cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

[OP Update] Windows 8.1 compared to Win7 - user experience

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
I don't normally ask technology questions on here, but the good cross section of folks probably has some good insights...

My Mom is 82 years young and her computer just died. Over the years she has gone from Vista to XP to Win7. Most new computers come with Windows 8.1 and 10 will be out later this year.

Thing is, the last couple of years she has gotten increasingly less interested in learning new things. I tend to be her "tech support" remotely and also have Win7 with no plans to upgrade.

Question is, other than the Desktop layout on Windows 8, is there really that much difference once you start running familiar apps? She mainly uses Thunderbird for email, Internet Explorer, and a little Office 2010 here and there.

Wondering if we should let her give a go on Windows 8.1, or to downgrade the new system to Win7 before installing/configuring all her apps.

An OP update is available below

See my update below...

Yet another update below...
Roaming Full Timer
60 REPLIES 60

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
My goodness, people sure hate change don't they. You must all be driving your Nash's still. Heaven forbid you buy a car with any technology and that new fangled blue tooth connectivity!

You can boot 81. directly to the desktop. Put icons on the desktop for the things shes uses. All the applications she's used to will look and function the same.

And the start menu is not any different than before, it just uses big tiles now. Which can be easily dragged around to make them more useable for an individual.

If you really like Win 7and just can't give it up, wait for 10. It's bringing back the start menu.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
samsontdog wrote:
W 7 for sure ! I had W 8 for short time and hated it !!!!
Win 7 on my laptop, Win 8.1 on my desktop. Hate it!
Have added an app form IOBIT to make the "Start" menu work just like 7. It is an improvement.
My problem with Win 8 is half the time I can't find how to close a window or go back.
If Win 10 looks more like Win 7 I'll be there in a heartbeat!!
Meanwhile my laptop gets more work than my desktop!
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
SCR wrote:
I really don't know how you would upgrade a Windows 8.1 system to Windows 7 as MS is no longer selling a license for Win 7 Premium. (Yes, I said upgrade to Win 7)

She already has license to use Windows 7 which was used to upgrade the dead machine from XP, so nothing stopping us from installing it on a replacement machine.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.
Roaming Full Timer

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I too had to reduce my use of my XP-PRO machines sometime ago. Been using my Wifes WIN 7 laptop and it does pretty good for what I am doing. I finally got a real good deal from QVC on WIN 8.1 for me to use now and it came with a bunch of software - Around $600 and on their six easy payments...

Daughter is setting it for me now. It will look just like WINDOWs 7 as far as using it is concerned.

HSN also has similar deals going as well...

It also came with OFFICE 365 which is a free subscription first year and has to be renewed each year after that. I think I heard the cost for renewal is going to be $70. I was going to put MS OFFICE 2007 on it but internet had a bunch of YES's it would work but there was also a couple of NO it won't...

I think I will be satisfied just fine with the DELL 17" LAPTOP INSPIRON 17R5737... This is a great laptop with Intel Core I7 - 8GB RAM - 1TB HD and came with MS365 OFFICE and Tech support and they added 7-8 free other useful programs... This thing screams...
I doubt I will renew the MS365 next year unless it really shows me a big improvement over my MS OFFICE 2007.

This also works well my two 24-inch DELL external MONITORs and Keyboard setup. Havent tried my RADIO COMMs interface yet but I can probably continue to use my DELL M90 Setup to do all of that. Not on the Internet much on those circuits.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

SCR
Explorer
Explorer
tkcas01 wrote:
I don't normally ask technology questions on here, but the good cross section of folks probably has some good insights...

My Mom is 82 years young and her computer just died. Over the years she has gone from Vista to XP to Win7. Most new computers come with Windows 8.1 and 10 will be out later this year.

Thing is, the last couple of years she has gotten increasingly less interested in learning new things. I tend to be her "tech support" remotely and also have Win7 with no plans to upgrade.

Question is, other than the Desktop layout on Windows 8, is there really that much difference once you start running familiar apps? She mainly uses Thunderbird for email, Internet Explorer, and a little Office 2010 here and there.

Wondering if we should let her give a go on Windows 8.1, or to downgrade the new system to Win7 before installing/configuring all her apps.

I'm 70 and use Windows 7. I will not be going to Windows 8, 8.1 or 10. I tried 8 and 8.1 and didn't like it. I see nothing in Windows 10 that I find worth the change.

We old folks are adverse to change for the sake of change. If any of the other flavors of Windows offered me something worth while I would give more consideration to them, but they don't.

My opinion is to do your Mom a favor and don't frustrate her with a change as drastic as Windows 8. I really don't know how you would upgrade a Windows 8.1 system to Windows 7 as MS is no longer selling a license for Win 7 Premium. (Yes, I said upgrade to Win 7)

As has been said HP is still selling systems with Windows 7 Professional, I just bought one and waiting for delivery. I will be replacing the 13 year old XP system that my wife is using with the Win 7 I'm using now. It was a fight to get her to change but I promised that except for the faster speed she will be able to do the same things she likes to do.

This brings a question to mind. I don't know what system your Win 7 is but it may be a good time for you to get a new system and give yours to your Mom. The one I have now is a dual core AMD and my new one is a HP Envy with a 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4790 processor quad-core 3.6GHz, 8MB Shared Cache, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, which I managed to get for a very reasonable price. On the other hand maybe you would be happy with a new 8.1 system with a free upgrade to win10 when it's released..

As soon as 10 is released or the stock runs out Windows 7 will be gone unless you buy a refurbished system.

By the way, good for your Mom and still using a computer and good for you to help her with your support. You're a good Kid! ๐Ÿ˜‰

on Edit:
I just noticed that some one posted that a friend purchased a Win 7 license, or at least the Install. It is probably an OEM and I would be very careful in purchasing something like this. A lot of these things being sold can not be activated on MS because they are not Genuine and may be a pirated copy.

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
MNtundraRet wrote:
One more thing to worry about. Microsoft is now trying to get people to pay yearly for Word and spreadsheets.

I currently use Windows 7 which came with Windows starter and spreadsheets with adds, but no problem since they were free. I would love to upgrade to free version of Windows 10 but am afraid they will not allow it to work in Windows 10.

I am not paying the cost of new versions when I only use a few spreadsheets created over the years for monthly net worth reports listing all of our IRA's and bank accounts, etc. The current free versions are fine. I may have to stick with Windows 7 which I am used to and have overcame any bugs.

I have been using the free LibreOffice for spreadsheets and word processing for a number of years. It can read and save in Microsoft Office file formats. The only part of Microsoft Office that I know it isn't compatible with is Visual Basic macros. Download and give it a try.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
I, too, hated Windows 8 that came on my new laptop. After a few months I was ready to downgrade to Windows 7. However - I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to attend a short Windows 8 session put on by "Geeks on tour" before I made my downgrade attempt. Boy, am I glad I held off. It only took a brief education on a few basic things to allow me to easily adapt to Windows 8.1

Make sure you get Windows 8.1 , not 8.0. MS corrected some difficult issues in this update.

On the other hand, if your mother truly is resisting even minimal learning curves on the new OS, you can find pretty cheap Windows 7 OS on the internet. I just bought a new MS Windows 7 64 bit OS for $55. from one Online provider.

Good luck.

Se
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
One more thing to worry about. Microsoft is now trying to get people to pay yearly for Word and spreadsheets.

I currently use Windows 7 which came with Windows starter and spreadsheets with adds, but no problem since they were free. I would love to upgrade to free version of Windows 10 but am afraid they will not allow it to work in Windows 10.

I am not paying the cost of new versions when I only use a few spreadsheets created over the years for monthly net worth reports listing all of our IRA's and bank accounts, etc. The current free versions are fine. I may have to stick with Windows 7 which I am used to and have overcame any bugs.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
W 7 for sure ! I had W 8 for short time and hated it !!!!
samsontdog:o:W

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
Hate Hate Hate 8.1 Can't say it enough. Find it not user friendly. I am in my 70s so that might have something to do with that. Get her a Win 7 if you can. I am hoping when Win 10 is release(not Beta) and I switch this one over I will be happier.

I have had computors since Windows came out, Wish I really could remember what I stared out with. That age thing again,

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
I'm a computer geek top to bottom..
Windows 8 has been, is, and will always be a disaster for Microsoft.

Like they say with buying a leaking RV....run.

Oh... So Windows Me all over again? She's been there too.
Roaming Full Timer

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a computer geek top to bottom..
Windows 8 has been, is, and will always be a disaster for Microsoft.

Like they say with buying a leaking RV....run.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
I run Windows 7 and based on what I have read about Windows 8 I will not be upgrading any time soon, suggest you google it. Windows 7 does everything that I need.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

SPRING_STREET
Explorer
Explorer
From my personal experience I don't think she will adapt to 8.1. I have it and don't like it and have not heard one good thing from any of my friends that use it . Take her to a Best Buy or other big box store and let her use the ones on display. Another option would be to buy a MAC, which is what I wish I had done !
2011 MOUNTAIN AIRE 4344, FMCA F334596, Cummins Power Play,Good Sams and KOA member..TOAD 2017 Ford Edge Titanium with a 6 cylinder Engine, License plate "TOWED" > RoadMaster Night Hawk Tow Bar and Base Plates. ๐Ÿ˜‰