cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Headphones for an I-phone

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I carpool with people that talk 'shop' endlessly and sometimes play head-bashing noise on the radio and I want to find head phones that will drown all that stuff out. I've been reading and I can't find a good explanation of sound cancelling and sound isolation in regards to those kinds of background noise. They get more into engine noise cancellation and not blocking out general background noise. I don't know if there is a difference iaw the design of the phones. It seems like on-the-ear or over-the-ear phones would be the best but now there are some impressive looking in-the-ear options. In-the-ear would be nice for traveling but I would go for the bigger phones if they do a vastly better job. Can someone tell me if I need to look for high sound cancellation or isolation quality or what? Specific product recommendations would also be great! TIA! Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!
21 REPLIES 21

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
C Schomer wrote:
I still don't know if noise cancellation is only good for constant noise, like from engines or if it helps with all background noise. ..So is noise cancellation necessary or is plain-jane phones with good noise isolation quality effective
It is good for constant noise. A nice surprise is that I can hear my XM radio with them on ( a bit muffled), but background noises, like my ceiling fan, are dead silent. Whether they will cancel out your friends talking or their music is not clear to me. They will certainly lower the volume.

Is NC necessary? That's your decision. They are not 'overpriced' for what they do.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I fly every week for work and have a set of Denon noise canceling headphones. IMO, they are invaluable. And to answer your question, they do a very good job of cutting the noise of general conversation in addition to the contant noise you refer to.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Yeh, I've been reading reviews. It looks like the noise cancelling phones have batteries for whatever it is that makes them work. I still don't know if noise cancellation is only good for constant noise, like from engines or if it helps with all background noise. So is noise cancellation necessary or is plain-jane phones with good noise isolation quality effective enough for background voices and music? I also hoped to get opinions on in-the-ear phones. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

allenhpycmprs
Explorer
Explorer
Beats Headphones

The Beats Headphones are the best on the market today, but you will pay for them also.
2011 Ram Hemi 4x4
2012 Denali 261BH

Cheyenps
Explorer
Explorer
Home Depot (of all places) has some headphones made for noise isolation designed for factory workers and construction guys. They include both a jack and a cable to connect them to a iPhone.

Remarkably effective for less than $20. They sound pretty good too.
Steve

2008 Thor California Summit 26RLS
2003 Ford F-350 SRW Crew Cab Utility

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just shop Amazon for noise cancelling over ear. There are lots of good ones around 50 and up. Be sure to read the reviews.
Bose and Head Candy are overpriced IMHO.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bose QuietComfort 15.

Yeah, you'll pay for them, but they're comfortable, sound great and do an amazing job of cancelling noise. I use them to get to sleep when I find myself near trucks or train tracks.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman