cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tailgater Problem

Art_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
My Tailgater hangs up on the second bar of "acquiring signal". Guy at King Controls says it is not the Tailgater. Folks at dish replaced the receiver, and it set up properly. Then I disconnected the temp setup to reposition the receiver to its permanent location and---same problem. (It has been intermittent all along.)

I have tried connecting the RG6 cable from the Tailgater directly to the receiver, but no luck. I will now pick up a new coax and replace the original one to test if there is a cable problem.

Dish is now telling me to talk to King Controls again. But I do get good signal strength on all satellites and the gears are running in the Tailgater.

I'm about at wit's end. Can anyone help? Thanks.
Do the best you can with what you have to work with.

Arctic Fox 22GQ
Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
7 REPLIES 7

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
To get to the antenna pointing page on a VIP-211K which is stuck at 2 of 5.

Press the STAR button (*) on your remote

I won't tell you how much fun I had finding that out but.. It's in the manual

Then you can look to see how strong a signal it has, if (As I suspect) it is not good, try a different spot to park the antenna.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

HarleyDanny
Explorer
Explorer
We have had a tailgater for about 1 1/2 years and have enjoyed it until this trip. All of a sudden it stopped working. When tech support was called they said that the motherboard may need to be replaced which could run $150. We took it to a UPS store to have it boxed up for shipping and found out that the shipping was going to cost a little over $100. We paid right around $300 so now we're in a dilemma. We wish that we could find a local serviceman who could work on it but we've about decided that's not going to happen.

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last Wednesday our Tailgater went on the fritz. And now we are waiting for our Replacement Tailgater .. King Controls had DH take top off and it was not rotating correctly.

Hubby had some medical tests, so wasn't up to sending it off in the Pre-Paid Fedex Label until yesterday .. hope the new Tailgater comes in this week.

We do have Cable TV where we are, but are moving next month to a US Army Corps of Engineers spot in a couple of weeks. Hope the new one lasts longer or we are due to go to a VuCube or back to the old-fashioned satellite dish.
Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma Marji, and Grandpa
2008 Suburban / 2004 Alpenlite TT(FT)

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
you guys be very careful when using wrenches on cable connections. you can actually cause problems with the connections on the box as the connections are soldered in and if you use a wrench and put too much pressure on it you will break that solder then you are really in trouble trying to get a signal.

Denny___Jami
Explorer
Explorer
We had the same problem last month, it turned out being the connector where the coax connected to the trailer. I also found out that the coax connections have to be tight, hand tight like I did with a my tripod didn't work just take a wrench and snug it up. Remember the power to the servo motors comes through the coax so it needs good solid connections.

Denny
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 gears Air Lifts
2003 HitchHiker Premier 35FKTG 215/75/17.5 Goodyear G114 Tires

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
have you done another check switch process

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
The way king controls explained it too me was that if the signal stopped during acquiring the signal is that I didn't have a clear view of southern sky to find all three satellites. But I had a problem with the tailgater and it wasn't scanning vertically and had a bad motor in it. Replaced the tailgater and all ok now. So not sure what is causing your issue!
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992