cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for an e-Reader with games

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am endeavoring to find an e-Reader (Nook or Kindle) with a games option such as Spider Solitaire, etc.

Experiences or advice please.

Hubby has a Nook, and I have been thinking of getting an e-Reader for about a year .. we volunteer a lot and I use reading or playing games on my laptop as a form of relaxation (when weather not good for hiking).
Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma Marji, and Grandpa
2008 Suburban / 2004 Alpenlite TT(FT)
10 REPLIES 10

BAD
Explorer
Explorer
I own a couple of Nooks, Color and Touch. Last fall I bought a 10" Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.2 at Costco. Costco lets you return the tablet if it doesn't work out for you. It is an Android so you have access to tons of Google Play and Samsung apps.

I use MobilityWare solitaire which I enjoy. When I buy eBooks from Kindle I read them on the Kindle app. Same for Nook. I also can read eBooks I take out of the library on the tablet. And DRM free epubs on the tablet, too. Samsung has an additional storage slot so I keep reference books on that, like cookbooks, travel guides, etc. I also have plenty of storage with the Dropbox cloud storage.

I have an Android smartphone so my those apps also work on my tablet. I can read them better on the tablet. I hardly read on my Nooks anymore. But if sun is very bright I read on my Nook Touch.
I read newspapers and magazines on the tablet. Keep favorite recipes on the tablet and use it in the kitchen, home or while traveling!

It is more useful than I anticipated.
Barbara
2005 Chevy Roadtrek 210Popular
Los Gatos, CA

1oldtruck
Explorer
Explorer
Kindle Fire is the best I've seen without spending big money on an IPad. I have both and the kindle is impressive.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
The Nook just got a software update today that allows general Google Android apps to be used on it.

However, I would look at a Nexus tablet instead -- best bang for the buck.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think what you want is a tablet that can be used as an e-reader, rather than an e-reader with games.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
What I got for my wife was an Android Tablet (About 100 bucks with product protection plan at Wal-Mart.com,, yes a low end tablet).

She was a computer phobe, loved it, thousands of apps, most of them games INCLUDING spider solitare Mahjong, Shanghai (Mahjong take off) and more.

Many useful apps like RV-Assistant, RV Parky, RV Park finder, many store apps including My Pilot and Blue Beacon (Clean and fueled rigs run better) Maps, and so many more t hings I can't list 'em all (Though the small tablet did not have GPS)

I can plug in a standard 101Key "Windows" type keyboard for messaging (Same as my Android phone by the way)

And oh yes... Kindle for Android.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

docj
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
A true ereader using e-ink is not a tablet.
It can go weeks between charges.
Once the text is loaded for reading it sleeps till you flick the next page.
Not good for games so it has none.

X2! An e-ink ereader is also the only device that can be used in bright sunlight. In fact, the brighter the light, the easier it is to read. If you are serious about reading IMHO you will want the e-ink version. We have both eReaders and tablets/iPads. There is a role for both.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
A true ereader using e-ink is not a tablet.
It can go weeks between charges.
Once the text is loaded for reading it sleeps till you flick the next page.
Not good for games so it has none.

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning

I have a Nook color that I added the chip from N2A to convert it to an Android tablet. This removes all the restrictions that B&N put on the Nook so You can load as many games or apps as it can hold from about anywhere. It includes both Nook and Kindle software so you still have ereader capability.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

aslakson
Explorer
Explorer
Wife & I both have Google Nexus tablets - she the 7", I the 10". Both will run all kinds of games (all of what we have are free from Google Play), as well as both the Amazon and B&N apps. DW uses hers mostly for e-books from our hometown public library, I use mine for e-books as well as games and occasional web surfing. Both of ours are wifi access only. Getting tablets with direct wireless cell access would change your options.

We opted not to go with Kindles or Nooks to be able to load what we wanted from where we wanted, and we'd heard stories of both Amazon and B&N limiting your downloads to what you could buy (as in pay for) from their stores. Plus at the time (late last year) the Google tabs had the best graphics going, and our tired old eyes appreciate things like that.

al
Fulltiming since Apr 2007 in 2000 Rexhall Aerbus, towing 2012 Honda CRV. 47 of the lower 48 so far.

bcsdguy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Kindle fire and have put games on it, like spider solitaire and other card games. You just need to go to the apps store to find the games you want to play.
No person is completely worthless ... one can always serve as a bad example.