cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Review of new Tracker Light OTM 500 Meter

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
I decided to go SWM on my new rig and found that the old cheapo meter would no longer work. After looking at different meters I decided to try the Tracker Light from SatPro here.. This meter is SWM compatible on Directv but will only detect the 101 satellite. That is fine as I use the Slimline 3 SWM LNB and after peaking on 101 the other satellites pop right in. To connect for SWM you need to use a splitter at the antenna with the LNB connected to the pass through side and the meter connected to the second output of the splitter. The LNB gets it's voltage from the power injector. Non SWM systems do not need the splitter (the meter powers the LNB with built in rechargeable batteries) and the meter contains pre programmed settings for a wide range of satellites, including FTA's,, Dish, etc. The meter is easy to use once you figure it out and is an inexpensive alternative to higher priced meters.
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired
7 REPLIES 7

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Lije Baley wrote:
I thought resurrecting this old thread worthwhile as others might discover it using Google, and would be interested in a current review of the OTM500.

I'll second the OP's positive comments regarding the Tracker Light meter and disagree with Schneid's negative opinion.

I'm with Schneid.

Also, the SatPro appears to be a ripoff of the First Strike FS-1.

Just compare the First Strike web site with the SatPro web site -- the only thing you can select is "Home".
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Lije_Baley
Explorer
Explorer
It takes about 15 seconds for the meter to begin powering the LNB...

If you try it without the PI connected, wait after engaging the metering.

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
That's interesting. I wonder if there is some kind of update for my older one? At any rate, I find this meter very easy to use. For Dish it powers the LNB without external inserter. Only Directv SWM needs the external power for LNB. I have found that if you are very careful with the compass, have the antenna plumb and level, that you will be very close to the correct settings. I would still recommend this meter to a "tech" type person.
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

Lije_Baley
Explorer
Explorer
I thought resurrecting this old thread worthwhile as others might discover it using Google, and would be interested in a current review of the OTM500.

I'll second the OP's positive comments regarding the Tracker Light meter and disagree with Schneid's negative opinion.

I used an Acutrac Pro 22 for several years to set up a tripod mounted SWM-3 Directv dish. The 22 died recently. I replaced it with the OTM500 (v3.0). The new version of the meter powers the SWM LNB independently of the power inserter. The dish can be aligned with only the meter connected to it. The SatPro website lists several parameters for the 101 satellite, each with a different LNB frequency. I programmed all of them into the meter and found one that worked with my LNB. With the dish aimed at the proper azimuth and skewed, it was easy to zero in on the satellite, as the meter beeps become more rapid as signal strength increases. Using the dithering screws, I was able to maximize the Q (quality) bar graph on the meter. In less than 10 minutes (not counting the time it took to determine which of the several parameters was correct for my LNB, and also hitting the Dish satellite early on) I had signal strengths in the upper 90s for most of the 101 transponders and in the 70s and 80s for the 99 and 103 transponders.

schneid
Explorer
Explorer
I normally use the official tool rather than a splitter. A must for an SL5. Discontinued but the can be had.

Solid Signal

schneid
Explorer
Explorer
I tried one of those but found it user hostile and sent it back. I ended up with a SatLook Lite with a built in database. Use an S3 also so need the 21v to the dish. The SatLook Lite will provide but it is a battery killer.

SatLook Lite at Solid Signal

They are around cheaper. It has a two-stage seeker. It auto shifts to a fine-tuning mode when you are close to peak.

Glitchy1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there,
Thanks for your post on.Wanted to pick your brain on your meter. I am connecting the same unit with Directv and I can not get a a quality reading. The tripod and cables are set up properly as a directv tech had just set my system perfectly and I was just testing the meter. I have manually input the 101 satellite numbers from the website and still no success? I turn the satellite dish in either direction and nothing happens? Does the receiver need to be connected?

Thanks for any help,
Robert