cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dish HD Satellite Dish

jarbra15
Explorer
Explorer
I have been a Direct Tv customer for 14 years and changed to Dish Tv this week. I have that many years of experience of setting up my Direct Tv standard definition dish. I am going to want Dish HD in my RV now and was wondering how difficult is it to tune in a HD dish as compared to a standard definition dish. I am also considering a Winnegard Pathway X2. Expensive!!
Brad & Carol
2001 Dodge 2500,Quad Cab, LB,5.9CTD,Auto,3.54
2004 Cedar Creek Silverback LRLFS
15K Lil Rocker hitch
Tekonsha-Prodigy Brake Controller
22 REPLIES 22

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big Katuna wrote:
Dish has beeps but it takes the box awhile to recognize a signal that you have to really go slow; much slower than Directv boxes I had.
DTV is pretty fast to react to a good signal, otherwise it would be a nightmare.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dish has beeps but it takes the box awhile to recognize a signal that you have to really go slow; much slower than Directv boxes I had.

And thats why I am going to get a Pathway X2
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
jarbra15 wrote:
I loved the comment that you could literally throw the Direct Tv dish on the ground and it would work compared to setting up an HD dish.
Yeah, that's pretty much how I felt the first 12 times I tried setting it up. The worst part is that DTV took the beeps out of the HD receivers. Why, I have no idea.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
We have the Pathway X2 antenna. It acquires the satellites automatically (self-pointing) as long as you have an unobstructed view of the sky. Full HD on a 211Z receiver and DVR capability with an external USB hard drive. It works very well for us.

Rob

X2

jarbra15
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, thanks for all the input guys. I'm scared now and will likely part with my $$$'s and buy the Pathway X2. I loved the comment that you could literally throw the Direct Tv dish on the ground and it would work compared to setting up an HD dish.
Brad & Carol
2001 Dodge 2500,Quad Cab, LB,5.9CTD,Auto,3.54
2004 Cedar Creek Silverback LRLFS
15K Lil Rocker hitch
Tekonsha-Prodigy Brake Controller

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
And only a tripod mounted hybrid LNB will work with the new 16 tuner Hopper 3. The Trav'ler can be converted to work with the H3, but it does require jumping through a few hoops.

When I installed a Hybrid LNB on my Travler in February, it was hairy, but that's because I was the first person to do it.

However, since then several others have performed the modification in order to use a Hopper 3 in an RV.

It's not a big deal . . . and for 16 tuners, well worth it.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
I just recently bought the Kings tailgater at camping world. Still on sale for 349.00. fully automatic and it works great. Had the Vu-qube that got both direct and dish. Sold it to my brother who could not afford a new one since the Direct TV one is 100.00 more.He got a deal I paid 699.00 years ago, sold it to him for 300.00.This one is automatic and is HD. and supports 2 receivers. It has worked flawless. Just my 2 cents.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
we have Dish and Tailgater antenna. as long as I can find a hole in the trees to the southern sky it takes care of aiming.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
jarbra15 wrote:
I have been a Direct Tv customer for 14 years and changed to Dish Tv this week. I have that many years of experience of setting up my Direct Tv standard definition dish. I am going to want Dish HD in my RV now and was wondering how difficult is it to tune in a HD dish as compared to a standard definition dish. I am also considering a Winnegard Pathway X2. Expensive!!

Dish type antennas (you may skip this part)
Same Same.. The only difference is this
IF you used DirectTV (not HD) then you had only two settings.. With DISH or DIrecHDTV you have 3

TILT/SKEW (The third setting) you generally need only preset if the mast is level,m never adjust

how to do it

Of course if you are using the Pathfinder X-2. Then you do not worry about aiming the dish,m,, it's aimed automatically

Domes (Also Same-Same).
HOWEVER.. Domes like the X2 work only with a SINGLE receiver Else you are all restricted to the same satellite
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Which I can live with others camping. While the Hopper is cranking away at the house.

My primary req camping is pausing and watching my library.

The X2 does support two receivers.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, but not fully. If you want local Network programming, this is not available in the dual mode (72.7 only). If I remember correctly the X2 only works with the 211/411 series single tuner receivers so while you can record, you cannot watch one channel and record another which I consider the reason to own an DVR.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keep in mind that none of the automatic domes are supported by the multi-tuner Hopper DVR series receivers. Only the Trav'ler and the tripod mounted multi-LNB dishes work with the Hopper 2000 and the Hopper w/Sling. And only a tripod mounted hybrid LNB will work with the new 16 tuner Hopper 3. The Trav'ler can be converted to work with the H3, but it does require jumping through a few hoops.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

richheck
Explorer
Explorer
Brad:

I have been a Dish user for longer than I want to reveal. I have set up 4 antennas on my stick and brick homes but never was good at aiming the tripod multi LNB antennas with my RV. I presently have the Winegard Traveler 1000.2 mounted on my RV roof, fully automatic as long as no obstructions. If obstructed i carry a Winegard Pathway X2 fully automatic portable. Both work great with HD, the Traveler allows two sets to view differant channels even on differant satellites. The X2 allows two sets but both must be watching channels on the same satellite.
2013 Ford F-350 4WD DWD 6.7PSD
2010 Jeep Wrangler
2017 Landmark 365 Arlington

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
It's not easy......the first couple of times but it gets much easier each time you have to set it up. The biggest difference is that the 3 satellites you need to find are spread across 20 degrees of sky so you need a large open path to the Southern sky. Get an app for your phone.....I highly recommend Dish Pointer (Pro) from Augmented Reality. It uses the phones compass and camera to actually allow you to "see" the satellites in the sky.
For ease of setup something like the Pathway is an excellent choice as long as you do not plan to use a DVR or use more than 1 receiver. If you do then a tripod mounted antenna just like the one at home will let you do whatever you like.
Let us know what additional question the answers above have created.

Bill,

The Pathway X2 HD antenna supports DVR capability with the proper receiver/hard drive setup.
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015