cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Internet Speed

trb46
Explorer
Explorer
I have 60 Mbs Internet service from Spectrum when I connect the cable modem directly to my desktop computer. When I connect the cable modem to my Belkin wi-fi router, all my wireless devices drop to about 18 Mbs. Is my router slowing things down, and if so, would a newer router help. My existing router is about three years old. Thanks.
2011 Four Winds 23A
Only 48 more states to visit!
20 REPLIES 20

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Find a tech support for Belkin and call them......before you shell out $$$ on a wild guess.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Only 18mbps per device? I feel your pain.

Total bandwidth at my S&B is 5.

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer II
Explorer II
FWIW, I have a TP-Link AC1900 router for about 10 months now and have been very happy with it. It has dual bands, 2.4 and 5 GHz. I have one older device that only works on the 2.4 GHz band. My internet speed is supposed to be 75 Mbps, but it was 89 Mbps when I just checked it on my iPad. My hardwired iMac tested out at 70 Mbps. Amazon currently has it for $99.97 with a $10 off coupon.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I work for a small internet provider, and wireless speed is the biggest complaint. There are lots of variables. A new A-C router should help, if you devices you connect can support it.

The speed also depends on the distance from the router and what is between you and the router. Every wall the signal has to go through slows things down. Especially is you have old plaster walls.

Also other wireless signals can affect it. If you live in the middle of 5 acres, probably not an issue. If like me you live on a quarter acre lot with houses all around you, and you see 10-15 neighbors wifi networks, you can get interference from them. You can play with different channel selection within the router and may get better results. Also some of the routers will do this automatically to get the best signal.

Good luck!
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
Not knowing which model Belkin you have makes it hard to say but if it is three years old it is probably not the newest 802.11ac standard. You may need to upgrade your wireless devices to the new standard to get the best performance. Older wireless devices on older standards will drag a network down quickly.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
This could be way off - but if you had any older 802.11b clients, they used to have a problem where they could drag the whole network down. 18Mbps is still faster than 'b', but that's the only thing going thru my mind.

How many wireless devices in your house?
Is it a decent Belkin router or was it a cheapie?

It certainly seems to me that the router has to be the culprit...