cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mobile Router that will auto connect to Wi FI- RESOLVED

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I am looking to install a mobile router that will auto connect to my wifi at home and that will auto connect to my hotspot or known wifi source when on the road. I want to set it up once and forget about it. I don't want to reset/reconnect the router at each destination.
Do all models auto connect? Is there a model I should look for?
I'm looking for a mobile router. Should I be looking for a different device?
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide
20 REPLIES 20

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
I am looking to install a mobile router that will auto connect to my wifi at home and that will auto connect to my hotspot or known wifi source when on the road. I want to set it up once and forget about it. I don't want to reset/reconnect the router at each destination.
Do all models auto connect? Is there a model I should look for?
I'm looking for a mobile router. Should I be looking for a different device?

Realistically, you're almost always going to be better off with your hotspot than using the free campground Wifi since that free Wifi is almost always so oversubscribed that it's slower and less reliable than using a hotspot. (I've had much better luck with paid campground Wifi, but you need to sign on through a login screen, so it's harder to make it automatically connect).

But even ignoring that, pretty much every campground has a Wifi password and/or guest login screen that you have to click through to gain access to the wifi, so you can't easily automate that. (unless you always go to the same campgrounds and your wifi repeater remembers all of the SSID's and passwords), assuming they rarely change the passwords).

What I do, (which is probably more "high touch" than what you want) is use a small Wifi router in the RV that my devices connect to, since that has a static SSID/password, I never have to reconfigure anything else. Then I manually plug that either into my hotspot router or to a 5Ghz or 2Ghz Wifi repeater with a directional antenna that I can aim at the campground's Wifi source), and I manually set it to the SSID/Password of the campground. Only takes a minute or so to set it up.

I believe this is pretty much what the Wineguard Connect does (which comes in a convenient roof mounted enclosure).

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
Is it that difficult for a data reseller to list which service it's actually reselling? Point being that att and Verizon work ok in some areas but not in others. Sprint and Tmobile are even less available in remote areas.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Just like at home, you can give your mobile router a network name and password, and have your devices connect to your mobile network. However, you're going to have to have your mobile router look for available wifi connections at each location and connect the router to the desired wifi.Once you're connected to the desired network, your devices can connect to your router network.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
lane hog wrote:
Not really clear why you want a router... do you have wired devices you need to connect, or are you just trying to have wifi in your RV?

If it's just wifi coverage, I solved that issue by setting my phone's hotspot to have the same SSID and password as my home wifi. I never turn it on at home as a hotspot so there's no contention. All of the kids devices and our smart TV connect automatically whether we are in the truck or the RV.

Where I think your request falls apart is having a router recognize multiple networks and expecting it to connect seamlessly. Range extenders and access points are more or less configured to look for a single SSID.

Basically I'm trying to keep it simple and avoid setting up all my devices at each CG vs. setting up one device.
Some devices set up easier than others. My RV smart thermostat doesn't like to be set up.LOL
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not really clear why you want a router... do you have wired devices you need to connect, or are you just trying to have wifi in your RV?

If it's just wifi coverage, I solved that issue by setting my phone's hotspot to have the same SSID and password as my home wifi. I never turn it on at home as a hotspot so there's no contention. All of the kids devices and our smart TV connect automatically whether we are in the truck or the RV.

Where I think your request falls apart is having a router recognize multiple networks and expecting it to connect seamlessly. Range extenders and access points are more or less configured to look for a single SSID.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

HackerAce
Explorer
Explorer
Try this out, we are so happy ๐Ÿ™‚

https://safarisolutionsllc.com/
John McKean

1999 National Tropical
1965 Shelby Cobra Factory Five MK III Kit
2015 Hyundai Genesis
2013 Polaris RZR 800 S