cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black box with white x instead of Picture in signature.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Lately I have noticed a lot of posts have the black box with a white x in it instead of a picture. It has happened a couple of time with my signature too.

Is something going on I should refer to a Mod.?
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
12 REPLIES 12

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I get an oops box.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
Usually it means that you need a special plug-in to display that type of graphic and you do not have it,, OR: the plug in that does the job crashed.

At least you get an "OPPS" box, When folks post Photo-bucket links I do not even get that. Dropbox works well.

Guess you didn't read all of the previous post :H
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:
I get the picture.

chevman

X2

Thanks 1492
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I get the picture.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

larry barnhart wrote:
right click on the box and hit on show picture. this is what I do

chevman

Yes, try this. And see if you get a server error page?

The few times I've seen this has apparently been due to the forum servers not mapping the sig files correctly.

BTW, the servers were upgraded not too long ago which coincided with much of the issues the forum has experienced recently.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Usually it means that you need a special plug-in to display that type of graphic and you do not have it,, OR: the plug in that does the job crashed.

At least you get an "OPPS" box, When folks post Photo-bucket links I do not even get that. Dropbox works well.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
The current forum software came online in early 2005.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure it's because the message board software was cutting edge in 2002...
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
right click on the box and hit on show picture. this is what I do

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
Corkey05 wrote:
I was just looking at my account for the same reason. Sometimes it's there, sometimes not. At least we're not alone. ๐Ÿ™‚

There is a difference between the picture not being there and the picture is replaced with a "not available" box.

If the picture is totally missing, then so should be the entire signature. One "cause" could be the forum policy that in all forums, except Forum Technical Support, signatures will be displayed at most once on any page. It is possible to see you signature in a tread in one post and not another, if they are on the same page. Also, as in my case, for this post, my signature is turned off.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
1 border collie (Boogie)

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
Lately I have noticed a lot of posts have the black box with a white x in it instead of a picture. It has happened a couple of time with my signature too.

Is something going on I should refer to a Mod.?

No need to notify the moderators.

In 2008, the forum lost all signature pictures. When the technicians corrected the issue with the picture server, the pictures would not show - black box with white x, black box with red x, blue box with white question mark, depending on the browser and OS. To restore a signature pictures members had to upload the picture again. Many did, a number has never done that. In the latter case, you will get one of the "picture not available" boxes. That explains some number of the black boxes with white x's you see.

Let's assume that the signature is properly on the server. The boxes with the x's or ?'s still mean the picture is not available to your browser at that time the page is displayed. There are a number of reasons why that may be. Among those would be the picture server is busy or offline and a slow connection timed out.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
1 border collie (Boogie)

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
I was just looking at my account for the same reason. Sometimes it's there, sometimes not. At least we're not alone. ๐Ÿ™‚
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292