cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Free Upgrade to Window's 10?

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
Got an e-mail from Microsoft saying I can sign up for a free upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1.

Anybody else got the e-mail? Are you signing up or are you waiting to see how it all shakes out?
34 REPLIES 34

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
strollin wrote:
...I will probably only move to Win 10 when I build or buy a new machine.

X2 and only when the major bugs have been exterminated.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
8.1 Van wrote:
I have been using Windows 10 since Oct 1 2014 and the latest build is the best Windows OS I ever used IMHO. BTW Windows 10 is free for Windows 7 and 8 users if you get it in the first year ( July 29 2015 to July 29 2016) and you could use it for free forever.

Microsoft Window 10 How to Upgrade

I've run every build of the Win 10 Technical Preview and IMO, it's simply an OK OS, nothing really special about it. I see no reason to rush to install it, especially since it's free to upgrade anytime within the first year.

IMO, Win 10 is not significantly different nor significantly better than either Win 7 or Win 8 so I doubt I will take advantage of the free upgrade on any of my personal machines.

I will probably only move to Win 10 when I build or buy a new machine.
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using Windows 10 since Oct 1 2014 and the latest build is the best Windows OS I ever used IMHO. BTW Windows 10 is free for Windows 7 and 8 users if you get it in the first year ( July 29 2015 to July 29 2016) and you could use it for free forever.

Microsoft Window 10 How to Upgrade

RFW63050
Explorer
Explorer
I have been running the Beta Release for the past several months with little to no issues whatsoever. Would recommend that you reserve your "free copy" before it is no longer free.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
tenbear wrote:
If I don't get the free version and buy Win 10 later, do I pay for it once or keep on paying for it every year or whatever the period is?
I know some people have suggested that Windows is going to become a subscription, but I haven't seen that in anything from Microsoft.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
strollin wrote:
tenbear wrote:
... After the one year period do you pay for it once or keep on paying for it every year or whatever the period is?

The uncontrolled updates would be a deal breaker anyway.

The upgrade is free period, you never need to pay, as long as you do the upgrade within 1 year of Win 10's release.

For the majority of users, automatic updates is a good thing as it will keep their computer updated to the latest without any intervention from them. However, it is an issue for people that are on a metered data plan.

I guess I worded my question wrong.

If I don't get the free version and buy Win 10 later, do I pay for it once or keep on paying for it every year or whatever the period is?
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
tenbear wrote:
... After the one year period do you pay for it once or keep on paying for it every year or whatever the period is?

The upgrade is free period, you never need to pay, as long as you do the upgrade within 1 year of Win 10's release.

For the majority of users, automatic updates is a good thing as it will keep their computer updated to the latest without any intervention from them. However, it is an issue for people that are on a metered data plan.
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
tenbear wrote:
The way I understand it Win 10, even if you get it free, is only good for a year. If you want to keep it more than a year then you have to pay again. It's not like previous Windows that you can use it as long as it works.

Not exactly...
The free upgrade will be completely free for up to a year...no charges or future charges or fees ever BUT ONLY if you take advantage of the upgrade within the one year grace period.

After that if you change your mind (1 year period) and decide that you really do want 10 then you will have to pay for it.

Thanks for the clarification.

After the one year period do you pay for it once or keep on paying for it every year or whatever the period is?

Explorer
Explorer
I have a laptop with Win 8.1 and have not yet gotten any notification about an update to Win 10 or any email. Perhaps they are looking to get the Win 7 users interested in Win 10 first. I have not gotten any icon on my Win 7 desktop and will never go to Win 10 on the desktop. I still use XP mode for what does not run on Win 7 and will never run on Win 10. Win 10 better be better than Win 8.1 which has too many quirks. Uncontrolled updates on Win 8.1 are terrible. I was at a campground with limited wifi and I went to shut down the laptop and it would not shut down without downloading and installing 20 updates. It took hours with the campground wifi. And there is no way to turn that off - I have everything that says update shut off in settings and it still does it.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
joebedford wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
The "standard" Win 10 will not allow you to defer updates until a time of your choosing. As a cellular data user that could cost me a lot of money so I see no option but to NOT install Win 10 or pay for a Pro version which does allow you to control your updates.
I know the alpha versions we have been running for several months have no provision for update deferral - only fast ring and slow ring.

Where did you get that information?

I read it on the information provided when I followed the links that were created by the Win 10 upgrade icon they forced into my notification area. Luckily I was able to get rid of the icon as well as the upgrade agreement I never intended to agree to.
Yeah, I went to the Windows 10 support Community and it's pretty clear that you have to have the Pro version to get control over your updates.

Personally, I don't care except for times I'm streaming a movie over my very slow dsl. I don't want the movie to have to compete with updates.

loneryder
Explorer
Explorer
If you get it you will be the Beta guinae pigs. I received the Windows icon on my Win 7 but it works great for me so will stay put. My GF has Win 8 and it's terrible. After a year, she still has trouble finding stuff.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
tenbear wrote:
The way I understand it Win 10, even if you get it free, is only good for a year. If you want to keep it more than a year then you have to pay again. It's not like previous Windows that you can use it as long as it works.

Not exactly...
The free upgrade will be completely free for up to a year...no charges or future charges or fees ever BUT ONLY if you take advantage of the upgrade within the one year grace period.

After that if you change your mind (1 year period) and decide that you really do want 10 then you will have to pay for it.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
joebedford wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
The "standard" Win 10 will not allow you to defer updates until a time of your choosing. As a cellular data user that could cost me a lot of money so I see no option but to NOT install Win 10 or pay for a Pro version which does allow you to control your updates.
I know the alpha versions we have been running for several months have no provision for update deferral - only fast ring and slow ring.

Where did you get that information?

I read it on the information provided when I followed the links that were created by the Win 10 upgrade icon they forced into my notification area. Luckily I was able to get rid of the icon as well as the upgrade agreement I never intended to agree to.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer

I have never bought a new version of Windows. My computers have always died before the current Windows became obsolete and would no longer work.

I guess when my computer dies I'll buy a new one with the current version of Windows installed, or maybe I'll try one of the freeware operating systems??? There are a lot of freeware programs out there.