cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Garmin GPS keeps taking us off main route

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure if this just started with the latest update or if it has always done it with certain roads. We just got the new GPS (Nuvi 67) at the beginning of the year so we could add a backup camera to it.

We traveled for thousands of miles down to Mississippi & Georgia - stopped at lots of CGs and sites without a problem.

Well, for our fall trip we stayed in PA going across Rt. 6. 6 is a minor highway - yellow on Google Maps. Many times the GPS would try to take us off 6 for what one would think would be a shortcut, but actually wasn't.

Here is one example:

Click For Full-Size Image.

The blue arrows are where the GPS wanted us to go, but when we ignored it and stayed on 6 the time recalculated to 5 minutes less.

Other times it would have saved us a minute (or none) to get off our main route and take a "shortcut".

DH is getting sick of me chiming in with "ignore the GPS"

Anyone familiar with this type of problem? Doesn't Garmin know we'd like to stay on our chosen route?

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics
25 REPLIES 25

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
I use a combination of mapquest and google maps. I have had instances where it will try to route you around traffic or construction. Does garmin use traffic reroutes?

It also looks like 6 may have longer stretches without services. I wonder if that could also factor into the route.

Never mind. Just saw the scale on your map. Not long distances.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I always plan my trip with Garmin BaseCamp. This way I can check that I am following the roads I want to . I then transfer the "route I have approved" to my old Garmin Streetpilot 2720. Love it.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
They all have their issues. Google wonโ€™t find my house and Iโ€™m on a main road. Keeps sending friends, delivery people to an address off the beaten path. Google earth however finds it just fine, as does my Garmin, and Apple maps.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sometimes mine acts like it's in a UPS truck: No left turns.

I can be looking directly at my destination and Garmin will want to direct me around the block to come in from the other side. It's so weird.. I don't remember the older units being so confusing.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Put Google maps on your phone. Problem solved
Dennis Hoppert

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
Garmin instructions are terrible. You could get online and read them and they still may not answer your question. (Says 20 years a Garmin owner of more than a few.) Most of the others are no better.

Try going into the setup and make sure that the things that are checked are what you want. Two that come to mind (I don't have a 67) are "Avoid Highways" and/or "Toll Roads" and then there is the faster time/shortest route choice to mess things up.

Good luck

Matt
Yeah, we've had Garmins for many years too. Our last one - a Nuvi 465 was a trucker one which we found we could hardly ever use the truck feature - it sent us all over H E double toothpicks.

We definitely have everything set correctly - avoiding only Ferries and Gravel Roads. The Gravel Road avoidance doesn't always work - we figure the map people just don't know that it's gravel. Also the other stuff is set correctly - fastest, not the shortest.

Since I still have the 465 I can compare routes and I never see it go off on those stupid nonsensical shortcuts.

href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, check the navigation settings. Might also look at your choice of "quickest route" or "shorter distance".

Also make sure "paved roads" is checked (or it might need to be unchecked)! Otherwise you might end up in a farmers field!

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Garmin instructions are terrible. You could get online and read them and they still may not answer your question. (Says 20 years a Garmin owner of more than a few.) Most of the others are no better.

Try going into the setup and make sure that the things that are checked are what you want. Two that come to mind (I don't have a 67) are "Avoid Highways" and/or "Toll Roads" and then there is the faster time/shortest route choice to mess things up.

Good luck

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Just drive across the river:
Well - at least yours is the more direct route! ๐Ÿ™‚

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
The most common cause of this is selecting "shortest"(distance) rather than fastest time.

You also need to check what "avoids" you have set.

BUT......sometimes it's logic is fractured and there is NO apparent reason for an odd route.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just drive across the river:
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman