cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rand McNally or Magellan gps

saaboo
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for the best gps out there please give me your opion, both say they have better faster maps,improved routing,lane guidance and junction views .
When your driving in California exspecialy Laos angeles, you better know where your going and what lane to be in??
20 REPLIES 20

S_NotFree
Explorer
Explorer
I recently asked the same question, after reading the replies where one guy said he had great luck with his tablet and adding a gps ap for RV's, I decided to try that first since I own a good Samsung Note. There are now 3 available aps and about $10 each. I also see there are now several dash cam aps, that you can use at the same time as your Nav ap. I am now looking for a dash mount that will allow my tablet to use the camera and GPS simultaneously while driving.
Scott 'n Kat

09 Monaco Riptide
Jeep Wrangler

tamijohnson
Explorer
Explorer
We love our Rand McNally 7730. We bought it for about $295 at TechnoRV and received very detailed emails from them that helped us learn how to use it. It had great pictures and easy to follow directions and saved us from having to sift through a huge owner's manual.
Even if you didn't buy it from them, you can get the Learning Series from them. It really is super informative. I think they do it with most of their products.
Anyway, my vote is for the Rand 7730.

http://www.technorv.com/Rand_McNally_RV_GPS_s/189.htm

Explorer
Explorer
Another recommendation for a Garmin - no traffic routing with the Rand McNally. The Garmin RV 760 includes free lifetime maps and traffic. Watch the routing on a Rand - it will take you onto low clearance roads no matter what the height is set to. Had one - brought it back because of this. I would not even consider the Magellan.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Garmin GPS And a Randy McNally atlas.

Hard to beat an actual atlas for planning, especially on the go, the GPS is great for navigation to a point, but seeing the entire map, looking at mile markers, roads less traveled...etc... hard to beat an old fashioned atlas for that.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

tres_vagabonds
Explorer
Explorer
Used to be strictly magellan for the handhelds but after the triton fiasco we went with garmin of the nuvi models we started with the 255w upgraded to the 1490LMT which we were very happy with it died last week and we are now running the 2590LMT which seems to be a pretty good unit.
Whatever you buy try and get one with lifetime maps and traffic

phays
Explorer
Explorer
Garmin Dezl 760 here. I had the first RM 5" rv gps and it was ok. Screen was a little dim and the touch screen was difficult to use but I got rid of it when it quit communicating with my computer and I couldn't update it. Spent over an hour on the phone with RM tech with no solution.

The Dezl has an auxiliary video input but I don't use it. It does communicate with my cell phone via blue tooth and allows hands free cell phone calls and also will use the phone to display a weather map.

From my experience, Garmin has the best display but I may be biased because I keep comparing it to my older units and I'm sure all the manufactures have upgraded their screens.

I use the POI Factory website to download extra POI's to the Garmin.

webslave
Explorer
Explorer
We use two of them...the built-in one in the coach (Jensen, I believe they use the Navteq maps) and a Good Sam Rand McNally 7" unit. I use the Good Sam site to plan trips and then download them to the Rand unit. I use the two of them together...if they don't agree, we get out the tried and true maps. The Good Sam Rand McNally unit has been right more times than the Jensen... The Good Sam Rand unit is easy on the eyes, we like the display of turns and route changes and at 7" it only takes a glance to "get the picture".
My 2 cents, your mileage may vary...

Don
Bronwyn
Down to 1 kitty...J-Lo, the princess

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX
2015 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk Towed

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Garmin.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
LOL about as many different opinions as there are GPS' out there. We like the Rand McNally. Had the others, like the set up of the Rand McNally that's for RVers... ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

donandmax
Explorer
Explorer
Don't trust any GPS ours liked to have led us right off the planet one time in Oregon. Keep Rand McNally handy and check,check,check.......
If it aint broke fix it till it is

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the Magellan and hated it. Took it back to Camping World and got the Rand McNally. Love it.

My best RV buddy loves the Magellan for use in his 40's Monaco.

I have an older smaller Garmin with live traffic which we use alongside the Rand for traffic information and follow its directions when it tells us to detour for traffic.

The choice of a GPS is largely which interface you like.

One of the best features of Garmin in my opinion is their live traffic updates. Beats Rand hand down. Don't know about Magellan or Tom-Tom.

All the GPS manufacturers use basically the same data from the states for routing and road suitability. Rand and Magellan do small updates frequently which is a very good thing in my opinion. Their system is designed to update things like low clearance, bridge weight limits, POI, speed limits frequently.

Garmin requires a 2 GB map update a couple times a year to update such info in one massive update.

Regardless - never ever completely trust a GPS to guide you. They are ADVISORY - not mandatory. You need to know where you are going.

In my experience Rand and Garmin both offer good lane directions for upcoming freeway intersections. Don't have experience enough with Magellan or Tom-Tom to know about them, but suspect it is the same.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Javi1
Explorer
Explorer
I was given a Magellan RV9365L-LM for Christmas a couple of years ago and it works fairly well. Coming from a Garmin it has been a bit of a let down as it can get lost pretty easily and it must be restarted to find itself again. Some of that problem isn't the unit's fault as the traffic patterns around DFW, SA, Houston and Austin are changing faster than the map updates.
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2015 Ford F-350XL 6.7 CC, DRW, RWD
(Finally enough tow vehicle 14,000 GVWR 6062 payload)

Wildwilly101
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased the Rand McNally RV GPS for the I-pad mini. It does require cell data capability to function otherwise a GPS antenna must be purchased too, theyโ€™re pretty inexpensive actually. It does a fairly good job but entering an address was a PITA for me. The Mrs. recently found better ways to do it, so I let her handle it. So far it has worked well and routes you according to RV type, rig length, height, width, and weight along with route preferences. The $99.99 price tag was a bit shocking for an app though. So far I give it a thumbs up.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never owned a Rand but I hated the Magellan. After many software updates, map updates, I finally just chucked it and went back to a Garmin. However, every brand and unit I have ever owned has taken me places I did not want to go.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT