Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

This is the Year Internet From Space Gets Really Serious

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Universe Today

Maybe this will generate some competition and drive prices down and provided internet features and bandwidth up.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
24 REPLIES 24

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
No doubt about how hard it is, the Russians I believe have had multiple failures over the last year and Europeans had a string of failed launches too, not too long ago
Superbumper

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:
I'm reading that:

1) It wasn't SpaceX's problem, if there is one, because their next launch is still going to happen before the end of the month. If they had a problem they'd would have delayed that. SpaceX has stated their equipment worked as designed.

2) There is speculation that the launch went off as planned and NSA is trying to hide the satellite. I'm not sure how that would work since there are a lot of satellite spotters, they'd had to mask the sun's reflection off the shell of the satellite. The US has massive radars to track these things do the Russians?

3) NSA/ULA provided the connector between the launch second stage and the satellite, if there was a problem that was where it happened.

I wasn't trying to point blame or add to a conspiracy theory. I'm just saying that Space is a tough and expensive business. Getting multiple rings of 400 LEO satellites in place and operational sounds like something just shy of a miracle but so did landing a man on the Moon.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
FWIW and way off topic: The only super secret satellite technologies that IMHO are really interesting are long range narrow beam laser cannons and long range E.M.F. beam cannons.

Oooops ... I almost forgot ... what interesting (plasma?) technology was that long range sweep beam high temperature cannon coming from a satellite controlled by the villian in that James Bond movie? :h
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm reading that:

1) It wasn't SpaceX's problem, if there is one, because their next launch is still going to happen before the end of the month. If they had a problem they'd would have delayed that. SpaceX has stated their equipment worked as designed.

2) There is speculation that the launch went off as planned and NSA is trying to hide the satellite. I'm not sure how that would work since there are a lot of satellite spotters, they'd had to mask the sun's reflection off the shell of the satellite. The US has massive radars to track these things do the Russians?

3) NSA/ULA provided the connector between the launch second stage and the satellite, if there was a problem that was where it happened.
Superbumper

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Space X also just launched a top secret, likely billion dollar, satellite and it failed to reach orbit and is assumed lost. Space is a tough business!

Yup. kind of hard to get insurance on the birds actually making it to orbit.. I am part owner of one that France splashed.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are mobile satellite internet options available. I was simply clarifying that the service described was not available to mobile users.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
.....but not mobile......

I'm guessing that some modern satellite voice phone models may now also have the capability for surfing the Internet either directly using the satellite phone and it's small video screen, or indirectly by tethering a laptop to the satellite phone.

At least it seems like this should now be available - but of course a lot of us cannot afford a satellite phone or it's monthly service charges even if the technology to do this is available. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
sue.t wrote:
I've had satellite internet for two years. No issues. Reliable too. Also use it for our phone because the local supplier wanted $10,000 to install a landline to our home. In the north, infrastructure is aging and unreliable but the new satellite internet system that we have (Xplornet) is trouble-free.

.....but not mobile......

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
I've had satellite internet for two years. No issues. Reliable too. Also use it for our phone because the local supplier wanted $10,000 to install a landline to our home. In the north, infrastructure is aging and unreliable but the new satellite internet system that we have (Xplornet) is trouble-free.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Internet from satellites in space is not unusual, as that has been available for quite some time if one can tolerate the latency issues.

What's off the charts you-gotta-be-kidding weird is Internet access beamed down to ground customers via access point equipment carried onboard commercial airliners flying randomly in the skies above us. To me, that is way more strange than even Internet and/or cellular service via balloons.

Now the trick is .... provide all this Internet service in a secure unhackable way. ๐Ÿ˜‰

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Why does this thread show several new replies but a blank 2nd page. Were posts redacted or something else?

I've noticed this in other threads, and wondered too. Maybe a mod will chime in.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
Latency (delay) has been a nagging problem for satellite service so far. Don't know if this system will be better, although these will be Leos.

The new systems use LEO (low Earth Orbit) Birds, the older ones Geo-Sync. so latency will be greatly improved with the new systems.

If you would like a "Sample" of the new systems there is an internet TV show I watch called Ham Nation.. Google it and watch a few episodes.

The show was founded by two Hams, one in California the other in the Ozarks. Bob Heil K8EID (Founder and CEO Heil Sound, member Rock and roll hall of Fame, Theater Organist) uses ViaSat to stream video both from the studio in California to his home base in the Mountains and back during the show. Multiple channels.

OF course he pays for "Additional bandwidth" but you can see how well it works.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Space X also just launched a top secret, likely billion dollar, satellite and it failed to reach orbit and is assumed lost. Space is a tough business!

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Why does this thread show several new replies but a blank 2nd page. Were posts redacted or something else?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed