cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to make a DVD

kartsahd
Explorer
Explorer
I am at the end of my rope! I want to make a DVD of home movies and pictures so grandma can play them on her TV DVD player. I have done it before but just can not get it done this time. I am running windows 7 and I have several programs for burning DVDs but none of them are working. Some programs were on the computer some that came with devices like recorders, cameras ect. I have changed the speed down to 4x and everything else I can think of :M but nothing works. I have done many internet searches and they say to do things that do not work like using tool options that are not there or asking me to download YET another program. I could rant about the how many Blankety %&^#&^ Blanken formats there are but what I need is a SIMPLE Non technical explanation on how to turn my videos and pictures in my computer to simple DVDs that can play on a regular DVD player. The ones I burn all play on the computer that I burned them on but what the Heck is the point of burning a DVD that only plays on the machine you burnt it on when I could just go to documents/videos and watch it anyway!!!:h Remember VHS they would play on ANY machine any where AND if the tape broke you could just splice it and be done!:R
15 REPLIES 15

deltamaster
Explorer
Explorer
That is cool! I have not used Windows 8 to make movies yet and I have never used Windows 7 at all.

In (all versions of) XP there is Intervideo WinDVD creator included with all the machines I own and I have used that. It s quite basic and a bit clunky but it works.

I have also tried several different stand-alone aftermarket DVD compilation/authoring programs and the one I like the best is Pinnacle Studio. It has a short learning curve and is relatively easy to use. Menus and scenes can be create easily and audio can be dubbed over the existing audio on a separate track.

I have created SEVERAL movies and DVDs with this program and I like it very much. Matter of fact, sometimes I use WinDVD creator AND Pinnacle because some little functions are better in one than the other and sometimes video that I recorded through the on-board tuner card (sort of like Tivo) works better with WinDVD.

On the other hand creating files from my Sony Digital-8 Video Camera works best in Pinnacle. The software recognizes the camera and all the playback functions can be controlled through the software when it is connected with the firewire cable.
:E [purple]I ride it like I stole it![/purple] :B

.......and I just may have.......

I'm on "CB-13", are you?

2004 Fun Mover with a 1998 Road King and a 2002 Sportster tucked in the garage, Dragging a 2002 "RAM Tough" Dodge Dakota Crew Cab. Ohhh what a haul!

TSgt(Ret.) USAF

kartsahd
Explorer
Explorer
I figured it out! I DID NOT do what the computer screen told me to do but ignored it and burnt it in a Kodak movie making program I had instead of Windows Media Center which would NOT work even when did exactly like they said. Windows 7 also gives me grief with Adobe Reader. :M Any way I am so happy! Thanks for all the input you guys are great. ๐Ÿ™‚

That's actually more of an issue with CDs, where the metallic layer is located just under the label side of the disc. DVD metallic layer is sandwiched in between plastic layers, so scratching the label side of a DVD has little or no effect. However, deep scratches on the laser side of a CD/DVD disc, which can alter the laser's focus, could effect playback if the player's error correction is unable to compensate.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
deltamaster wrote:

I found that out the hard way Fortunately DVDs are impervious to water and a little soaking in water/dish detergent and some gently rubbing with the fingers (not on the wrong side!) removed the label/glue and they play fine after that.

The side the label was stuck on is "the wrong side"
Data is etched into the foil you see on top. Scratch that and it's ruined. Scratch the clear side and you can polish it out.

deltamaster
Explorer
Explorer
the bear II wrote:
If you are using a stick on label (like the Avery or Stomper DVD Labels) on the DVD it will cause the DVD not to play in some DVD players.

I found that out the hard way Fortunately DVDs are impervious to water and a little soaking in water/dish detergent and some gently rubbing with the fingers (not on the wrong side!) removed the label/glue and they play fine after that.
:E [purple]I ride it like I stole it![/purple] :B

.......and I just may have.......

I'm on "CB-13", are you?

2004 Fun Mover with a 1998 Road King and a 2002 Sportster tucked in the garage, Dragging a 2002 "RAM Tough" Dodge Dakota Crew Cab. Ohhh what a haul!

TSgt(Ret.) USAF

As mentioned, for compatibility, you should make a DVD Video disc. This is a specification, along the lines of a PDF for documents, that allows set top DVD/BluRay players to play the disc. Most current set top DVD/BluRay will also play common photo, video, and music files, but not all formats are supported by all players. It's better to use a standard such as DVD Video.

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
Op, What programs are you using, that would give more information for someone to help you out...You may be using the wrong ones
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

MrWizard
The ones I burn all play on the computer that I burned them on but what the Heck is the point of burning a DVD that only plays on the machine you burnt it on when I could just go to documents/videos and watch it anyway!!!

upon re-reading this statement
it seems you are just burning files to the dvd disc
to make a working playable Proper DVD , you must use Software to 'Author'
the DVD, that is create dvd files
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
If you are using a stick on label (like the Avery or Stomper DVD Labels) on the DVD it will cause the DVD not to play in some DVD players.

As others have said you do need to finalize the DVD so it will play in other players. Some programs call it finalize, burn, format, finish or some other name for the last step.

Some older DVD players will not play home made DVDs.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
The problem could be with an older DVD player.
Many won't play DVD+R
You need to use DVD-R

Make sure you have 'terminated' the session.
Unlike your computer DVD players can't read an open non terminated disk.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Make sure you're using a DVD and not a CD-Rom.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

MrWizard
burning the disc ... is the final stage

the video and or picture data must be converted from 'camera' format file

to DVD ready, then it is burned

the link above is one way, using included 'free' windows programs

IF your video is hi-def Digital
it must be 'down sized' aka 're-encoded' during the 'processing' stage to 720*480, this will be done automatically by the program, it does take time

the formats available that can be transferred to DVD and play on std players
are 1/2 dvd 360*480 and full DVD 720*480

SVCD and VCD use lower resolution and a different file format and must be burned to CD disc not DVD disc

IF/when given the a choice choose DVD aka 720*480
std DVD format as the final output format
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Clicky

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
This can be very frustrating. If you have the video in a digital format already, you must use a conversion program to convert the video to one compatible with dvd. This will take some time unless you have a very powerful computer. Then you can load the video onto the disc.