cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do I really need a RV Garmin?

bayoubelle
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the process of purchasing a new nav system. I have had several Garmin products, my Nuvi just died. My Streetpilot is still going, but the maps are about 10 years out of date and it is no longer supported, such a shame, it was a great little system.

I don't need it in my vehicles, both have nav systems, so I will only be using it in my RV.

Do I really need a RV nav system? I have a class C, 32ft in length and less than 12' in height. I am towing a Focus, so our overall length is approx 48'.

I always review which roads I am being routed on with a map and info from folks on this forum. I don't trust navigation systems to route me correctly all the time.

Advice? Before I spend $400 on a system.
Former 5ver owner
Upgrading to a Class C
35 REPLIES 35

az99
Explorer
Explorer
My 2797 works just about the same as a 760 except for height,weight and length. I would not trust any GPS unit if I had a tall or long rig.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis12 wrote:
If you have a phone you have a navigation system. Go to google and download Google Maps. Why spend 400? I use it all the time. I have found it to be right 99% of the time. Watch reroutes on it. It put me on a road with only 10ft clearances. Other than that it works well.

x2. My wife does my navigation with Google Maps. What I would suggest though is to get a small 11" tablet and use your Hot Spot on the tablet. Much easier to see and use.

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Bayoubelle,

Please forgive this interruption.

I am going to follow this thread. Have been using DeLorme 'topo' & 'streets & trips' for many many years.-now taken over by Garmin- I LIKE the ability to watch my progress along a given route. Have tried a couple on android system last trip. OK as a static map, but I like to watch my progress. I like to see stuff before the turn not after. But it is s CD loaded system & doesn't play well with my new electronics.

I guess I am a dinosaur. Have searched for years for a way to replace my old 20# laptop -DeLorme installed- Went with out it last spring. Got to be a game "...who's gonna get us lost this time....". All done with good humor. But it was a PITA. JM2ยข

TakeCare StaySafe HaveFun K

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I wouldn't for that much money. I went from a regular tom-tom to a Garmin and I do not like it. But I probably will mount it in the MH. Do you have a smart phone? Great for navigating although not sure about using it all of the time. Also, an RV park app is wonderful for finding campgrounds and getting you there. Way better than a directory and free to boot. Therefore, I don't need an RV navigation system.
Jayco-noslide

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Garmin at Fry's Electronics about 5 years ago. Cheap, plain jane. Came with lifetime updates too. In 5 years it hasn't gotten me lost yet. I like it better then the Nav system in my Tacoma truck. Also use the nav on my cell phone. It can locate all kinds of places.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
I spent about 30 years navigating the entire USA with a Rand McNally truckers atlas picking up and delivering goods with my tractor trailer and only a couple times got screwed up and then a quick call to the customer got me where I needed to be. Guess I'm old school because I still use a Rand McNally and have the GPS as a backup reference.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

JJnLilly
Explorer
Explorer
It is a matter of preference - like Coke versus Pepsi or Dodge versus ford/GM. I've tried mine in and out of RV mode. Out we were routed through an area with a 12' bridge, now just where I want to be towing a 14' high fifth wheel.
2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2020 Passport GT 2210

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ralph Cramden wrote:
I have a Garmin RV 760LMT That I just had to have when they first came out a few years ago, paid a premium of $400 when they first appeared on Amazon. I have found numerous discrepancies in its database over time and none were ever corrected in the updates. once it took me to a bridge that was washed out 3 years prior, while directing me to an ACOE campground in Vermont. Another time it took me to a locked gate at an ACOE facilities dam access road, when supposedly taking me to the campground requiring a 3/4 mile backup to get turned around and was 12 miles from the campground. Three different campgrounds in my local area are shown in the database miles from where they actually are. I reported all these to Garmin years ago, and they have never been addressed in updates. Add to that here in PA the RV function reports "RV accessibility unknown" unless you're on an Interstate or a highly used state route. Get in the northern PA wilds and that function is essentially useless.

All of that said I may let it go cheap, PM me. I also have the Garmin BC30 backup camera for it, and the extension cable to get the wireless transmitter up to the front of the camper, so it actually works.

Guess I did pretty good with my $69 Magellan. It actually shows campgrounds and how to get there (not that I care much)...lol
2015 Backpack SS1500

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Garmin RV 760LMT That I just had to have when they first came out a few years ago, paid a premium of $400 when they first appeared on Amazon. I have found numerous discrepancies in its database over time and none were ever corrected in the updates. once it took me to a bridge that was washed out 3 years prior, while directing me to an ACOE campground in Vermont. Another time it took me to a locked gate at an ACOE facilities dam access road, when supposedly taking me to the campground requiring a 3/4 mile backup to get turned around and was 12 miles from the campground. Three different campgrounds in my local area are shown in the database miles from where they actually are. I reported all these to Garmin years ago, and they have never been addressed in updates. Add to that here in PA the RV function reports "RV accessibility unknown" unless you're on an Interstate or a highly used state route. Get in the northern PA wilds and that function is essentially useless.

All of that said I may let it go cheap, PM me. I also have the Garmin BC30 backup camera for it, and the extension cable to get the wireless transmitter up to the front of the camper, so it actually works.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
If you want a big screen, you can always pick up a $50 tablet and mounting arm.

Touche':B
2015 Backpack SS1500

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you want a big screen, you can always pick up a $50 tablet and mounting arm.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use my iPhone all the time for my car. Voice prompts work well and I can see the maps all the time if I want. But then I use the built in Maps app. I don't trust Google maps anymore. It doesn't even send me to the right address for my house which is on a main road which hasn't changed in decades, but Maps ain't perfect either.

I DO use a RV Garmin in the mh mainly because it knows what an RV is and helps me stay away from low bridges. So far it has not been wrong.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
MarkTwain wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
bayoubelle wrote:
I am in the process of purchasing a new nav system. I have had several Garmin products, my Nuvi just died. My Streetpilot is still going, but the maps are about 10 years out of date and it is no longer supported, such a shame, it was a great little system.

I don't need it in my vehicles, both have nav systems, so I will only be using it in my RV.

Do I really need a RV nav system? I have a class C, 32ft in length and less than 12' in height. I am towing a Focus, so our overall length is approx 48'.

I always review which roads I am being routed on with a map and info from folks on this forum. I don't trust navigation systems to route me correctly all the time.

Advice? Before I spend $400 on a system.

I have had about 3 different Garmins and currently have the new RV Diesel truck 7" garmin. The 7" screen is outstanding to view when you are driving and bouncing down the highway. You can set your preference for each trip for "car" or "truck". The truck preference will give you information on the heights of tunnels relative to the height of your RV. Voice command is very useful when driving allowing you to make changes on your Garmin without using your hands as you are driving.

Garmins phone tech support has been outstanding for me. The tech's are very competent and have always solved any issue.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
I never had an issue where I needed tech support with the Garmin.

What I was alluding to was the forced obsolescence of the Street Pilot brought about by Garmin's lack of continuing map updates. That's bullspit in my view. The Magellan has lifetime map upgrades, well worth the 69 bucks I paid for it.
2015 Backpack SS1500