cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable Satellite Cable Storage..ideas??

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
For several years now I have been using the Winegard Carryout antenna for Directv... I have attached 2 (50 ft) RG-6 cables along with the power cord to it.. I the past I have just coiled up the wires in about a 3 ft circle when storing them and antenna but am looking for a better / easier / smaller way to do it.. Question.. Will wrapping RG-6 around a extension cord reel (approx 8 inch circle) damage the RG-6? Just looking for a smaller and more neat way to store the wires as hooking and unhooking them from the antenna everytime is a PIA..
11 REPLIES 11

Gundog
Explorer II
Explorer II
chindog wrote:
I've used this one for years for my dish cable. No problems at all.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-150-ft-16-3-Extension-Cord-Storage-Reel-HD-130PDQ/205038360

This is what I would use I have one for my water hose works great.
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000

FrankoToo
Explorer
Explorer
chindog wrote:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-150-ft-16-3-Extension-Cord-Storage-Reel-HD-130PDQ/205038360

X2
FrankoToo
2018 Cruiser Stryker ST2313
2011 Ford F450 6.7L PS 4X4 Crew Cab Lariat

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I roll mine up in a 12-14" circle ending with the last 4-5' routed in and out of the circle to keep the coax from uncoiling. I have 2 small hooks screwed to the wall inside my TT storage area. I slide the top part of the coiled coax over the top hook then stretch it a little to hook on the bottom hook. It's flat against the wall and stays put taking up hardly any space.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fisherman wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
If you go into most any store that sells coax you will find that they are bundled in about the size you are wanting to use. No problem!

Sure that's right but I would believe once the cable is sold to someone for installation it's installed permanently and not rolled up after every weekend. Kinks and bends should be avoided, that's what learned from an electronics acquaintance.

Rolling up the coax is very different than kinking or bending. Rolling up the coax will not cause any issues.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Without doing research I think the RECOMMENDED minimum circle for Coax is 12 inches.. However I do not think 8" will damage it for that's close to how its coiled in the stores.

So Google is your friend
"The minimum bending radius is 5 times the diameter of the cable"

That's what I get for trusting memory.. 8" will be just fine.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
DD716TED wrote:
For several years now I have been using the Winegard Carryout antenna for Directv... I have attached 2 (50 ft) RG-6 cables along with the power cord to it.. I the past I have just coiled up the wires in about a 3 ft circle when storing them and antenna but am looking for a better / easier / smaller way to do it.. Question.. Will wrapping RG-6 around a extension cord reel (approx 8 inch circle) damage the RG-6? Just looking for a smaller and more neat way to store the wires as hooking and unhooking them from the antenna everytime is a PIA..

No. It will not damage the cable. You will be OK, as long as you do not kink (bend) and unkink the cable.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
If you go into most any store that sells coax you will find that they are bundled in about the size you are wanting to use. No problem!

Sure that's right but I would believe once the cable is sold to someone for installation it's installed permanently and not rolled up after every weekend. Kinks and bends should be avoided, that's what learned from an electronics acquaintance.

chindog
Explorer
Explorer

2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Honda CRV toad

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œ...but am looking for a better / easier / smaller way to do it.โ€

If you rolled the cable at or above the diameter in which it was sold, seems to me that would be acceptable.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Do you mean something like this?

Note that the package is just under 9" diameter in the specifications.