cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A/B Switch for Sat/Cable

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
Do they make a AB switch we could use to go from DirecTV to RV Park Cable without having to swap out cables?
15 REPLIES 15

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
1775 wrote:
Get yourself a push button A/B switch - it is better than the slide switch. It will work just fine for what you want to do. single output to the TV - cable coax on one side of input and sat coax on the other. No more switching connection - just push the button you want. See if Radio Shack has the push button switch - or get it on Amazon.
ditto... The slide switch types can often cause all kinds of trouble since it's a basic $.15 hobby grade slider. The push button ones work well even at L band
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Explorer
Explorer
Get yourself a push button A/B switch - it is better than the slide switch. It will work just fine for what you want to do. single output to the TV - cable coax on one side of input and sat coax on the other. No more switching connection - just push the button you want. See if Radio Shack has the push button switch - or get it on Amazon.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some are good. Some are not. I just prefer the unit I listed as I have seen many sliders get flaky.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
K Charles, he is referring to the input to the TV and the input to the satellite receiver and not the connection between the receiver and the TV.
To the OP, yes, an A/B switch works quite well but as mentioned above you want to get a good quality unit and not a slide type as pictured above. I prefer the Radio Shack High Isolation unit for about $18.

Bill, I have used sliders for quite a while with good results. Will it give up up eventually?

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
maybe I miss the question but the a wire goes from the dish to the receiver then a wire goes from the receive to the TV. Another wire goes from the cable to the TV. When you want cable you select cable and if you want satellite you just change the input on the TV. Why do you need the switch and where does it go?

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
This is what you need: C2G / Cables to Go 41015 High Isolation AB Switch

About $12.00 on Amazon

I have one in my coach to switch between satellite antennas.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
K Charles, he is referring to the input to the TV and the input to the satellite receiver and not the connection between the receiver and the TV.
To the OP, yes, an A/B switch works quite well but as mentioned above you want to get a good quality unit and not a slide type as pictured above. I prefer the Radio Shack High Isolation unit for about $18.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I have them both plugged in and just change the input on the TV using the remote.

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
New Directv Genie works with splitters. But for what your doing you need a slider switch as pictured above.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
An AB switch will work. Be sure to get a good grade. Also, the success depends on current wiring. Sat. really needs RG6 to reduce loss.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
WyoTraveler wrote:
Splitters don't work on Sat in.
A switch should be fine.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Splitters don't work on Sat in. Haven't tried an AB switch. I found it much easier to run my sat directly to the sat receiver. ( I have an older sat receiver box) The output can then be run through a splitter. i.e. ant in and sat receiver in. Output to TVs. When the sat receiver box is off cable goes directly through it. Works for me. I had to do some wiring mods.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
no, Not in the cable from the sat receiver to the dish. Yes, in the cable from the receiver and the cabletv coax.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sure there is - Check with Radio Shack or WALMART or do a search on GOOGLE/AMAZON for F-CONNECTOR A-B switch or TV A-B Switch maybe...

This one available from AMAZON

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS