cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Apple TV will not connect

Buckeye_Chuck
Explorer
Explorer
bought an Apple TV unit but it does not work in our resort. It will connect to the internet but will not access the main menu. Apple support says that one or more ports may be blocked and I should contact the administrator. Problem is that there is no administrators here at the campground it seems the campgrounduse as a service for their wifi. Anyone else have this problem?
2012 F250 Lariat 6.5ft. bed, 6.2L, 3:73 Gears
2013 Sabre 33CKTS-6
7 REPLIES 7

cochise49
Explorer
Explorer
Never been able to stream video on park wifi. Verizon LTE or even 3G...yes but, 1 GB for each hour of HD video and the some apps won't let you downgrade the video. Hulu won't and netflix won't on apple TV. You can downgrade netflix on a computer though. If you order SD video maybe save some bucks. Still won't work on park wifi though.
Bev& Keith
2014 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake

rhingst
Explorer
Explorer
That is why we have both a Verizon MiFi and an AT&T MiFi so we are covered pretty much everywhere. We don't rely on RV parks service for internet since most of them are crappy.
2008 Ford F350 Lariat Crew Cab Powerstroke SRW
2007 Hitchhiker Discover America 339RSB

Traveler_II
Explorer
Explorer
n7bsn wrote:
Tengo is one of the worst internet providers a campground can contract with. They provide zero support.
We have had more problems with campgrounds using Tengo then all others combined, including ones that the kids of the campground owners did the setup.

But more (most?) campgrounds are blocking the use of devices like AppleTV over bandwidth consumption concerns.

While your home connection handles a single streaming video connection just fine, think about what kind of connection a campground would have to have to handle say 100 streaming video devices, all at the same time.

X2 on the Tengo. We find in many cases the parks that you pay for the internet gives poorer service.
2011 Cameo 34SB3
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, Mor/Ryde pin box, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights Camped in 2012 - 142
Nights Camped in 2013 - 186
Nights Camped in 2014 - 185
Nights Camped in 2015 - 231
Nights Camped in 2016 - 162

Buckeye_Chuck
Explorer
Explorer
I never thought about the bandwidth problem. Makes sense to me. Talking to my neighbors I've learned that our marginal wifi becomes much slower during the summer months. I have a Net Gear booster but it actually decreases the signal. Go figure. I know NOTHING about this stuff. Grrrrrr.
2012 F250 Lariat 6.5ft. bed, 6.2L, 3:73 Gears
2013 Sabre 33CKTS-6

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Tengo is one of the worst internet providers a campground can contract with. They provide zero support.
We have had more problems with campgrounds using Tengo then all others combined, including ones that the kids of the campground owners did the setup.

But more (most?) campgrounds are blocking the use of devices like AppleTV over bandwidth consumption concerns.

While your home connection handles a single streaming video connection just fine, think about what kind of connection a campground would have to have to handle say 100 streaming video devices, all at the same time.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
We have the same problem with our Sony TV box. It won't work using the RV Resort WiFi but works fine at home using our WiFi router. It has to do with the manner in which the RV resort WiFi provider (Tengo at the resort we were at) needs the device to log into their system. Tengo couldn't help us get it to connect.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
This isn't the answer you are looking for, but the reason the ports are blocked is so that people can't stream video content and suck up all the bandwidth from other users. Typical bandwidth in a CG isn't any more than you might have with broadband at home.

You might want to look into using a 4G hotspot that you pay a monthly fee for.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)