Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

DanaMc
Explorer
Explorer
CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

This is designed to explain the basic approach to using your cell phone with your computer to connect to the internet. It is not intended to be an in depth coverage of the topic. Rather it is intended to help folks get acquainted with what is necessary and a suggested resource or two. The first step in this process would be to check with your cell phone carrier. Make sure there is no reason you canโ€™t use your phone like a modem. Some carriers can provide this for an additional fee.

It is the most cost effective way to keep up with your email and favorite web pages from nearly anywhere. In most cases you do not need a separate or different phone plan. You will use your plan minutes and can manage it to take advantage of the unlimited nights and weekends just as you might for conversations. Regular cell phone roaming charges may apply depending on where you are and whether your carrier has an agreement with the local service provider. This is no different than any other situation.

The key components needed are your cell phone, a special USB cord designed specifically for your cell phone. It will connect your cell phone directly to your computer via a USB port on the computer. Finally you will want software to manage the connection and compress the data being sent. There are many sources for this equipment. You can check with your local cell phone retailer. Radio Shack is a good source on this topic as well. But they will only be familiar with the phones they sell. I have been using SnapDialer. I have been very happy with the combination of Verizon and SnapDialer to connect to the internet.

Once your software is installed and configured for your internet service provider, you will only need to click on the Icon to launch your internet session. What service provider you use is not part of this topic. However there are many low cost or free email services such as Googleโ€™s Gmail, Microsoftโ€™s Hotmail, or Yahoo.

Below is some additional reading on this topic:

HOW-TO: Use your CDMA cell phone as a USB modem

Cell Phone Internet Connections

Cellular Fills Gap Between Hotspots

Looking for a boost in your signal? There are third party systems that can enhance your cellular signal and/or facilitate the use of a cell phone in your RV or your home. One example of this is Wilson Cellular Antennas & Amplifiers. Properly installed, these systems can enhance your range of coverage.

DanaMc
Matthews, NC
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH

769 REPLIES 769

BCam
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Wizard-

Thanks for your detailed explanations. I'm pretty computer literate, but the cell phone terminology is new to me. Up until your postings, I was very frustrated since I've had difficulty cross-referencing much of the terminology that has been used on this thread with that on Verizon's website. Your postings have decyphered a lot of it.
Bob C.

Gypsy1
Explorer
Explorer
Bill in Florida
You are absolutley right in your anlysis, Cingular does charge by the kb. I have a Sony-Errisson CG-83 data card signed on with Cingular. It costs me $79.00 + plus tax per month for unlimited service. I use it at home and on the road. The coverage is great, the speed is super for downloading, and browsing. The down side is that secure sites (https) sites are terribly slow. Not completely useless, but close. For thoses of us that whant to be able to access our bank accounts and pay bills on the road, wi-fi is the better solution. I havent tried it yet but the card I have is supposed to do wi-fi also. Anybody got any info on that?

All in all the card is a lot faster than the previous generations of cellphones for laptop hookup. I'll stay with mine until they come up we something better. (might be next week!)
Winny, Journey WKP32T, Cummins ISB 275 HP, Allison 2000MH, 5 speed Auto, Raptor Air Dog fuel pump, towing 2012 Nisson Xterra 4X4 Auto W/ drive shaft disconnect!

Crystaltoo
Explorer
Explorer
Does this advice for Internet access and cell phones work for PC's as well as laptops?

We have CellularOne phones. Does anyone connect with this company?

I used to have Verizon, but the billing was so atrocious I vowed never to do business with that company again. Once I made a change to my plan, the bill was never correct. Does anyone have better luck?
Crystal and Marshall
40' American Tradition
New Full Timer!

MrWizard
here is the info i normaly givet out.. with a problem like yours

but your 6100 may be EVDO capable

if you find your self connecting at cable modem speeds

400k up

you may want to

use the alternat QNC network, which is painfully slow But is free

verizon says NO tethering ( phone to computer via cable , blue tooth, etc ) ON the EVDO network with out a data plan and will charge big time overcharges or this..

here is the setup info HOW to

Phone(s):
1: LG vx4500
2: LG vx3200
3: QCP Slimlin 860 .. Retired

Provider(s):
verizon wireless
on the phone

navigate to menu- settings - 1xrtt data- port - port speed

set port speed to 230,400

if it is not already there

now select port type "rsc232'

this is also , likely to be already set

now plug the phone into the computer

goto dialup networking

create new connection

choose modem

find your phone under modems

for modem properties uncheck "wait for dial tone"

verzion is your ISP

phone number is #777

ID is your complete 10 digit number at vzw3g,com

111555xxxx@vzw3g.com

PW = vzw

you will be using your minutes if you are NOT on EVDO broadband network

if your phone shows 1xRtt in the phone window you are OK

if it shows EVDO.. better disconnect quick and switch to the QNC network

to use QNC

change ID to QNC

and PW to QNC
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Photog1,
Had the same problem, went through everything down at Verizon store and the techs couldnt get it to work. Bought a new laptop and it works perfectly. Thats what you should consider doing. Also the newer laptops, most anyway, have built in wireless so you can get WiFi at the CG's that offer it. WiFi surfs the web faster than the cell phone, but the cell phone works pretty good as well.

Good Luck
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

Photog101
Explorer
Explorer
does the computer give you a error message ?

what have you done so far ?

does the phone show as a modem ? under modems in the control panel ?

There are no error messages. I have done all that you and I talked about last month. The phone shows up as a modem and it shows up in the control panel.

With WIN 98 SE, I just can not get the two devices to talk to each other.

I had to recently remove the VzW software to get some WiFi software to work without a conflict. This is why some other people think that I have to upgrade to WIN XP (preferably PRO edition).

Wizard, what OS are you using with your LG phone?
"Doc"
Combat Vietnam Veteran Support our troops for serving our great country.
1997 Veri Lite RL1200 on a '02, K3500, CC, DRW, 8.1L, Allison, 4.1 gears, Bridgestone 225/70R19.5 tires.
'12 C2500, EC, 6.6L Duramax
A couple of older 5th wheels housing homeless vets.

MrWizard
Bcam

I have the LG4500 and the wife the LG3200

I use both of them to connect to the internet

buy the MOK from verizon for the 4500

it comes with the cable and the software

and it works like a charm

you will have 2 access options from the quicklink vzw dialer

QNC at 14.4K or 1xRtt at 230K burst avg speed around 60k for most people

it comes off you plan minutes as long as you 'nation enhanced services' on your account in my case NA-mou 'minutes of use' is $5 per month

check your billing receipts for NA being included

if it's not there call up verzion customer service and add it before you install the MOK swoftware and use it

MOK= mobile office kit

mou = minutes of use

NA = national enhanced services ( wireless web / GIN ) used to be called National acess
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MrWizard
Bcam

I have the LG4500 and the wife the LG3200

I use both of them to connect to the internet

buy the MOK from verizon for the 4500

it comes with the cable and the software

and it works like a charm

you will have 2 access options from the quicklink vzw dialer

QNC at 14.4K or 1xRtt at 230K burst avg speed around 60k for most people

it comes off you plan minutes as long as you 'nation enhanced services' on your account in my case NA-mou 'minutes of use' is $5 per month

check your billing receipts for NA being included

if it's not there call up verzion customer service and add it before you install the MOK swoftware and use it

MOK= mobile office kit

mou = minutes of use

NA = national enhanced services ( wireless web / GIN ) used to be called National acess
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MrWizard
I came on here to post a link

how to use your CDMA phone as a modemhttp://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000930027824

does the computer give you a error message ?

what have you done so far ?

does the phone show as a modem ? under modems in the control panel ?
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Photog101
Explorer
Explorer
I have an LG vx6100 phone with the office suite and USB cable. I have an older 300 MHZ laptop using WIN98 SE operating system.

No mattter what I do, I can not get the computer and the phone to communicate with each other.

I have been told that I have to upgrade to Win XP PRO to get the two to function together.

I have spent hours on the phone with VzW and I have also taken in the computer and phone to the local VzW sercive center, with no luck in getting the problem taken care of.

I have even had the help of a fellow forum member, that almost got it done, but still can not get the two to communicate.

Is there anyone that are using WIN98 SE with an LG vx6100 phone?

I am still confused with this wireless process.
"Doc"
Combat Vietnam Veteran Support our troops for serving our great country.
1997 Veri Lite RL1200 on a '02, K3500, CC, DRW, 8.1L, Allison, 4.1 gears, Bridgestone 225/70R19.5 tires.
'12 C2500, EC, 6.6L Duramax
A couple of older 5th wheels housing homeless vets.

n7nwl
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you may just have thr info I am looking for. I've had SprintPCS for many years, and recall that several years ago they did offer Internet access from your cellphone, but never had a need for it. Now, however, I do have an occasional need, and the phone that should work for it. Can you give me any info on the software I will need for the computer ? I have an LG325 phone and can connect it to the computer via either a USB port or BlueTooth. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give. Brad
brad

Ipanema
Explorer
Explorer
Following up on my earlier post, I have rechecked using my Sprint PCS Vision cell phone as a modem to my laptop and it still works just fine. Not the speed of cable's broadband, but nevertheless, it works at no additional charges.

Ed and Lilian

Penn State Class of 1956

jimraysr
Explorer
Explorer
There is a lot of information on VERIZON at the "internet by cellphone" Yahoo group.

If you have a phone that can do "Get It Now", then you should be able to use a data cable with it and go on the net for minutes used, which is free after nine and weekends for most plans.

Jim
Jim,Sr., Jean & Charlie Boy (K9) Ray 88 - 25'HR AlumaFrame, 460/C6, Looking for a new Dinghy, DirecTV, XM, 6-210amp GC, Separator, Link-10, PD9280/Wiz, ProSine 1800, PowerPoles, VZW Internet, Smith & Wilson

JamesRaySr@gmail.com
Glendale, AZ

rednoPs
Explorer
Explorer
Man oh Man....this is just so complicated. My problem with the $70+ monthly fee is that we only take a couple trips a month for just the weekends. But, I can hardly stand to be without my internet for that long. Right now we use At&t but I think I will switch to Cingular to get the Media Net unlimited for $24.99 monthly and use the USB connection.
Jim & Jill
Tootsie Pie, Lexi L'Roux, Maci Monet, Presley Paige
Winnebago Adventurer
2005 Nissan Titan

IT TAKES ALL KINDS TO MAKE THE WORLD GO ROUND

robbie69
Explorer
Explorer
hi
this does get complicated real fast-doesn't it. drove me nuts for the longest time. like you i have cingular nation but i think where the confusion comes in is weather you plan to use their service (big bucks) or you have a dial up you can use(just min used). i ended up getting a modem capible phone(nokia 6200) the data cable and then d/l(free) the nokia suite software. i have sbc dsl which also gives you dial up access so i use that. you'll end up calling cingular to get the gprs access point-hopefully who you get on the phone will know what that is-took me a few ppl to get it(write it down and keep-just in case) you'll have to enter it into your phone and make sure gprs(atleast on my fone) is turned on, install the software and fill in the blanks. should be fairly straight forward. note of caution-if you have more than 1 usb-remember which one you use as it will look there and make sure you aren't running nokia suite or have it open when you try to connect. takes a bit of fiddling around but it does work. don't expect to break any speed records but for email and simple stuff works fine. i use mainly for on line banking and email and it does ok. the thing i can't figure out-99% of all laptops have built in modems-why can't they make a fone to use as a phone and use the built in modem-then all you'd need is a $1 phone cable
2004 silverado 2500HD crew cab 4x4 long bed 8.1L gas hog
2006 skyline nomad 3260 platium edition, prodigy, reese dual cam
1 very part time camping son and 3 full time camping, 4 legged fur balls
1 SU (spousal unit) who loves rv'in as much or more than me