cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DVR with Dish Network with 211K Receiver

wademartin
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone added DVR functionality and the ability to record and pause live TV by attaching a USB external hard drive to the USB port on the Dish Network 211K receiver, if so, what brand and model hard drive do you use? I have a 19" TV with the 211K receiver and a Tailgater antenna.
2008 Ford F-250 XLT 6.4 Diesel
2004 Gulfstream Innsbruck 29' 5th wheel
11 REPLIES 11

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Yes.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Double post. Sorry.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I just installed a portable Toshiba Canvio 500 GB external drive on my 2-1/2 year old 211K receiver. The installation went smoothly and it seems to be working properly. I scheduled a program to record overnight to ensure the scheduled programs will record properly.

I bought the external drive drive at Walmart for $54.

http://us.toshiba.com/computers/storage/portable/canvio-3/

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
I have two 211K systems each with a 1TB WD external HD, each with external power supply. They work great as Bill W explained earlier. I unsuccessfully experimented with using a WD Passport drive so I guess the requirement for a HD with external power supply is accurate.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
Just added the HD to my 211k with the tailgater, very easy to do. The 211K manual,pg 74 I think says not a 2.0, not over 750GB HD with external power so I went with a $40 750 Segate works fine. The Tech support people said you could probably use a bigger HD and maybe even one without the external power.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
My 211k works great with my external hd. Just had to pay the one time $40 & now free w no monthly fees. I think mine is 750gb western digital. I also take it on the road with a tailgator. Sweet.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Works great with the VIP211K. WD seems to be the most popular and up to 2TB appears to be supported. It must be externally powered but it turns your 211K into a single tuner DVR with the added ability to record your OTA input if you connect that option turning into a "sort of" dual tuner DVR.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Shavano
Explorer
Explorer
Moved to Technology Forum

Moderator TT Forum

'15 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
'18 Forest River Avenger :C "Dolci"
Kipor KGE3500Ti

CHECK OUT THE RV.NET BLOGS!!

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure the external drive will work with the 211 receiver, but it will with the DVR receivers to expand capacity.

You will find a couple of discussions about the issues on the Escapees Satellite TV forum
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

blangen
Explorer
Explorer
"WD Elements 1 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive WDBAAU0010HBK-NESN by Western Digital" works well.

jmiller
Explorer
Explorer
Yes a lot of people have. I have not. Do a search and you will find a lot of answers.
Joel, Sallie and our lab Jager. (Chance RIP 9/12/12)
2014 Ford F150 SUPERCREW XLT MAX TOW/HEAVY DUTY PAYLOAD (April 2014)
2007 Trail Bay TB27RL
Hensley Arrow/Barker VIP 3500/Steadyfast/Dish Tailgater/Maxxis tires/2 Honda EU2000i's