cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How To Block Pop Ups For Facebook and Twitter

az99
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a way to block these annoying and distracting big blocks that pop up in all types of pages recently that try to direct you to all the social media junk? Now even CNBC tries to block a 1/4 of your page with it.

Example
16 REPLIES 16

az99
Explorer
Explorer
Thanx for all the help. I knew that the brain trust on here would have the answers.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
1492 wrote:
The only social media block that slide in when scrolling the referenced page for me was this.

These are generally done through Javascript, many using JQuery library. They can be defeated by disabling Javascript through the use of browser extensions, or manually.

One of my long time favorite Firefox extensions which adds toggle switches to enable/disable Javascript, Flash, Images, etc from a webpage is QuickJava. This can also be used to limit bandwidth usage on limited mobile data plans by disabling the biggest culprits on a webpage.

X2

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
My favorite facebook clean-up tool: Fluff Busting Purity a.k.a. Facebook Purity www.fbpurity.com/

Been using it for well over a year. Love being able to block posts with specific words. Turn off all ads, games, etc. You can choose how it sorts the posts. And much, much more.

From their website:

F.B. Purity - Clean Up and Customize Facebook
F.B. Purity is a browser extension / add-on that lets you clean up and customise Facebook. It filters out the junk you don't want to see, leaving behind the stories and page elements you do wish to see. The list of story types that FBP hides is customizable to your taste.

Their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/fluffbustingpurity
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Explorer
Explorer
Ad Block plus AND set flash in the browser settings to ask before opening. No ads, no pop ups, no flash when you don't want it.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Cool. Thanks.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

The only social media block that slide in when scrolling the referenced page for me was this.

These are generally done through Javascript, many using JQuery library. They can be defeated by disabling Javascript through the use of browser extensions, or manually.

One of my long time favorite Firefox extensions which adds toggle switches to enable/disable Javascript, Flash, Images, etc from a webpage is QuickJava. This can also be used to limit bandwidth usage on limited mobile data plans by disabling the biggest culprits on a webpage.

az99
Explorer
Explorer
I assumed it was a pop up or ad because it does not appear until all the text of the article is there. Then it goes to cdn.api.twitter.com and the block appears and covers the text.
I have noticed this type of block appearing too often in computer how to's searched with google.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
bwanshoom wrote:
Is it Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, LinkedIn email & share? If so, that's not an ad, it's an element in the page. It may be that the page is not rendering correctly. I just tried it on FF 41 with ABP disabled, but it displays correctly. Same with Chrome 45.

Yes, that block with the social media icons is an element, not an ad. It displays fairly small in Safari and a bit larger in FireFox.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Use a web filtering tool such as Bluecoat K9 or OpenDNS. They can both block web ads based on databases of known ad sites. They can also block know malware and phishing sites.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
Is it Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, LinkedIn email & share? If so, that's not an ad, it's an element in the page. It may be that the page is not rendering correctly. I just tried it on FF 41 with ABP disabled, but it displays correctly. Same with Chrome 45.
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LMM CC/SB 4x4 LTZ
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
az99 wrote:
I am running Ad Block Plus on FF.
It was updated 9/28
See the other recent thread on this. It's possible ABP is allowing those ads through. It doesn't block all ads; some Acceptable Ads (read: paid ads) are allowed.
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LMM CC/SB 4x4 LTZ
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K

az99
Explorer
Explorer
I can't believe no one else can see it. I just went to a new Win10 laptop with a new install of FF and Ad Block. It shows up there also.
The block that that that is covering the text and has 6 icons to click. Tweets,F, email etc.

az99
Explorer
Explorer
I am running Ad Block Plus on FF.
It was updated 9/28

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
AdBlock plus - no popup on your example, however, I have seen a a few sites that ABP doesn't block.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox