cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Remembrances of vacuum tube days

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
As a young teenager, I developed a love for electronics which became a lifelong love affair. In those days vacuum tubes were the norm and solid state devices such as transistors weren't in usage then. I built many projects using vacuum tubes as a hobbyist during my teen years, such as ham radio equipment, stereo amplifiers and tuners and various pieces of test equipment, all employing vacuum tubes. I obtained some of the early transistors' back then and tried to experiment with them, but quit trying to learn how they worked since I was so involved with tubes. Of course, my position changed in time. Many products we use today wouldn't be possible or feasible without the advent of solid state devices.

I also remember my first portable radio, which employed miniature vacuum tubes. I recall 2 batteries were necessary, a size D "A" battery, which supplied power to the tube filaments. and a much larger "B" battery, around 70 to 90 volts, which supplied power for the tube plates. The radio performed pretty well, AM & FM, as I recall. I also remember when most drug stores had do-it-yourself tube checkers available for the public. They're real dinosaurs now and nonexistent!

The older I get (now 76) the more I look back to the good ol' days of my youth! ๐Ÿ™‚
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
78 REPLIES 78

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
mr. ed wrote:
BobsYourUncle wrote:
mr. ed wrote:

Tubes that aren't being used are impervious to extreme cold (or heat for that matter). I'm not sure about electrolytic capacitors, though. Perhaps the electrolyte substance inside could freeze at minus 30, but I can't say for sure. In time, through use, electrolytic capacitors can eventually dry out and need replacing. That jukebox sounds like it could be a valuable item. Too bad you can't store it in a warmer indoor location, but I don't think it really matters. Of course, there are mechanical devices inside (i.e., turntable motor, which shouldn't be affected, either). Any lubricating oil used on moving parts may thicken up somewhat, but return to normal when warmer temps arrive.

Thanks for that.
Didn't think the tubes would be affected, but I did wonder about the big caps.
It is a valuable item, and I was paying big bucks for heated inside storage. I was fed up with 151 bucks a month for heated storage, had to bring it home. I live in a very small townhouse and there is no room inside for it.

Since that Wurlitzer is dated from 1955, it's possible the electrolytic caps may be due for replacement anyway. But I would wait until you run it again. If the sound is good, without noticeable hum, you're probably good to go.

If it is valuable to you and it hasn't been played for some time I would recommend erroring on the side of caution when powering up.

You cannot physically view the electrical "condition" of those canned electrolytics, nor can you do that with the old wound paper and wax caps. Many times they will look perfectly fine but with age and sitting around they can become leaky or burnout/explode.

Something from the 1950s if it is all original caps would be better to fully recap with new ones before you have any decide to let go in some fashion.. The cans when they blow can blow hot tar everywhere making for one heck of a difficult mess to clean up. Tar filled cans may not like extreme temps swings and over time the tar will harden and crack allowing moisture to be drawn in..

The caps issue is one of the reasons I sold off my 1950s HK Award series A50 Stereo amps.. Hated to be the one cleaning that chassis and replacing the cans with new cans was not in the cards as they were out of production for years which meant digging tar out of the cans to put modern caps inside..

If it was inside a TV, I wouldn't have hesitated clipping the old caps out but the HKs were open chassis so you could see the cans on top of the chassis.. My friend if there is space often clips off the connections on the can then solders in modern caps in circuit on the underside, works if you have the space underside, if you don't have space, digging tar out is what you will be doing.

I would suggest powering up on your porch before sitting it on your carpet or hardwood floor..

Have a friend who buys/sells/trades antique radios, recapping is high on his list to do right after seeing if the tubes light up..

Some antique radio folks also suggest using a auto transformer to slowly power up the chassis in stages to reform the electrolytic caps slowly.

OP might wish to consult a local person who buys/sells/trades antique radios (Local HAM clubs might be a good source to find someone to help) to find out their take on it, they might just suggest trying it first or they may suggest recapping first..

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
mr. ed wrote:

Tubes that aren't being used are impervious to extreme cold (or heat for that matter). I'm not sure about electrolytic capacitors, though. Perhaps the electrolyte substance inside could freeze at minus 30, but I can't say for sure. In time, through use, electrolytic capacitors can eventually dry out and need replacing. That jukebox sounds like it could be a valuable item. Too bad you can't store it in a warmer indoor location, but I don't think it really matters. Of course, there are mechanical devices inside (i.e., turntable motor, which shouldn't be affected, either). Any lubricating oil used on moving parts may thicken up somewhat, but return to normal when warmer temps arrive.

Thanks for that.
It is a valuable item, and I was paying big bucks for heated inside storage. I was fed up with 151 bucks a month for heated storage, had to bring it home. I live in a very small townhouse and there is no room inside for it.

Since that Wurlitzer is dated from 1955, it's possible the electrolytic caps may be due for replacement anyway. But I would wait until you run it again. If the sound is good, without noticeable hum, you're probably good to go.

mr. ed wrote:

Thanks for that.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Since we are all reminiscing about our tube equipment days, I have a question to ask of a bunch of you who know way more than I do:

A few pages back I posted a picture of my 55 Wurlitzer jukebox. It has always been kept in a climate controlled storage location. I have only just recently, 2 weeks ago, brought it into the unheated garage at home for storage.

