cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

pimping an rv with an indoor projector

pommyg
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering installing a projector in an RV (when I buy it!) - has anyone done that and how did it go. Apologies if someones already described it but my searching skills are lacking. I have seen projectors available cheapy on woot etc and feel that the weight of a screen will be much less than that of a large LCD screen when driving around - for that big screen experience.
17 REPLIES 17

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
pommyg wrote:
Kiwi_too wrote:
Wow. 50 inches from the big screen. Not for me. I hope you can work out what you want. Good luck.

Thanks for your honesty. I will keep it to a minimum budget and see. From the link I provided though I thought we would be more like 5 to 6 feet away. Whatever happens I will report back here re what I think of the products I used and how unrealistic an idea it was.

You are probably right as to about 75" for the dinette, outside dimensions. Your screen will also be in front of the dinette, losing about 2-3 inches. I believe this will bring you down under 6 feet once I consider the size of my big head. So 66" (5 1/2 foot) is still pretty close. You will also be sitting to the sides and not centered.

Have you measured 66" from your screen at home and tried sitting at that distance. set some chairs up at that distance and about 4' apart to simulate sitting on each side of the coach.

It's all personal preference but I think I would end up with a headache. It may work for you.

Good luck.

pommyg
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Winegard wrote:
It looks great from my perspective as long as no one has to "p" during the show. Go forward and you will have a great experience at night and a "so-so" experience when daylight can hit the screen.

I forgot about p'ing during a movie whilst having a beer! Good point. Thanks.

J-mans Dad wrote:
My thinking if you want to do this is mount the projector in the cabinets above the sofa and velcro a screen (or white sheet) to the opposite wall. It would be easy to mock this up to see how it works before committing to final install or purchase of a retracting screen.
If you can find an Epson Movie Mate, they usually have the DVD player built in with integrated stereo speakers.

We will try the velcro idea around the RV before screwing anything in.

J-mans_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
My thinking if you want to do this is mount the projector in the cabinets above the sofa and velcro a screen (or white sheet) to the opposite wall. It would be easy to mock this up to see how it works before committing to final install or purchase of a retracting screen.
If you can find an Epson Movie Mate, they usually have the DVD player built in with integrated stereo speakers.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
It looks great from my perspective as long as no one has to "p" during the show. Go forward and you will have a great experience at night and a "so-so" experience when daylight can hit the screen.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

pommyg
Explorer
Explorer
Kiwi_too wrote:
Wow. 50 inches from the big screen. Not for me. I hope you can work out what you want. Good luck.

Thanks for your honesty. I will keep it to a minimum budget and see. From the link I provided though I thought we would be more like 5 to 6 feet away. Whatever happens I will report back here re what I think of the products I used and how unrealistic an idea it was.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad

pommyg
Explorer
Explorer
I slept on this and thought of the following configuration.

Screen is attached to the overhead storage (wooden) on either side of coach in front of fridge and at start of dinette. Projector is placed in gap between cab and coach which we cant climb into anyway as too small.

I have edited the image and uploaded it to a flickr account but cant seem to get it to render on here.

For those of you interested ...

Here is the link
http://www.flickr.com/photos/99366393@N04/

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Certainly not too small. Just find a place that will allow you (you all) to be comfortable while viewing.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

pommyg
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky Badger wrote:
I think the rv is too small...a big screen in a small area your head may get tired .

We thought that at first but it's fine at home in the basement. We have about the same distance from sofa to screen.

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
I think the rv is too small...a big screen in a small area your head may get tired .
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

pommyg
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All

Thanks for that.

We dont have a TV at home and like to watch an evening movie indoors when at home. A glass of wine/beer and a nice movie in the rv is what we have in mind.

The unit we are likely getting is a 23P from four winds. no slide out. Similar to below.

Where would you put the pj and a pull down screen? We are thinking opposite the sofa..

Any installation places anyone could recommend on West Coast of Washington/Oregon?
Alternatively, we could get one of these... little installation needed by looks of it.
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Streaming-Projector-Powered-SPR1000/dp/B008X1BV2Y/

Pommy

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now that sounds like fun! Wish we were there.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We take our projector with us, along with a king size white sheet. Movie nights are every Friday night at the campground where we camp host. It's usually a Disney or Pixar flick since you can pretty much count on those being acceptable for most everyone. It's bring your own chair, popcorn and drink. We provide the entertainment.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
lap527 wrote:
buying the bulbs is the big expense. I would be checking the prices of the replacement bulbs before investing in a projector.

And an RV is a pretty much non-stop bumps and vibrations when you are traveling down the road....not very good for a bulb:(
And worse for an expensive bulb:S
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau ๐Ÿ™‚
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.๐Ÿ˜ž
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets