cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Google is Hogging my Data Allotment

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer
I got a new Verizon hotspot and was trying it out last night, so I was watching internet data closely. We used 3 GB of data out of our 5 GB monthly allowance, during a period of 6 hours. We used the browser perhaps a total of two hours, that's all; no movies, videos, photo downloading, etc.

The Verizon tech found that virtually all the useage was to 3 Google IP's, 2607:f8b0:4000:19:: c, 2607:f8b0:4012:802::100b, 2607:f8b0:4012:802::100a. He gave me a number to call Google IP Administrator, but of course you might as well try to reach the president---no luck, just the recorded idiot messages.

Can anyone tell me what Google is doing to me? We are old folks, no facebook, no twitter, no movies, no videos; just a little surfing and a couple of emails per day.
34 REPLIES 34

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Change your Verizon WiFi Hotspot password here:

Verizon IP Address

You must be logged onto your hotspot at the time that you click the above URL This will allow you to see connected devices, hotspot settings, data usage, etc - and allow you to change the password.
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
gkas wrote:
No matter what... get rid of Norton. Very bad stuff.

The newer versions of Norton are much better.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

nancyjerry
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP, welcome to the club!
We use IPads and this month we are up to 12 gigs from our usual of 8! Yup, we use Verizon too.
Been thru the list of usual suspects and can't figure it out and neither can Verizon!
Nancy

gkas
Explorer
Explorer
No matter what... get rid of Norton. Very bad stuff.
My photos: http://mikekazphotography.com/Gerry/GalleryIndex/index.html

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
5thwheeleroldman wrote:
... I'm seriously thinking of changing the browser from Chrome to Firefox, ....

MrWizard wrote:
Chrome might be your data problem
it IS Google

Chrome spends a lot of time telling Google everything it knows about you as you surf sites.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
I had 4GB disappear overnight with Verizon back in early Oct. I called them and after being on hold off and on for 30 minutes they apologized and said they were changing software and a bunch of accounts got reset. By the time I was off the phone it had been restored.

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been running FF and using Gmail for several years nd no issues.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Google Drive sync? Ya know, pictues, etc.?

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
One other ting to check - do you have Chrome on your phone? I turned off the Sync with my desktop setting on Chrome on my phone because ti was keeping my phone in sync with every tab on my desktop. Although I do think 3 GIG in a few hours is hard to blame on just Google.

My laptop wireless has been connected for 8 days and I have only used 10 meg and I work 8 hours a day (although no big work upload and downloads this week). My Phone which is an HTC running Android and pretty much everything Google ever wrote (much to my chagrin and with a lot disabled) barely scratches my 10 gig/month unless I am traveling and using it as a hotspot.

So 3 gig seems more like malware or a bug in some software. Do you have an indicator when communicating over the cell network? Is it constantly lit?

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Look at settings -> privacy (in Chrome) and uncheck most of those-

• Use a web service to help resolve navigation errors
  • Use a prediction service to help complete searches and URLs typed in the address bar
  • Predict network actions to improve page load performance
  • Enable phishing and malware protection
  • Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors
  • Automatically send usage statistics and crash reports to Google

FWIW, Firefox has the same settings, and can use the same amount of data. The predict network actions is one that will really chew up the bandwidth, by loading pages that are just linked from the page you are visiting.
Also look down (under settings) and uncheck "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed"
-- Chris Bryant

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, google may be my problem. The verizon tech said the three IPs were google sites. The tech seemed pretty sharp. I know hackers can pretend to be someone else, but I bet google is pretty tough on hackers. Google wont talk to me. I tried one of those IP trackers and it said the IPs were located in Columbus, OH; but no details as to who/what. Maybe Firefox; I just dread trying to get all my favorites and bookmarks transferred over.

MrWizard
5thwheeleroldman wrote:
I did change the password on the hotspot, but it is confusing. It changed the administrative password that I log into my Verizon account on the computer, but did not change the password on the hotspot itself. Don't see any way to do that.

I downloaded the free malware bytes and ran it. It turned up 88 problems even after my scan with Norton. Don't know if that will help.

I'm seriously thinking of changing the browser from Chrome to Firefox, but realistically I know most everything I do will still involve Google. They have a hand in everything.

use firefox

Chrome might be your data problem
it IS Google
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have automatic updates on. 3 gig sounds like a lot though. The only auto update I have running is my antivirus. Windows asks me if I want to install and I then do but only critical updates.
DW hadn't used her laptop since Aug and turned it on yesterday to do some Christmas shopping. She had a 111 windows updates waiting for her plus antivirus and other program updates. It took about 3 hours to update everything and install but that was only a half gig.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use firefox, but have google as our homepage. We use g-mail.