cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capturing wifi signals

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I'd just show my new antenna as suggested by a guy in a computer shop. Works like a hot damn. Bearing in mind...I don't use a cel card or a stick...I grab a signal when I can from UN-encrytped sites. And please... no lectures.

I got a D Link N600 for $30 from Staples and then a pizza foil plate from a dollar store. 3 for 1.50. Sliced it open so that I could hang the adapter into the middle of the foil pan.

Crimp the bottom edge so it has a kind of flat bit...

Works like a charm.

Gary Haupt

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/
25 REPLIES 25

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to make this and try to pickup free unsecured wifi when I buy my $250,000 or more rig and camp overnight for free at Walmart!

havasu
Explorer
Explorer
One of the very best WiFi antennas can be made with a discarded 'prime focus' satellite dish. They are getting harder to find as the offset ones are now in vogue (they can work too but the primes are more efficient).

Finding the space for them can be harder but I have an old roof mounted sat Winegard single LNB antenna that I am getting ready to mod as a WiFi receiver along with a 2W booster.

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from General RVing
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
SkiingSixPack wrote:
Yep, there are the lectures 🙂

Being condescending to someone who warns you of danger of potentially devastating consequences such as prison or the hacking of your bank accounts or company server is a bit rude.

Besides, the very very minimal mentioning of such things hardly qualifies as a "lecture" :R

I find the OP's solution quite creative.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
Should I FedEx them to you? I'm also sharing them with the Anacortes village. Hand-outs at Gere-A-Deli tomorrow. I can only eat so much, in spite of how I look.

Oh you are so so funny.....just bring a mess of the goodies up in September.

Gary Haupt

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Should I FedEx them to you? I'm also sharing them with the Anacortes village. Hand-outs at Gere-A-Deli tomorrow. I can only eat so much, in spite of how I look.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
Gary

I have a bag of rubber grommets to project the cord as it passes through the pizza pan. I'll bring them in Sept. What will we ever do with the extra pizza pans?

Well Sir...you are older,so are SIR...I figure some crab and oysters/clams baked with butter might be a use for one of the pans.

Oh God..I just made my mouth water....

Gary Haupt

Cyborgie
Explorer
Explorer
I use a strainer and foil.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
Thought I'd just show my new antenna as suggested by a guy in a computer shop. Works like a hot damn. Bearing in mind...I don't use a cel card or a stick...I grab a signal when I can from UN-encrytped sites. And please... no lectures.

I got a D Link N600 for $30 from Staples and then a pizza foil plate from a dollar store. 3 for 1.50. Sliced it open so that I could hang the adapter into the middle of the foil pan.

Crimp the bottom edge so it has a kind of flat bit...

Works like a charm.

Gary Haupt

Google: "Cantenna"

Lots (and *LOTS*) of DIY antennas out of various "suff"..:W

~

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Gary

I have a bag of rubber grommets to project the cord as it passes through the pizza pan. I'll bring them in Sept. What will we ever do with the extra pizza pans?
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
SkiingSixPack wrote:

Just trying to warn others who may see this of what the dangers are of taking this advice. Just because somebody posts "no lectures" doesn't mean they aren't going to get one.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here we go.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

SkiingSixPack
Explorer
Explorer
My better half
DS-18,DD-17,DS-15,DS-15 (4 teenagers, in da house)
Summit Red Sunshine-4
Brandy Red Sunshine-At the bridge

The greatest thing you ever can do now,
Is trade a smile with someone who's blue now,
It's very easy just...

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
DiskDoctr wrote:
No lecture, but be aware that unauthorized use of someone else's network (if it isn't intended to be free like McD or Starbux) is a crime in the US.

That being said, nothing wrong with using a booster, repeater, etc to draw in weak signals you are permitted to use.

It doesn't take much to make a pretty big difference.

FYI. In an emergency, lay your cellphone flat on the roof of your car on speaker phone for a better signal.

Not to mention it's very easy for a hacker to set up an unsecure wifi network and allow people to think they're getting free wifi over it, while the hacker monitors every single thing that comes across the network.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4