Alberta winters can be harsh and this jukebox will see minus 30 temperatures. I don't think it will hurt the tubes as long as I don't bump or jar them, but part of me wonders about it. There is nothing in them that will be harmed by freezing I don't think....

Since we are all reminiscing about our tube equipment days, I have a question to ask of a bunch of you who know way more than I do:

A few pages back I posted a picture of my 55 Wurlitzer jukebox. It has always been kept in a climate controlled storage location. I have only just recently, 2 weeks ago, brought it into the unheated garage at home for storage.

Alberta winters can be harsh and this jukebox will see minus 30 temperatures. I don't think it will hurt the tubes as long as I don't bump or jar them, but part of me wonders about it. There is nothing in them that will be harmed by freezing I don't think....
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Learjet wrote:
I'm old enough to remember using one of these as a kid.

Old tube tester
And then we got our Motorola Quasar TV. Solid state โ€œwith a drawer you can pull out to replace partsโ€. Well, I was just a kid but the parts werenโ€™t replaceable but the color TV was pretty cool.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
I'm old enough to remember using one of these as a kid.

Old tube tester
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
LScamper wrote:
The first checks done at low voltage about 10 kV. Don't remember what state things are in for the picturs (some 25 years ago). You can see two shorting hooks (JESUS sticks as someone called them in previous post) sitting on top of the amplifier. I'm sure there was hard shorts on all storage caps. When higher voltage the sides had covers on and the cables on the outside. As an aside these tubes were seasoned at 50kV plate votage for the 2.5 gigawatt amplifier string.

OK, now it makes sense. 50kv plate voltage? machines I worked on never went that high, maybe 20kv max, still enough to ruin your day if contacted!

LScamper
Explorer
Explorer
The first checks done at low voltage about 10 kV. Don't remember what state things are in for the picturs (some 25 years ago). You can see two shorting hooks (JESUS sticks as someone called them in previous post) sitting on top of the amplifier. I'm sure there was hard shorts on all storage caps. When higher voltage the sides had covers on and the cables on the outside. As an aside these tubes were seasoned at 50kV plate votage for the 2.5 gigawatt amplifier string.
Lou

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
LScamper wrote:
In the mid 90s helped with the design of a 200 megawatt two channel amplifier. It used 12 ML8618 water cooled magnetically beamed triodes.

Some of one bank of tubes.

Click For Full-Size Image.

Amplifier testing area.

At one time while working on Scyllac we had an amplifier chain of 100 ML8618 tubes for a total output power of 2.5 Gigawatt. filament power was 32 kilowatt.

Those wires are dangling mighty close to the tubes. They should have been routed more carefully, IMO.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
Da*!#

Don't touch the wrong place, that's not a shock
That would be instant charcoal for any warm body that came into contact with it

Phase one create insane amount of power
Phase two attempt to channel it to the target point
Phase three interpret test results

Be sure to wet fingers first before testing for any stored voltage! :B

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
LScamper wrote:
In the mid 90s helped with the design of a 200 megawatt two channel amplifier. It used 12 ML8618 water cooled magnetically beamed triodes.

Some of one bank of tubes.

Amplifier testing area.

At one time while working on Scyllac we had an amplifier chain of 100 ML8618 tubes for a total output power of 2.5 Gigawatt. filament power was 32 kilowatt.

WOW, thatโ€™s some gnarly equipment! Get near 2.5 gigawatts of RF and you may start cooking your insides, unless the energy was well contained. I know from servicing dielectric sealers, even being too close to the output of even a 10kw machine coul cause your feet to heat up uncomfortably. I could hold a fluorescent lamp in my hand and amazed the machine operators when it lit up brightly when the machine fired. They thought it was some kind of magic. :E

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been watching this thread, but haven't had a chance to reply. We got our first TV in 1952 or '53 when I was three or four years old. My dad had a WWII friend who kept stuff flying and fighting. He transitioned to the new technology. I started watching him work on our televisions. One of the first things he did was look to see if the vacuum tubes were glowing.

When I was about ten or eleven our TV quit working. I took the back off the TV and looked around. I saw a tube that wasn't glowing. I pulled the tube and convinced my mother to take me to 7/11 which had one of those tube testers. Sure enough it was bad. The clerk pulled a replacement from the cabinet underneath.

When my dad got home from work the TV was working. He said to mother you called me at work and told me the TV wasn't working. Mother told him the story. After that thay gave me lots of things to fix.

I transitioned into computers in 1968... The rest is history. I still fix stuff that should be pitched.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

MrWizard
Da*!#

Don't touch the wrong place, that's not a shock
That would be instant charcoal for any warm body that came into contact with it

Phase one create insane amount of power
Phase two attempt to channel it to the target point
Phase three interpret test results
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s