Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

This is the Year Internet From Space Gets Really Serious

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Universe Today

Maybe this will generate some competition and drive prices down and provided internet features and bandwidth up.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
24 REPLIES 24

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Exciting times.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
I was reading and add and they are talking about unlimited bandwidth for seven bucks. of course that will likely be 77 by the time you get billed. but HEY. that would really drive prices down for wired service. and they also talked about hte posibility of MOBILE devices on the network.

OF course remember this was an add wanting to sell me a book telling me who to invest in... (alas. do not have investment funds to invest with. So did not pursue beyond the ad.

I am howeer familure with the Iridium system. it really DOES work.

You'll be happy to see this then: SpaceX
Superbumper

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was reading and add and they are talking about unlimited bandwidth for seven bucks. of course that will likely be 77 by the time you get billed. but HEY. that would really drive prices down for wired service. and they also talked about hte posibility of MOBILE devices on the network.

OF course remember this was an add wanting to sell me a book telling me who to invest in... (alas. do not have investment funds to invest with. So did not pursue beyond the ad.

I am howeer familure with the Iridium system. it really DOES work.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, not this year.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

rbritton
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Latency (delay) has been a nagging problem for satellite service so far. Don't know if this system will be better, although these will be Leos.

That should help a lot. EchoStar 19 (HughesNet) is at 23,200 miles where LEO is at about 1,200 miles. Between DNS resolution and the actual request, you're typically around 600-800 ms minimum (due to the speed of light) for a response from HughesNet. With a LEO satellite, you're only losing about 30 ms to that portion of it.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I thought Zuckerbergs was deploying free WiFi using tethered weather balloons?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I recall that there was a launch of multiple satellites for one of these systems just a week or two ago.
Superbumper

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Latency (delay) has been a nagging problem for satellite service so far. Don't know if this system will be better, although these will be Leos.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Exede has renamed itself Viasat and they launched a new satellite last summer that is supposed to be coming online now. Speeds are expected to be possibly as high as 150 Mps from a current high of 10. Cost I have been told will drop, or, limits will increase. They are already experimenting with unlimited data the same way cellphone companies have been.
The next month or so will tell a lot, but their use for mobile users are going to be limited. Sat equipment for uploading data is expensive and installation has to be much more precise than the download only installation needed for satellite tv.

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
The problem is we are looking at 4-5 years before any of these systems go live, assuming they keep to their timelines which such projects seldom do.