cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dish receiver vip211k

travelrn2013
Explorer
Explorer
Just started full time rving as a travel rn and went to camping world to get a satellite dish which I did with the dish receiver. However, in the initial setup it goes thru 5 steps which everytime it gets stopped at the 2nd step and says installing switch and after about 20 minutes of trying to do that a window pops up that says make sure your connections are correct. I am direct connecting it to the dish for the initial setup and getting nowhere. The dish people don't have a clue either. Does anyone know if this a software issue with this receiver or is it the reception? Everything is set where they have told me to do it and I can't get past this initial setup. I'm about ready to take this thing back.
16 REPLIES 16

jimandlaurie
Explorer
Explorer
I too appreciate your guidance Bill.winegard. Could you please fill us in on your new solution? Thank you in advance.
2013 Chevy 3500HD Duramax
Nomad 25 Lite
25 C-Dory Cruiser
2 Shiba Inu travel dogs

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you DO NOT have a tailgater dome type antenna press the STAR (*) button on the remote to get to the antenna pointing page.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tug,
I am glad you are up and running and glad you found the instructions to be a workable solution. I have since come up with an even better (easier) way to get past that stupid step 1 of 5 setup routine in the new Dish software if anyone needs this in the future.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

NordicTug
Explorer
Explorer
A special thanks to Bill.Winegard for his guidance on the 211k/Carryout setup. After 2 1/2 hours on the phone and 6 different customer service/tech support persons, Dish got me no where but highly frustrated. Your instructions posted 3/13 hit the nail on the head. Worked exactly as you note. Again, a huge and gracious Thank You for sharing your knowledge.

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
blondie330 wrote:
I have a Vip211k receiver and a Dish HD 1000.4 antenna that we will be using while camping. We have spent countless hours trying to get set up and still cannot get a signal - can't even get off step number 2!! We are confused as to how many cables should actually be coming off the antenna, and then they must be connected to a splicer in order to only have 1 coaxial hooked up to the receiver?? We are so frustrated, and every time I call Dish Customer Service, I get someone who has a hard time speaking English and always sounds like she's eating food while trying to talk to me. It looks like maybe the antenna and receiver are not communicating with each other, but we are so frustrated we're ready to just smash the whole system and forget about it. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Looks like you asked this question in a new topic you started.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

blondie330
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Vip211k receiver and a Dish HD 1000.4 antenna that we will be using while camping. We have spent countless hours trying to get set up and still cannot get a signal - can't even get off step number 2!! We are confused as to how many cables should actually be coming off the antenna, and then they must be connected to a splicer in order to only have 1 coaxial hooked up to the receiver?? We are so frustrated, and every time I call Dish Customer Service, I get someone who has a hard time speaking English and always sounds like she's eating food while trying to talk to me. It looks like maybe the antenna and receiver are not communicating with each other, but we are so frustrated we're ready to just smash the whole system and forget about it. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
ljr wrote:
socal dmax wrote:
Bill is right on the money. When I got my 211K receivers,. both of them needed to download new software, which had to be done with an antenna that was already aimed, according to what I had read on the net. So the first time I used them, I connected them to my stationary dish at home.

This procedure Bill posted for getting the job done with the portable dish is invaluable, Dish Network people should have been able to give you this info, but obviously they're not as familiar with the equipment as Bill is.

I was next to a guy with a 211K and a dome who was having similar problems. I've always had manual dishes on a tripod so I wasn't much help. He finally connected to my 1000.4 for the rest of his stay and all was fine.

Am I to understand that now that his receiver connected and updated with my dish he could go back to his dome and all should be well?

Absolutely NOT! He will only be good while he is connected to your antenna. If he wants to use his dome he will have to start from scratch.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
mis-click, ignore
Larry

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
socal dmax wrote:
Bill is right on the money. When I got my 211K receivers,. both of them needed to download new software, which had to be done with an antenna that was already aimed, according to what I had read on the net. So the first time I used them, I connected them to my stationary dish at home.

This procedure Bill posted for getting the job done with the portable dish is invaluable, Dish Network people should have been able to give you this info, but obviously they're not as familiar with the equipment as Bill is.

I was next to a guy with a 211K and a dome who was having similar problems. I've always had manual dishes on a tripod so I wasn't much help. He finally connected to my 1000.4 for the rest of his stay and all was fine.

Am I to understand that now that his receiver connected and updated with my dish he could go back to his dome and all should be well?
Larry

socal_dmax
Explorer
Explorer

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is a known software issue when trying to do a new activation on a 211K (most any new Dish receiver) using any antenna other than a household type antenna. Getting it to work with the dome and single LNB antennas can be "quite challenging"! Assuming you are using this kind of an antenna, here is the step by step procedure to try to get beyond it.

If the 211k has the new DISH setup wizard software on it, this procedure will have to be followed:

1. Hook up the receiver to the TV alone, power it up and let it start the install wizard
2. When prompted to program the remote on Step 1, press the Record button. When it lists a number in the box on the screen, select continue.
3. When the screen progresses to Step 2 (Download Software), let it progress until it displays the screen that states to check your connections. At this point, select OK, then when it progresses back to the download software screen, press *#*# on the remote to enter the point dish screen.
4. Once on the point dish screen, set the satellite to 119 and the transponder to 11. Then connect the coaxial cable and once it is connected, plug in the 12V plug for the antenna. After a search, we should have a locked indicator for Echostar 119 west and a green bar. If in-motion, let it finish the conical here.
5. Once we are locked, select done on the point dish screen. It will take us back to the message stating to check our connections, press select and it will restart the process on the Download Software screen. Let this run it’s process (it will take 20+ minutes and will appear to be frozen at times, but it will finish if we are locked).
6. Test the screen resolution on step 3
7. Let it fail the Ethernet connection on step 4
8. Call DISH for activation at step 5

For the 311, 301, 501, 508 or 510 that installs only satellite 129 with a switch of either SWAJ, SW44 or SW21-3SAT, you do the regular setup but when going to install the second switch, select both superdish and alternative and put it through 50 steps instead of 38. The 311 is pretty good about resolving the issue but if need be, you can switch the customer to the hybrid and go for 119/110/61.5, which works with basically all of those receivers.

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
A easy way to test the cable is to unhook it at the dish and with receiver on, use a digital volt meter to check for dc voltage between the center wire and the outside of the connector. You should read about 14 volts.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
Is it a Tailgater antenna? That is what we have with the VIP211K receiver, and it sounds like the receiver is trying to go through a typical set up. We had a similar set up and found that one of the ends of the coax cable was not installed properly. Make sure the Tailgater is more or less level, set on a solid surface so it doesn't wiggle around, and has a clear view of the southern sky - it is a relatively small dish, and a few tree branches can effect reception. Try a different cable. Make sure both ends are crimped on tightly. Make sure the center wire on each end is not bent over and is going into the hole in the female connector. Make sure both ends are screwed on tightly and not cross-threaded. Make sure you are hooked onto the correct female terminal on the back of the receiver (there are three different ones on ours - you want the one marked input from dish or something like that - on ours it is the one closed to the end of the receiver).

If all that doesn't work, you have to have a defective dish or receiver. If you are already registered, the Dish tech service can so some remote trouble shooting and guide you through some self diagnostics.

Good Luck.
Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel

travelrn2013
Explorer
Explorer
Yes direct connect one cable from dish to receiver. Was a new cable out the box so I can't imagine it's bad. Don't have a meter. They didn't mention a meter. Do I want to get one of these and where?