cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many GB's?

bassin39
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. We were down in Florida researching RV resorts to full time in. We finally found one and the wifi seemed great. We picked a site by the office so we can even connect to the office wifi. But we were told that during the winter when all the snowbirds are back the wifi slows down considerably. My question is (finally) I do a lot of work out of the "home". Ebay and Amazon. If I were to get a Verizon mifi how many GB's do you think I need to do this maybe 3 or 4 full days a week? I don't know how to judge how many GB's I need. And also stream a few Netflix movies and youtube from Apple TV. Hope this is clear enough. Thanks.
24 REPLIES 24

bassin39
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks naturist. Your probably right. But either way, it had the best wifi of all the parks we saw. And between their wifi and verizon I should be okay.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
bassin39 wrote:
We didn't need to be by the office. The whole park got good wifi. We looked at a lot of parks and couldn't get good wifi in any but this one. I figured if we could connect to the office wifi while the rest of the park had to connect to the "guest" wifi, we'd be better off. The office wifi doesn't extend that far. Its a different router.

My guess -- and it is only a guess -- is that both the guest and office routers connect to the internet through the same feed. In which case, both would speed up or slow down based on the same choke point. You can certainly ask the owner/manager, but I'll bet they do not have two internet subscriptions, only one.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Verizon phone/data plans are changing as of Thursday, the 13th. don't know if this change affects MiFi plans or not. FYI.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

bassin39
Explorer
Explorer
We didn't need to be by the office. The whole park got good wifi. We looked at a lot of parks and couldn't get good wifi in any but this one. I figured if we could connect to the office wifi while the rest of the park had to connect to the "guest" wifi, we'd be better off. The office wifi doesn't extend that far. Its a different router.

KCerling
Explorer
Explorer
If you need to be by the office to get a good connection you already have a poor wi-fi system. This is one of my gripes with the Good Sam Campground book. It says the campground has Wi-Fi but many of them can only work if you are by the office.
2002 Phaeton
2007 Jeep
Retired and loving it

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
bassin39 wrote:
So 30 or 40 Gb should easily handle my work plus video streaming plus another occasional laptop or two?
Easily.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

bassin39
Explorer
Explorer
Right now we are in a house using cable wifi. So 30 or 40 Gb should easily handle my work plus video streaming plus another occasional laptop or two? My 20 year old daughter may be moving in with us for awhile. So she will be doing her school work from there also.

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 10 GB Verizon plan with an additional Bonus 10 GB for almost a year. We have yet to go over the first 10, but we do very little video streaming.

Most alpha-numeric based content (Email, text, etc.) uses VERY little data. Facebook, etc, uses more as all of the pictures and videos must reload every time the site is accessed.

As a rule of thumb, an hour of video streaming consumes 1 GB of data.

Tim

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
20 gig
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
If you are doing the same work now, monitor your usage now so you have some idea. What are using now? I know when I connect I can right click on my connection and select monitor estimated usage.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited