cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MiFi and huge data draw

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
Using a Verizon MiFi hotspot and suddenly am having HUGE amounts of data being used. No videos, no games, no streaming, no online voice even. In 30 minutes has used over 1.2 Gb while I am reading emails and accessing a very small number of websites.

Always use a good security program and ran a scan - nothing. Did a Spyware check - zero. Cleaned caches, cleaned temp files. All give no answers. Have had data spikes over 6 gb and 2.2 gbs all in short times and generally using mostly my Comcast email account.

I cannot think of anything else to do. Am replacing the hotspot in case it is faulting. Verizon was pretty unable to assist in three tech calls. Sigh.

Any ideas of what has changed?? I have used a hotspot for over three years............. my internet habits have not changed. Just the data being used is now unreal!!! I need internet access on the road and this has always worked before. HELP!!!
53 REPLIES 53

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
From your own checking can you determine the day and time of day this is happening?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
Messages from Verizon on data usage and my own checking of my data usage. Back to zero today and getting new MiFI. Guess I'll see if the MiFi was the issue. I have done all I know to do to chut down other items. Keep the suggestions coming and THANKS to all for taking the time to try and help.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
How are you being informed of this large data usage?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
Win 8 has a setting in the properties for your wifi connection to set it as a mobile limited connection and will automatically restrict data usage such as windows updates and Live tiles.
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

1rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Try turning off your flash player. I noticed a drop in
data usage.Through out the day dial the check data number.

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
How does Comcast factor into the system?

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Just do a Google search of Verizon hotspot "phantom usage". Lots of info out there.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have turned off the Windowsauto updates, am in the middle of the desert in AZ where there are few people around and this has happened in multiple locations so is not someone using my MiFi so a password change would not help.

I am suspecting either the MiFI faulting hence the new one on the way and/or Comcast is such a data hog in the background with their imbedded photos. I will jusy have to watch like a hawk, turn off what I can as I use the computer all the while gritting my teeth in fear of this again.

Verizon did not give me any relief from all the extra data and of course my MiFi was out of warranty................ $$$$.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
We also just had a large data usage. My laptop notifies me when Windows updates so I knew what it was. This was within the last week.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

docj
Explorer
Explorer
Windows 8 machines, in addition to Live Tiles (which can easily be turned off) do try to use the Cloud to backup data files. Normally that isn't a serious data user it could add up if you've told it to backup a large percentage of your files.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The new Windows 8 machines have a number of "live tiles" that use data constantly and/or upload/update data to and from the "cloud". I also found that my phone (tied to the same data plan) was uploading every picture I took after installing Dropbox to my phone and computer. Dropbox is VERY bad if you leave the defaults in place and I burned through a bunch of data (over 20GB) before I could figure it out.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

hugemoth
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar problem when I switched from XP to W7 and a new laptop. I tried lots of different things and the only solution that worked was to go into the advanced firewall settings and block everything except one incoming and one outgoing connection that were required for it to connect. It's been working fine since.

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
M GO BLUE wrote:
Try changing the password on your hotspot as someone else may be logged on also...

If you are using a Verizon 4G JetPack, tap the HotSpot icon (while it's active) and it will show you who is logged in to your device.

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
If you use FireFox, you can install "AdBlock Plus" as an add in.

That will stop all the rotating ads on webpages that can really eat your data. I've read on forums that some folks have cut their data usage almost in half by doing this.

There are probably similar programs for other browsers.

Please share with us if you discover the culprit and a solution.

M_GO_BLUE1
Explorer
Explorer
Try changing the password on your hotspot as someone else may be logged on also...

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison

2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel

Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)