cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question on Television wiring in my 5th wheel

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
My 5th wheel has a plug on the side wear I attach the cable to for my TV signal. It has three jacks inside the RV one in rear bunk room one in living room and one in our bedroom. We currently have just one TV in the living room.

My questions are:

I use a satellite dish for the Dish network and can never get the wiring to work for it I have to run the cable through the window and into the dish box to get it to work.

What if anything am I doing wrong?

How can I get this to work if I put in a second TV in our bedroom? Do I need another Dish box?

Now if the campground has cable I hook up from campground post to the side of my RV and I can get a signal inside the RV.

Under this connection would the 2nd TV in our bedroom work without any issues?

Thanks for your help

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
13 REPLIES 13

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
dpgllg wrote:
cpaulsen wrote:
2oldman wrote:
dpgllg wrote:
1.What if anything am I doing wrong?

2.How can I get this to work if I put in a second TV in our bedroom? Do I need another Dish box?

3.(cable)Under this connection would the 2nd TV in our bedroom work without any issues?
1. Sat tv doesn't work with any splitters in the coax between the dish and receiver.

2. If you want to watch a different channel on TV 2, it'll need a separate box and coax feed

3. Yes.

I installed cable in my 5ver. From the Dish to a satellite splitter. One goes to the living room and the other to the bedroom. I use a dual tuner receiver and watch 2 different programs on the tv's. One is HD and the other is not.

OK so would this setup work for me to be able to watch Dish Network on two TV's and NOT the same channel on both?

EBAY listing

Yes.....I can watch tv in both places on different channels. The LV tv gets HD and the bedroom does not.
cpaulsen

nylyon
Explorer
Explorer
dpgllg wrote:

My questions are:

I use a satellite dish for the Dish network and can never get the wiring to work for it I have to run the cable through the window and into the dish box to get it to work.

What if anything am I doing wrong?

The cable from the outside runs to the inside jack with the power amplified button on it. You have a couple of choices to get this to work both of them will require modifications to how that jack is wired. Jayco's have an A/B plate which you can add as well. If you're interested in doing this, I can elaborate more but the modification will look something like this:

dpgllg wrote:

How can I get this to work if I put in a second TV in our bedroom? Do I need another Dish box?

If you want to view a separate channel, yes. If you want to view the same channel AND have an RF output on your satellite receiver, the modification I alluded to above can help distribute the signal to the remainder of the RV

dpgllg wrote:

Now if the campground has cable I hook up from campground post to the side of my RV and I can get a signal inside the RV.

Under this connection would the 2nd TV in our bedroom work without any issues?

Not sure I understand this question, but using the above idea, you can use cable OR satellite. To use both the satellite must have a separate cable run.
Karl, Liz, 3-kids and Pepper the puppy

2011 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 BHLT
2003 F-250 FX4 6.0 Powerstroke

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
cpaulsen wrote:
I use a dual tuner receiver and watch 2 different programs on the tv's. One is HD and the other is not.
One receiver? Boy, Dish must be a whole lot different from Direct.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
cpaulsen wrote:
2oldman wrote:
dpgllg wrote:

2.How can I get this to work if I put in a second TV in our bedroom? Do I need another Dish box?

3.(cable)Under this connection would the 2nd TV in our bedroom work without any issues?
1. Sat tv doesn't work with any splitters in the coax between the dish and receiver.

2. If you want to watch a different channel on TV 2, it'll need a separate box and coax feed

3. Yes.

I installed cable in my 5ver. From the Dish to a satellite splitter. One goes to the living room and the other to the bedroom. I use a dual tuner receiver and watch 2 different programs on the tv's. One is HD and the other is not.

OK so would this setup work for me to be able to watch Dish Network on two TV's and NOT the same channel on both?

EBAY listing
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
dpgllg wrote:

3. Yes.

cpaulsen

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
So much confusing info being posted here. As you read above you will see RG50 again, I assume RG59 was the intended number. Don't let the numbers get you off track. Whatever coax is in your coach "would" work to carry the satellite TV signal. The problem is that the manufacturer wired your coach for Cable TV and not Satellite TV. The 2 services are not compatible or interchangeable. However, depending upon how your coach is wired, you might be able to modify the wiring to work with either Cable TV or Satellite TV (but never both at the same time). Do you have a video control center in the coach were you have a black box with a bunch of buttons labeled Ant, Cable, VCR, etc.? If so, the cable connection comes into the back of this box and the signal is then sent to the various TV's. If you don't have one of these, the chances of being able to modify your cable connection is pretty low. What you would be looking for is a wall plate with a tiny button or slide switch and a tiny LED. When the light is on you can watch OTA TV and when it is off you can watch Cable. If it's a direct run to this box before being split you can modify that connection. If it's not a direct run you cannot.
Let us know what you have in your coach and I can get you some additional details.
Once you have a working incoming satellite signal a standard receiver has only one output so all TV's could watch the same 1 satellite channel. Dish also makes a dual tuner box which would allow 2 TV's to watch 2 different channels but only one could be in HD.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
the bear II wrote:
The trailer has RG6 coax Dish use RG8 coax to get the signal from the dish to the satellite box. That's why you have to run a separate feed through the window. I made mine permanent by finding a means to run the RG8 cable into the RV from the compartment my electrical cord comes out of. I was bale to feed the cable over to where the main TV and sat box sit. Now I just wind up the cable and store it inside the compartment for travel.

Some Dish Sat boxes are setup to feed two tvs. If you don't have one of those you can split the signal coming out of the box (TV out) and run a separate coax up to the other tvs or feed the TV out to your " plug on the side wear I attach the cable to for my TV signal" this will put the sat box signal onto all three TV connections...same channel will show on all 3 TVs.

If you want to see different channels on each tv you will need a dish antenna that provides multiple feeds and a sat box for each tv or "Hopper" box.

I am not sure that there is anything accurate in this post.
Even if what the poster meant was RG59 and RG6, no one is using RG8 for any wiring anywhere. The problem in your coach is the splitters and there is likely no resolution to make the existing wiring work with satellite TV. See my next post.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

sh410
Explorer
Explorer
RG50 & RG6 are the most common coax that is designed to carry video and audio signals. RG8 is designed to carry radio signals such as CB radio, but it can be used for video but is not designed for that purpose.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
My external cable didn't work either and here's what I found.. When they stripped the cable back to put a connector on it, they simply stripped it all the way down to the center conducter and chopped right through the shield. So said shield was not connected at all. Nice huh?

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
the bear II wrote:
The trailer has RG6 coax Dish use RG8 coax to get the signal from the dish to the satellite box. That's why you have to run a separate feed through the window. I made mine permanent by finding a means to run the RG8 cable into the RV from the compartment my electrical cord comes out of. I was bale to feed the cable over to where the main TV and sat box sit. Now I just wind up the cable and store it inside the compartment for travel.

Some Dish Sat boxes are setup to feed two tvs. If you don't have one of those you can split the signal coming out of the box (TV out) and run a separate coax up to the other tvs or feed the TV out to your " plug on the side wear I attach the cable to for my TV signal" this will put the sat box signal onto all three TV connections...same channel will show on all 3 TVs.

If you want to see different channels on each tv you will need a dish antenna that provides multiple feeds and a sat box for each tv or "Hopper" box.

Why would you use RG8 instead of RG6 from the dish to the receiver? I use RG6 with no problems.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
Your TV input to the trailer is routed through an amplifier. That amplifier will not pass a satellite signal so it must be bypassed. There is a diagram floating around "out there" which you can use to modify your inside TV outlet to work with satellite. Sorry I don't know the link for it. Someone else (Bill.satellite) may come to the rescue.

Newer trailers generally have a separate "Sat In" jack, I know that doesn't help you.
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
dpgllg wrote:

3. Yes.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer