cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Disapointed with new Garmin

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought it in Palm Springs a few weeks ago. Have made our way through Yuma/Mesa/Tucson and Tombstone.
Out of 20 addresses it has been wrong a third of the time. Guiding us a mile off at times. For example using itโ€™s directory to go to Westwind RV Park in Yuma, a Park thatโ€™s been there for decades it directed us a mile to the west??
Also in the directory when you search for a business like say Best Buy, locations are listed where they have not existed for a long time.
Not impressed!
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek
50 REPLIES 50

wxtoad
Explorer
Explorer
ivbinconned wrote:
So my point is.....new, out of the box, it should be able to accurately fine old addresses and have adequate memory.

Keep in mind that although you may have just purchased the unit, it probably has been sitting on shelves for some time - at the Garmin factory, the distribution center and the dealer. Thus it pays to update it fresh out of the box. Just as you need to do with a new computer.
2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath
NE13

Jacksons
Explorer
Explorer
I still prefer the GPS to trying to keep county level maps for the entire country, but any time it suggests a gravel or dirt road, I check it out without the trailer.
there are settings to avoid dirt roads,and dead end roads. if you don't have the settings correct don't blame the unit. and never tell it to take the shortest route, always use fastest route
2002 Rockwood 8272s
2005 Yukon xl Denali 6.0
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
ivbinconned wrote:
Hope you stopped to catch a fish in Saskatchewan.
Just to stay on subject, my Garmin guided us up through Manitoba and Saskatchwan on Hwy 16 with no problem. We didn't fish on the trip but my two teenage grandsons that were with me on the way to Alaska picked up leeches by wading in a lake at our campground near Minnedosa, MB. ๐Ÿ˜‰ A learning experience.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hope you stopped to catch a fish in Saskatchewan.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
cross21114 wrote:
AsheGuy wrote:
I noticed your map - congratulations. You have the most visited places in an RV I've ever seen.
148K miles worth. ๐Ÿ™‚
- Our Blog -

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
AsheGuy wrote:

I noticed your map - congratulations. You have the most visited places in an RV I've ever seen.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
ivbinconned wrote:
Lots of frustration here...

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/garmin.html

Questionable source, check: Truth in Advertising

When I read the reviews on the Consumer Affairs website, I wonder if some of these people were actually contacting a Garmin site. When you do a search online for help on a product, it is easy to end up on a website that is a fake. It happened to me when I was looking for help on an Epson printer and realized I was not talking to an Epson support person but someone trying to extort me.

I don't use my newest Garmin much (because I prefer Google Maps on my phone) but I have never had issues with any of my Garmins or their support over the last 14 years of use. A sample of one user (me) is not significant of course, but it makes me wonder about the the overwhelming bad reviews on Consumer Affairs.
- Our Blog -

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of frustration here...

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/garmin.html

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
ivbinconned wrote:
Fizz. Itโ€™s not about me. Itโ€™s about a product.
How many times must I point out that my old Magellan has been more accurate!??

My comment was not aimed at you.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
A number of years ago I informed Garmin of a "paper road" that didn't actually exist located a mile or so from my house. After a couple of notifications, it disappeared after an update. I was impressed. Now, after the latest update of my NUVI 3580, the road is back!

I still prefer the GPS to trying to keep county level maps for the entire country, but any time it suggests a gravel or dirt road, I check it out without the trailer.

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fizz. Itโ€™s not about me. Itโ€™s about a product.
How many times must I point out that my old Magellan has been more accurate!??

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Last summer DW and I were looking for a NFS campground near Lake Michigan, and the Google Lady guided us down a gravel road that became a sandy road that turned into a two track ORV trail to nowhere. We eventually found the correct route, and I reported the error to Google Maps using the link on their site. Route is now listed correctly.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
You do all realize that Garmin covers the planet. There must be thousands of requests for corrections.
It's not all about you.

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well their we go. I just tried to file a report and comments with Garmin on their website.
With in their form I am to select my model. It is not listed.
They canโ€™t even list their products properly??
So I type in my model!
Rejected.