cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ATT IPhone Hotspot vs Mobley

Dutch4204
Explorer
Explorer
I have an unlimited 25gb data plan thru AT&T (it can slow down at 25 gb). I can use my hotspot on my phone up to the plan limit of 25gb then it says it could slow down.

The Mobley is unlimited but could be slowed down at 22 gb. I’ve been reading a good bit about the Mobley and it sounds rare that it slows down. I’ve never hit the limit on my current plan to know if imine would slow down.

My question is, would I really have any benefit of getting the Mobley, or is my data plan just as good and I could possibly use the hotspot well past the 25gb limit?

Any insight appreciated!
7 REPLIES 7

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Adding a Mobley to an existing plan would not an advantage over using your phone or a MiFi device with your existing plan. The only thing that made the Mobley a unique and valuable addition to those of us who rely entirely on cellular for internet was the $20/month 22GB (limited unlimited) plan. I love hearing everyone calling these unlimited plan. I don't know how Verizon and others have been able to convince consumers that the word unlimited equals limited to 22 or 25 GB at a reasonable speed.

This is so very true. If you have an existing AT&T plan that will allow you to add a hot spot device for $20 s month, a Unite Explore or even a Unite Pro would be a MUCH better choice than adding a Mobley.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Adding a Mobley to an existing plan would not an advantage over using your phone or a MiFi device with your existing plan. The only thing that made the Mobley a unique and valuable addition to those of us who rely entirely on cellular for internet was the $20/month 22GB (limited unlimited) plan. I love hearing everyone calling these unlimited plan. I don't know how Verizon and others have been able to convince consumers that the word unlimited equals limited to 22 or 25 GB at a reasonable speed.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Dutch4204
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Of course the problem at the moment is that not only are Mobley's hard to come by, the $20 Connected Car unlimited plan appears to be gone now as well, so your questions may be moot.

That said, we've used 70+GB in a month a few times on our Connected Car unlimited plan and have never noticed any unusual slow downs so far. We do have a couple of Verizon Jetpacks on unlimited 3G plans that we can use as backups if we happen to hit a poor AT&T signal area, but it hasn't happened so far.

As of yesterday they were available on ATT website. I’ve been checking almost daily for a while to see if they would sell more. When I went to order one it wanted to add to my existing plan for $10 per month with a 2 year contract. That’s what made me wonder if it would be the same as my hotspot.

Dutch4204
Explorer
Explorer
jcpainter wrote:
Dutch4204 wrote:
I have an unlimited 25gb data plan thru AT&T (it can slow down at 25 gb). I can use my hotspot on my phone up to the plan limit of 25gb then it says it could slow down.

The Mobley is unlimited but could be slowed down at 22 gb. I’ve been reading a good bit about the Mobley and it sounds rare that it slows down. I’ve never hit the limit on my current plan to know if imine would slow down.

My question is, would I really have any benefit of getting the Mobley, or is my data plan just as good and I could possibly use the hotspot well past the 25gb limit?

Any insight appreciated!

Which "unlimited" plan do you have? (what is the name of the plan?)

I just checked their website and it doesn’t have a name. It doesn’t seem to be offered anymore as the new plans limit the hotspot usage to 10gb per line.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Of course the problem at the moment is that not only are Mobley's hard to come by, the $20 Connected Car unlimited plan appears to be gone now as well, so your questions may be moot.

That said, we've used 70+GB in a month a few times on our Connected Car unlimited plan and have never noticed any unusual slow downs so far. We do have a couple of Verizon Jetpacks on unlimited 3G plans that we can use as backups if we happen to hit a poor AT&T signal area, but it hasn't happened so far.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch4204 wrote:

Any insight appreciated!

Which "unlimited" plan do you have? (what is the name of the plan?)

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
I have not used a mobley, but like you have heard positive reviews, the one thing that I would think of as a negative for you is that both devices will be on the same carrier. If one were Verizon you would likely improve your coverage areas.