and would this get the UHF NBC 44 channel do you think?
Nobody can guarantee what you can and cannot get by adding this extra gear, but the fact that the neighbors are all getting only one station isn't a good sign.

If you are there for any length of time, a mast, high gain antenna, and deep fringe pre-amp will beat anything for RV service. But again, it's no guarantee for anything
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
I would definitely find the wall plate and see if it lights up. Even if it does the voltage might not be getting to the amp in the antenna if a connector is loose. It is 12 volts so it will not hurt you so unplugging the coax at the antenna end and measuring it is easy.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
AlmostBoatless wrote:
Thanks for the clarity. Perfectly understood now. No one is getting more than one channel here, they all have satellite or DIsh.

We have the first one, of course! Not the Sensar IV. The Rabbit and blade are for the computer. Thank you for the info.

We would not want to be rude on the streaming either! LOL! We do have a data plan on the jetpack and at this point, I guess I will have to increase the data on my Verizon plan for the month of August. We do have a 'smart' TV but of course, unsure how to use this with my jetpack. I guess that is what was referred to as 'streaming' on my laptop. Shall I 'stream' to the TV or the computer if we go this way?

many years ago we used to carry DVDs with us and, using a serial connection to the TV (these days it would be an HDMI connection), we would stream the picture to the TV. essentially all you are doing is using the TV as an external monitor.

if your TV has an unused HDMI port (which looks like this):

and your PC has an HDMI port you should be able to run a quality HDMI cable from the PC to the TV and then change the input selection on the TV to this new connection. you may have to also make a change on your PC to use the TV as an external monitor. check the owner's manual or let google be your friend.

AlmostBoatless wrote:
Last question, can I get the Wingman add on, the sensar booster and add it to my Winegard? and would this get the UHF NBC 44 channel do you think?

the Wingman is designed to fit on just about any model of the Batwing antenna. I believe you said that your antenna is relatively new so that shouldn't be a problem.

the 'booster' or amplifier is in the head of the antenna (the part between the wings). it requires a 12v power source. I've yet to see a Winegard Batwing antenna install that doesn't have the power already run to the antenna (but then again I haven't see all installations). there is usually a wall plate somewhere near the antenna crank up that looks something like this:

it may be whire or black and it may not have the additional cigarette-lighter type power socket or antenna connector but there will be a button with an LED light next to it. locate it and push the button. that activates the amplifier in the antenna.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
The wing man is really cheap, goes on in under a minute with no tools and no wires.
Increased my reception , where I was sitting, from 7 channels to 22.
Way out you still won't get much, but since most of the HD chanels are now broadcast on what used to be called UHF, try the wingman UHF add on.
I also use a signal booster in the trailer, as my winegard didn't come with one, or at least, no switch plate for one.
I haven't been stumped yet in 4 years of weekending.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

AlmostBoatless
Explorer
Explorer

The educational saga continues! Again, thank you!

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
AlmostBoatless wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
The closest NBC station to you, WCSH 6, actually broadcasts on UHF channel 44. Do you have the Wingman add-on element on your batwing? If it's a Sensar IV, it comes with the Wingman included.

Feeling terribly embarrassed about now - not fun to be so inexperienced and so NOT tech savvy!

We have a new batwing, Winegard and believe it does have the 'booster' on it. We didn't pick it out, our repairman did last year, so we don't know, but will definitely be checking the paperwork/manual that came with it!

Thank you so much!

Anyone use the Rabbit or the Blade on the computer?

the Wingman is not a booster. it directs more UHF signals to the amplifier located in the head of the antenna.

this is what the Winegard batwing looks like without the Wingman add-on:

and this is what it looks like with the Wingman add-on. which do you have?

I've never heard of The Rabbit or The Blade...maybe you can tell us just what they are. but, if they're used on your PC they undoubtedly need an internet connection to work. there are just three basic ways to get an internet connection on the road...campground wifi, a cellular connection or via satellite.

you evidently don't have satellite so that's out.

campground wifi can be iffy depending on the number and location of the park's antennas and what type of connection they use for the internet. but most parks either automatically slow down connections or forbid their guests from streaming any sort of data, especially video. it's also considered rude and selfish as the data throughput is finite and streaming is a data hog. think of an apple pie. streaming video will grab a huge majority of the pie leaving virtually nothing for all of the other campers to share.

cellular is a good option but it's expensive to stream video and TV. if you have a smartphone or tablet it's likely you can use it as a hotspot to connect your computer to the internet.

a question for you:

1) are any of your campground neighbors getting more than 1 channel on their over-the-air antennas?
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

AlmostBoatless
Explorer
Explorer
darsben1 wrote:
separate rotating antenna on a tall, tall pole

https://www.amazon.com/ViewTV-Outdoor-Amplified-Antenna-Rotation/dp/B017JEF126/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1467821175&sr=1-4&keywords=outdoor+tv+antenna

Thanks for this info! My question would be how tall is tall, tall? we have some trees but not really near us and the Ossipee mts somewhat close.

AlmostBoatless
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
The closest NBC station to you, WCSH 6, actually broadcasts on UHF channel 44. Do you have the Wingman add-on element on your batwing? If it's a Sensar IV, it comes with the Wingman included.

Feeling terribly embarrassed about now - not fun to be so inexperienced and so NOT tech savvy!

We have a new batwing, Winegard and believe it does have the 'booster' on it. We didn't pick it out, our repairman did last year, so we don't know, but will definitely be checking the paperwork/manual that came with it!

Thank you so much!

Anyone use the Rabbit or the Blade on the computer?

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
separate rotating antenna on a tall, tall pole

https://www.amazon.com/ViewTV-Outdoor-Amplified-Antenna-Rotation/dp/B017JEF126/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1467821175&sr=1-4&keywords=outdoor+tv+antenna
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate