cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keeping Notepad on op of Other Windows

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Whenever I have notepad on the screen it immediately minimizes if I try to do anything on the screen, such as clicking on another window. That's been an annoyance for as long as I can remember, no matter which PC I've owned in the past.

My current Toshiba is Running W 10 Home. My previous one ran XP, and the situation was the same. Is there any tweak I can use to enable notepad to stay locked on the screen? Thanks.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
8 REPLIES 8

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I've noticed Wordpad does the same thing. But I use Notepad more often, so that isn't much of a concern.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
lc0338 wrote:
When you say notepad minimizes... I'm assuming that it just gets hidden by the new window you open. At top right corner of new window there might be a "-" "square" "X" ( I use google chrome). If you click on the square box it should make the new window smaller in size. You can make it smaller by catching the edges with our mouse and move it around by clicking at the top with your mouse. When you make the 2nd window smaller does the notepad window show up?

It actually minimizes back to the taskbar. Anyhow, see my new post about Notepad++. It stays on the screen just as I want it to.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Tom_M wrote:
You might want to try Notepad++. It has an 'Always on Top' feature.

Available free here:
https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Thanks for suggesting Notepad++. I installed it today and think it's a wonderful program. does a lot more than the regular notepad. I think I'll have fun playing with it. And, yes it does stay on the screen when I click elsewhere.

trb46
Explorer
Explorer
lc0338 wrote:
Click on the middle option between minimize and maximize. you can have 2 screens at same time if you modify the size (between minimize and maximize). Other option is have 2 computer screens... that's what real IT geeks do.

X2
2011 Four Winds 23A
Only 48 more states to visit!

Tom_M wrote:

Available free here:

Great app. Use it for development work. Also has multiple tabs which is very handy.

lc0338
Explorer
Explorer
When you say notepad minimizes... I'm assuming that it just gets hidden by the new window you open. At top right corner of new window there might be a "-" "square" "X" ( I use google chrome). If you click on the square box it should make the new window smaller in size. You can make it smaller by catching the edges with our mouse and move it around by clicking at the top with your mouse. When you make the 2nd window smaller does the notepad window show up?

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer

Available free here:
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

lc0338
Explorer
Explorer
Click on the middle option between minimize and maximize. you can have 2 screens at same time if you modify the size (between minimize and maximize). Other option is have 2 computer screens... that's what real IT geeks do.