cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Microsoft GPS Puck causes Windows 10 to abort to BSOD

wlittle
Explorer
Explorer
MS Streets and trips has been working under Win 10 until the Anniversary update. Now the system crashes when the USB cable for the Pharos GPS-500 is plunged in, with BSOD msg "KERNEL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE" or other times it is "IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL".

If you are using S&T with Win 10, avoid updating to the Anniversary update.

I have heard from one other user that has had the same result.

If anyone has made this work, please help!!
Bill & Vicki Little
Doby Little Dog
1998 Tradewinds
2009 Acadia Toad
11 REPLIES 11

ReadyToGo
Explorer
Explorer
BSOD are almost always caused by drivers. You might try running in compatibility mode. Better option would be to dual boot your current computer with Win 10 and Win 7. Should be cheaper than buying another computer.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
WIndows "fixed" the drivers for the GPS dongle.

Originally 8it showed up as a COM:# device and that is what S&T is designed to work with, but Microsoft "Fixed" it so it shows up as a "Sensor".. Well as a "SENSOR" S&T can not see it. Nor can most other programs. (One assumes that they are coming out with a new version of S&T).

I think the last update "Un-Fixed" it. so it works again but I had a 3rd party driver that fixed it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

deadeye1
Explorer
Explorer
Check out
www.laptopgpsworld.com They usually have a lot of good ideas for fixes like this

Wirenut901
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem with Microsoft Streets and Trips. The Blue Screen of Death every time I plugged the GPS in. Even tried buying a generic USB GPS off of Amazon but that didn't work either. My solution: pick up a cheap laptop running Windows 7. I'm back with live GPS tracking now. I hope you learn from my mistakes.

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
emiddleb wrote:
I may have a fix for the Win 10 Anniversary patch blowing up the USB GPS for S&T. Background - am running Win 10 with S&T 2013 and the USB-attached GPS which had come with my older CoPilot software. Prior to the Anniversary patch it worked fine, and now it didn't find the GPS.

It's an issue with the driver. If you go to Control Panel -> Device Manager and see an error with the PL2303 driver (code 10) then this should fix your issue.

Go here... http://wp.brodzinski.net/hardware/fake-pl2303-how-to-install/

and follow the instructions. You will have to download the older driver found in the instructions and install it. Then using Device Manager you roll back the driver to the older version you just installed. Then have S&T rescan for a GPS.

At least in my case it worked... S&T 2013 on Win 10 Anniversary patch now sees my GPS plugged into one of my USB ports and is working fine.

Hope this helps. I have nothing to do with this fix, just found through Google, ran all the various virus scans etc, seems to be ok. Original source of discussion was in the Microsoft community forums, many people report success.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/prolific-usb-to-serial-comm-port-windows-10/0a4f8e48-7135-4434-9d10-349c9ce87fcf?auth=1

Thank You for the info, I will check this out later in the day and let you know if it took care of the problem. Jay

I checked this out the best I could but couldn't figure it out! not smart enough, I don't need my S&T until late spring so I will see if their is a fix before then. I may reinstall windows 7 so I can use my S&T, I use my ACER netbook just for trips so windows 7 will be fine, I wouldn't have updated to 10 if I knew that it was going give me this problem.
J herb

emiddleb
Explorer
Explorer
I may have a fix for the Win 10 Anniversary patch blowing up the USB GPS for S&T. Background - am running Win 10 with S&T 2013 and the USB-attached GPS which had come with my older CoPilot software. Prior to the Anniversary patch it worked fine, and now it didn't find the GPS.

It's an issue with the driver. If you go to Control Panel -> Device Manager and see an error with the PL2303 driver (code 10) then this should fix your issue.

Go here... http://wp.brodzinski.net/hardware/fake-pl2303-how-to-install/

and follow the instructions. You will have to download the older driver found in the instructions and install it. Then using Device Manager you roll back the driver to the older version you just installed. Then have S&T rescan for a GPS.

At least in my case it worked... S&T 2013 on Win 10 Anniversary patch now sees my GPS plugged into one of my USB ports and is working fine.

Hope this helps. I have nothing to do with this fix, just found through Google, ran all the various virus scans etc, seems to be ok. Original source of discussion was in the Microsoft community forums, many people report success.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/prolific-usb-to-serial-comm-port-windows-10/0a4f8e48-7135-4434-9d10-349c9ce87fcf?auth=1
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Roadmaster Tow Dolly

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
Im having the same problem with my S&T 2013, I can setup a trip and save it than when I plug in the antenna it won't work. I tried several things and even reinstalled the S&T from the CD and no change.
I also did some checking on the S&T site and everyone running windows 10 is having the same problem, so it looks like Microsoft has left us out and I don't think they will do anything about it.
( some more of your hard earned money gone down the drain )

I was thinking ( LOL ) could you partition your hard drive and install windows 7 or 8 to just run S&T ? I have a ACER netbook laptop just to use on trips to run S&T and for getting info using WiFi
J herb

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Our Samsung WiFi Tablet has the GPS built in. No need for a puck or anything else...

We use two offline mapping solutions: Co Pilot, and Sygic. Both are excellent and easily rival Streets,and Trips. For traffic it's Google Maps.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Throw the ancient puck away and get a new one, they're cheap on Amazon.

$15 generic unit, I have plugged into a tablet right now, running the latest Windows build. No BSOD
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

wlittle
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, that is my post. I wanted to post here because RV'ers seem to be the last holdouts for PC navigation with Streets and Trips.
Bill & Vicki Little
Doby Little Dog
1998 Tradewinds
2009 Acadia Toad

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Would be best if you tried the Microsoft forums.
They don't seem to be having much luck...

Microsoft Forum

EDIT
LOL Is that your post, sorry about that.