cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Making Android phone hotspot, need help

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
Have 8.1 on PC and an Android phone LG version 5.0 can not figure out how to use phone as a hotspot.

Used to have Pdanet and used with an older phone.

Willing to try as USB hookup or Bluetooth. Do not know if Pda,Foxfi or another program/app is needed. Do not want to buy a MiFi as we do not need the hotspot very often.
24 REPLIES 24

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I use an android phone as a hotspot, too. The one irritation is that when I turn my computer off, the phone will, after a few minutes, shut down the hotspot. Other than that, I have no issues.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MrWizard
i have PDAnet/foxfi
i originally got each when they were separate programs
later downloaded the current combines version
i'm using it on a Samsung Galaxy NExus android 4.? on verizon

i also recommend you Download the newest version to your phone,
No new extra charge if you have the paid previous version ..updates are free

i use foxfi hotspot a lot because i usually have my phone in the Sleek cradle

but when i have a good signal i will use the usb tether, because the data speeds are faster
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
I use Easy Tether. In fact, I'm using it right now. It can also be found in the Amazon Store and Google Play. The lite version is free - you can use that to test it out.

You install SW on both your phone and computer. Once you have it up and running, you can just leave it on on your phone and reconnect with your computer. There is an issue with Samsung phones (I have one) where you need to download a special driver - you can find it on their website.

I've used Easy Tether for over two years with hardly any problems and usually the DL/UL speeds are better than wifi.

Edit to add: it uses USB or bluetooth to connect the computer to the phone.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
I have an LG G2 running Android 5.0.2 on Verizon with an unlimited data plan so Verizon won't allow the built-in Hotspot to work. I use PDANet which allows me to fire up a Hotspot that works great with all of my Win 7 and Win 8.1 computers. I don't have issues starting the Hotspot like GordonThree reported above.

If you can't get the built-in Hotspot to work, I highly recommend you try PDANet. You can try it for free but it will disconnect after a timeout and won't allow you to connect to https websites. There is a one-time cost (don't recall how much, maybe $7) to get the full version.

PDANet also provides the ability to tether via USB or Bluetooth but, to me, wifi is the preferred method.
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
LG G2 5.0, Verizon network. I know part of my problem is the PC used 8.1(hateit).

Used Foxfi in past different PC and phone. Do'nt think I need it now But...................

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe tell us the exact make and model of your phone and who your carrier is? Perhaps we can be more explicit on the instructions.

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a little confused too. I've had an Android for a long time and have never used an app to bring up a HotSpot.

1. You've bought Hotspot from your carrier (ATT, VZ, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc.) right?
2. Your carrier has turned it on?
3. Go into Settings, Thethering and Hotspot, click "On"

Watch phone to see if Hotspot is enabled as well as SSID, and password.

Voila.
Point your laptop at the phone's SSID.
Type in the password.

Done.

kgragert
Explorer
Explorer
With my Samsung SIII and Verizon.
In Settings> More Settings> Mobile Hotspot, is all I need.
No additional app required.
I thought when I retired my Hobby would be RVing.
I was wrong, my Hobby apparently is Finding and stopping leaks.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
pdanet and foxfi are one in the same today (been that way for about a year now.) if you have pdanet without foxfi built in, you need to update your copy of pdanet.

pdanet does work with some lg phones under 5.0 but it's finicky. I use it with an lg g2 on Verizon and often have to hit the wifi hotspot button under pdanet a few times for it to start successfully.

If you're on verizon and have a limited data plan, the official wifi hotspot app can be turned on for free - I think you do it through the website.

usb is actually harder now to make work than wifi, due to increases in device security and I have no experience using the bluetooth mode.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
I use FoxFi and love it. One time fee to install and easy to use.