cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dish TV in the RV

boshog
Explorer
Explorer
So the wife and I decided that we would like to take Dish TV with us on our summer camping trips. I did the research which left a couple questions and trying to decide which antenna is a nightmare. I've read the reviews, they are either "everything is wonderful" or "sucks, don't buy, doesn't work".

I want a plug-and-play setup so I've narrowed down the list of antennas to;
King VQ4510 Tailgater
Winegard PA-6002 Pathway X2

The X2 boasts it can tune in both the east and west arc, so?I don't know what the advantages are. I understand Dish split the country and have east and west birds servicing the viewerโ€™s needs. Does this mean if I'm camping west of the Mississippi the King Tailgater cannot tune the western arc?

We just want to watch a movie in the evening or some other favorite show while we are camping wishing away a rainy night. I know both of these antennas are newer and many reviews talk about earlier versions of both. For those of you using these newer versions, what say you? Another suggestion? Thanks.
37 REPLIES 37

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
boshog wrote:
Valkyriebush wrote:
boshog wrote:
Thank you everyone for the information. It is pretty clear to me the X2 is the way to go based on our wants. Simple and reliable setup, I'm camping for enjoyment and not to fight with equipment. The bride gets her dander up when rain-fade happens and I don't want that aggravation either ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm just going to grab the X2 bundle which includes the X2, tripod mount, VIP211z receiver, and coax. When we go full time, I'll grab the Dish receivers from the house but for now, the VIP211 will do all we want for our weekend trips.

The X-2 works with the 211 receivers only!

Then nothing left to do but get an external HD and pay the fee for DVR. Might just as well do that now. Thanks.

211K has Hard Drive installed. 211Z does not
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
when I ran my cable a long distance I put one of those < $20 in line boosters in and it did noticeably kick up the reception strength.
bumpy

Larry-D
Explorer II
Explorer II
boshog wrote:
Thank you everyone for the information. It is pretty clear to me the X2 is the way to go based on our wants. Simple and reliable setup, I'm camping for enjoyment and not to fight with equipment. The bride gets her dander up when rain-fade happens and I don't want that aggravation either ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm just going to grab the X2 bundle which includes the X2, tripod mount, VIP211z receiver, and coax. When we go full time, I'll grab the Dish receivers from the house but for now, the VIP211 will do all we want for our weekend trips.

That's the setup we use. Works great when the signal is strong enough. Just bought 200' of coax to get out from under the trees.

Remember in your installation planning the coax has to go straight to the receiver with as few connections as possible. We noticed a lot of signal loss with connection.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
boshog wrote:

Then nothing left to do but get an external HD and pay the fee for DVR. Might just as well do that now. Thanks.

I had to use a powered external HD, the USB powered one didn't work.
bumpy

boshog
Explorer
Explorer
Valkyriebush wrote:
boshog wrote:

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
boshog wrote:

Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

boshog
Explorer
Explorer

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Larry-D wrote:
It's bulky but rugged and you need to manually rotate the dome back to the transport position before going down the road.

isn't this a portable unit? why do you have to manually rotate it? if you have it roof mounted you have to climb up there all the time? or are you talking about mounting it at the top of the ladder etc.?
bumpy

Kenc_AL
Explorer
Explorer
I have had the Pathway X2 for 2-3 years and love it. Two other advantages not mentioned in other comments to date:

1) Two different times I have been able to get my "home" locals when way out of market. Once on the western arc and once on the eastern arc.

2) Last Super Bowl we had my Pathway and a Tailgater side by side both tuned into the same station off the same arc feeding 2 different TV's at a large party. A rainstorm came through, the tailgater went to SD and then lost signal (rain fade) the Pathway kept HD throughout the rain storm and never dropped the signal.

Larry-D
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tried two Tailgaters and they were both very sensitive to any blockage such as trees. Ended up with the X2. Bigger dish is less sensitive however trees will block it but much less so. It's bulky but rugged and you need to manually rotate the dome back to the transport position before going down the road.

Once set up there can be a lag to go from one arc to the next to go to specific channels.

Overall I'd give the X2 a little higher rating than the tailgater simply for the larger size of the dish inside the dome.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a Tailgater, and work very well for us, I am still fit enough that i prefer to place on the 5er roof.
1st time out place just above the kitchen vent, keep hearing this small motor noise.:h

Then we notice the noise cam when we changed channels!! It was the dish align for best reception. ๐Ÿ™‚
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
Agree the X2 should be your first choice.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
We have used our Tailgater all over the country. On a trip to Maine last summer we couldn't pick up all of the sats. Had limited channels and no HD. The rest of the country is OK. If I had a do over I would spring for the extra set of sats. There are times in the trees when you can't seem to get all of them. Having another set gives you a second chance at it. We use the DishForMyRV app on the Iphone which works great in locating where the sats are and trying to postion around the tree branches.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:

We use this all the time in our travels pointing at the local towns NATL BROADCAST Clear TV networks. TV reception is great at all the places we go to here on the East side of the US.

Roy Ken

I'm in Anastasia State Park (St. Augustine, FL) right now, buried in trees so I can't use my dish. I have OTA - 25 channels: 6 religious channels, 3 spanish channels, 1 kids channel, 5 old movie and really old rerun channels, 1 radio channel, 1 country music video channel, 1 car channel, 1 duplicate channel, 2 infomercial channels, and 4 channels I would actually watch - Fox, CBS, CW, and a CBS sub channel. The reception is great but there is very little reason to turn the TV on.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
RoyB wrote:
If you haven't tried it yet don't rule out having the OTA BATWING Crankup antenna for a backup source of Digital HDTV when on the road...

This uses your installed Digital HDTV items with nothing else required to make it work.

We use this all the time in our travels pointing at the local towns NATL BROADCAST Clear TV networks. TV reception is great at all the places we go to here on the East side of the US.

Roy Ken

When the NBC Sports and NHL channels plus the NHL Center Ice channels are available OTA everywhere we go, we'll use the OTA antenna more. Until then...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate