cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

internet connection

Roadking5002
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to be a full timer for the first time. I'm also a gamer (PS4) and I play online. What connection do I need to be able to do this??
7 REPLIES 7

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
You are gonna pay a lot.

AdamBryner2012
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I do the same thing and travel full time.
How long will you be at each spot?

If we are at least 1 month, we find campground with either cable or phone line hookups. Call the local cable or DSL company.

Otherwise, AT&T has a rock solid LTE data network. Get the latest MIFI with 30TB of bandwidth for about $200/month.

Before you park your rig, boot up MIFI and make sure you get a strong signal and the LTE network. Then connect via your smartphone and ping google.com. You want to look out for packet loss and obviously high pings. You can check coverage maps if you are concerned about coverage on a spot your visiting.

Any questions, feel free to PM me.
Good luck!

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends on the data needs of the game. Some move aminimal amount of data, some move the whole world. I could play Air Warrior on a 2400 baud dialup because all we traded were positions and motion vectors, and some chat. I've been in others where scenery demands too much of a 10MB cable connection.

Some need low latency, other extreme is turn based, I used to play some strategy games by mail, but in a MMP shooter bouncing a signal off a satellite will take you out of the game quickly.

Fastest, most dependable for on the road will be a 4G LTE connection if you can find a provider that has that coverage wherever you are, and is not locally saturated. I don't find that much in the wide open spaces.

Quite often you will find "free" WiFi in RV parks and some public places, but that is often massive sharing of a connection with modest bandwidth (sometimes even dialup) and it getsclobbered by someone streaming video or using VOIP to save some of their mobile phone minutes.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
ChooChooMan74 wrote:
You will experience super lag time with most parks and cellular. It will take you 3 days to respawn.

With my Verizon Jetpack MiFi puck and a decent 4G signal the connection is extremely fast with very low latency. So from a performance perspective a MiFi device could work very well. It's the data usage that would kill you here.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

ed6713
Explorer
Explorer
That's going to be a very expensive travel hobby unless you're on free high speed Wi-Fi.
Internet data plans are very costly per gig.

Curious, how many gigs per hour would you typically use for such gaming?
๐Ÿ™‚

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
You will experience super lag time with most parks and cellular. It will take you 3 days to respawn.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
You'll need a fast connection for gaming. Unfortunately, I have found most RV parks WiFi extremely slow to non-existent at times. Plus the metal framework of your RV blocks RF signals. My advice is to bring your own internet connection with you, like a Hotspot.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE