cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Strange Pop-Up all the time

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
All of a sudden, I am receiving a pop-up telling me I must download and install a New Internet Explorer Video Player. This even happens when I click on posts on this forum. I am not using Internet Explorer. When I try to get out of the pop up, no matter what I select, it downloads a setup.exe file which I immediately delete. Even when I opened the Norton Security site to inquire about the popup, it came on again.. Has anyone seen this??
10 REPLIES 10

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like MrWizard has the correct solution above. Click on the link he provided and you will find much more detailed info.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

ReadyToGo
Explorer
Explorer
It's called Malware. A lot of virus checkers can't correct it. Use something like malwarebytes or spybot.

System Restore was never meant to provide a complete snapshot of a user's computer. It monitors key system files, registry changes, and may be effective with removing some additional installed apps. If malware writes to the registry, than System Restore may be able to reverse the settings. But keep in mind, some malware is designed to re-install itself. You really need to deal with the core issues, not just assume removing registry settings cures the problem.

Using System Restore in combination with another specialized malware removal app like Malwarebytes first can be very effective, but some caveats apply. Make sure to restore back to a date before the malware, and once working normally, delete the remaining restore points as a safety precaution. Last thing you want to do is to revert back the malware you were trying to remove.

JC2
Explorer
Explorer
HappyKayakers wrote:
If the full scan doesn't work, this looks like one of those situations where a system restore might help you out.

But they should still do an update on their anti-virus software afterwards. Very simple to do on a regular basis but so often ignored.
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304,Cummins ISL 425hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed,Ready Brute Elite TowBar/Brake,FMCA #402879,SKP#120487

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
If the full scan doesn't work, this looks like one of those situations where a system restore might help you out.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

MrWizard
i found this info
June 17, 2013 By admin

The updatevideos.com popups appearing on a computer indicate a harmful adware infection which silently integrates with Firefox, Chrome, IE and Safari type browsers. This updatevideos.com malware usually comes as a free Update Videos Player software which can lately be installed as a browser toolbar. After getting inside a computer, it starts displaying pop-up advertisements and unwanted content (SPAM) to the user on infected PC. Actually the updatevideos.com and its corrupt application, both are designed by cyber crooks to gain financial advantages for themselves while these things are of no use for you. To protect your private information and to keep your system safe and fast, we recommend immediate removal of updatevideos.com virus.

here http://www.safebro.com/tag/updatevideos-com-malware-fix

Want to get rid of Browser Hijack updatevideos.com?:
To manually remove updatevideos.com, follow the instructions.

First of all, Uninstall the program. (Skip to the next step if the application is not listed in Control Panel).
“Start > Settings > Control Panel. Now Locate and open “Add or Remove Programs” or “PROGRAMS AND FEATURES”. Find “updatevideos.com”. Now click Uninstall/Remove.

Now remove the program from Browser.

Internet Explorer users:
Click “Tools” (if on Internet Explorer 9, click gear icon), Then “Manage Add-ons”. Look for updatevideos.com. Disable if found any.

Block updatevideos.com pop-ups
To stop pop-ups from malware,
Click on TOOLS > POP-UP BLOCKER, then click TURN ON POP-UP BLOCKER. and then go to POP-UP BLOCKER SETTINGS. (Type any website you wish to block popups from)
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Sounds like some kind of browser hijack, likely the result of an errant addon extension. What browser are you using? Check your addons for any unusual extension you don't recognize, and either disable or delete them. Also, look in Uninstall Programs, and look for any similar programs which may have been installed.

Unfortunately, AV apps or even System Restore won't recognize or fix many browser type hijacks.

MrWizard
since you use norton
open the norton window and update your virus data
unplug your internet and run a total full virus scan
go get some lunch , check on the PC after lunch
full scan takes awhile
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

rhingst
Explorer
Explorer
All the more reason to switch to Firefox and use Ad Block Plus which is a free addon.
2008 Ford F350 Lariat Crew Cab Powerstroke SRW
2007 Hitchhiker Discover America 339RSB

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
You have become infected. Get your anti-virus software up to date and run a whole computer scan.