cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

OUTLOOK 2007 End of support coming in OCT 2017

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been an OUTLOOK Email guy from day one. In my case case that goes back many years haha...

I resisted doing the MS OFFICE 365 monthly/yearly subscription and kept my MS 2007 OFFICE and OUTLOOK for my new WIN 10 computer upgrades etc...

Looks like options not all that great on what to do here... I can purchase OUTLOOK 2013 or 2016 just for the email and take off the MS OFFICE 2007 package which I really don't use much anyway... Would be nice to have it tho...

Reading the reviews from the MS site has alot of complaints for the MS standalone OUTLOOK 2016...

Then my daughter said why not use the MAIL feature in WIN 10... Been playing with that the past few days and it does work but it sure is a very simple EMAIL program... Nothing like the OUTLOOK email programs at all... It also doesn't receive the same emails that OUTLOOK does for some reason... I compared the two programs this morning and see that WIN 10 missed a few...

I'm wondering what others in this situation has done...

I really hate to get into the $99 a year for subscriptions to MS365. MS OUTLOOK 2016 is good thru 2028 I think I read somewhere. I just got an UPDATE yesterday for my MS 2007 Office and outlook online from MS...

I see several places on the internet where you can purchase MS OFFICE and OUTLOOK for 2016 with KEY they say but who knows who you are buying from haha... Even CNET is getting dangerous here sometimes...

I also have four or five computers here as well... A minimum of two would be needed here with MS OUTLOOK on them... I like to have several mail folders for my various subjects and also have been keeping company related sales emails with new electronic items for two years before deleting... Would like to continue doing this...

Surely something out there to duplicate some of this... MS OUTLOOK 2016 from AMAZON for $109 and will be good until 2028... I would lose my MS OFFICE package however... MS365 subscription for their office including OUTLOOK is $99 a years or $9.99 a month subscription...

Always something else to get you hard earned money...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
14 REPLIES 14

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
Thunderbird (for me) and EMClient (for DW). Outlook? Seriously? Ugh.
2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
mileshuff wrote:
Could use Mozilla Thunderbird for email. Works very well.

Who knows what MS's support plan for Outlook 2007 really is. They said XP would have zero support yet MS is still updating it regularly and will continue thru 2019 for security updates.

Thanks for the advice for Thunderbird... I will check out its features. I see it likes the folders setup which is why I like OUTLOOK so well... Everything I want to keep track of is all together...

Yes I too still get updates on my WIN XP-PRO being used on my DELL M90 workstation. I loved that machine in its glory days... Now we all get to do docking features using a small box plugged into the USB 3.0 ports. I still get to use a good DELL inspiron super fast computer with all of the 24-inch monitors and ties in real good with my Ham radio and Emergency Comms software. So neat to have everything you need on one somewhat small laptop...

Roy ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
wildtoad wrote:
If I were 76, I'd just keep using what I had... ๐Ÿ˜‰

Haha... Well At 76 there is alot of using what I got already gone to the wind I reckon...

When you get this old things just are easier to take on a daily basis. I spend alot of my time outside where I usually park my OFF-ROAD trailer and sit around a fire pit all day long - dreaming about the good ole days I guess...

The big excitement here is counting the airplanes coming into Natl Airport some 50 miles north of here. They all fly over my house...

I got my tablet going running POLICE SCANNER t keep me company. Be playing with the BLUETOOTH speakers... I have had a DELL AD211 for a couple of years now but it is almost too big to slip into my pocket. So I just got a smaller speaker in today from AMAZON being the ARESPARK AS200... It fits in my pocket just great. Now my sound follows me around the area here with my tablet laying on the small table next to my easy chair.

Think I may get me a bigger BLUETOOTH repeater so I can cover my whole back yard... I have one in my popup trailer but it goes away about 25-feet out. I feed all of audio channels to it from my Ham radio and Scanners inside the trailer...

got keep myself busy doing something haha... I will be working on my new battery bank upgrade pretty soon...

Have no idea what other 76 year old dudes do...

Its all about fresh ground and brew bean coffee and hard candy for me here haha...

Roy Ken
Roy - Carolyn
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Could use Mozilla Thunderbird for email. Works very well.

Who knows what MS's support plan for Outlook 2007 really is. They said XP would have zero support yet MS is still updating it regularly and will continue thru 2019 for security updates.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I were 76, I'd just keep using what I had... ๐Ÿ˜‰
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been playing with WIN10 MAIL for two days now and not getting anywhere... I thought I was going to at least have it make a bunch of folders for me but it does it on two of my email accounts with our local cable internet company here but not for NETZERO.COM account which is the one I have 99% of emails on... They are all three POP SMTP emails...

If I am not able to have a bunch of folders to keep everything in I will not use it for sure...

I'm still using my 2007 OUTLOOK and all works fine. I too just got an update the last couple of days ago...

If I can come up with a good one time price for the 2013 or 2016 version OUTLOOK will probably go with that... I think I read one of those goes to 2028 and me being 76 that should work out just fine hehe...

Roy Ken
Roy - Carolyn
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
I think I'll just keep using it. Functionally it works fine and unless someone puts a of of effort into a hack, which Microsoft could only cleanup after the fact anyway, I see little risk. The new offerings are needlessly complex for what I am doing good with email these days as email is becoming less important all the time anyway.
Thanks for the notice, I'd not heard.

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

RPreeb
Explorer
Explorer
I dropped Outlook a long time ago. As soon as mobility became an issue, I switched to Gmail, and that is all I use now. I can access it from anywhere on any device. I guess I don't really see any need for a stand alone email program. I have 2 Gmail accounts, one for personal email and one for most of my on line forum and website communication. I check each a few times a day and scrap any junk I find.
Rick
2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 3.5 EB
2017 Jay Feather X213

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Outlook and Hotmail are two entirely different animals. Hotmail is an online email client, and Outlook is a stand alone email client that was mostly part of MS Office suite.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Does this mean Hotmail will just stop working ? Or, maybe just not be safe from attacks ?

I've been hotmail forever, and tho I have a Gmail account, don't use it much. I have years and years of info in hotmail folders online. So, maybe should load all these into Thunderbird instead. It keeps the files and folders right on the PC, but then, well, you download into PC, which I prefer not. Rather read on the website and keep only what matters. Guess I'll switch to Gmail over the next few months.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^^^^That's what I was thinking. Support may be ending, but that doesn't necessarily mean you have to stop using it. Support ended for Microsoft Money program quite a few years ago, but I still use it because it does what I want and does it well. When it stops working I'll probably have to move on but so far so good.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
I will just keep using my Office 2007. Support may be ending but the program will still work, just not receive updates. We just received a Service Pack 3 update last week and should be pretty well up to date. All of my mail goes through Gmail first and I use POP3 to access it on Outlook. I will rely on Gmail, my anti-virus and malware programs to keep me safe.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
NCWriter wrote:

I've evolved to Google for contacts and calendar over the years. So I may - reluctantly - just give up on Outlook and save emails by topics in the Gmail folder system.

I just might have to do the same here... I'd rather spend the $100 a year on battery replacements haha...

Roy Ken
Roy - Carolyn
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
This subject is very interesting to me also. I've been using Outlook for years and like organizing the folders, searching, and just the way it appears on the screen.

Recently my Outlook conked out after a restart, and I had to re-do the account settings. Discovered that Google considers Outlook and other "desktop mail clients" to be lacking in "modern security standards." To continue using it, I had to allow "access for less secure apps." It could only be set up with POP3 rather than the more mobile-friendly IMAP.

I've evolved to Google for contacts and calendar over the years. So I may - reluctantly - just give up on Outlook and save emails by topics in the Gmail folder system.

I like my desktop computer for writing projects and organizing my documents when we're at home but find that I use the tablet and phone now vastly more for email and net surfing, at home as well as while traveling.