cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tracfone?

lwmuddy
Explorer
Explorer
DW has to go to Montana to help old, confused mom and though of getting a Disposable phone.
I suggested she take our Verizon phone and I would get the Tracfone for the house till she gets back. Personally I hate phones, but an emergency might arise for me.

Any thoughts?:)
8 REPLIES 8

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I have used a tracfone for years. got one with double minutes for about $19 at walmart. built up minutes and now pay 5.95 a month just to retain service. the letter on the serial number is supposed to indicate the phone supplier if that matters to you.
bumpy

Explorer
Explorer
Of you can't find a Tracfone with CDMA - many stores are just stocked with GSM tracfones because the Verizon service costs Tracfone more and they don't charge you more, then look at the Straight Talk phones in Walmart. Straight Talk is Tracfone and there are many more CDMA phones available on Straight Talk. Just make sure the phone shows CDMA-V on the box. You can pay by the month with unlimited or set minute no contract plans.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Denny___Jami
Explorer
Explorer
We have a CDMA Tracfone that's uses Verizon's system and it's worked everywhere our Verizon phone has worked, we have both. Get one with triple minutes.

Denny
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 gears Air Lifts
2003 HitchHiker Premier 35FKTG 215/75/17.5 Goodyear G114 Tires

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
I have found that Verizon has the best coverage out West so give the Verizon phone to the wife. If you want to use the Verizon cell network make sure to purchase a Tracfone that uses CDMA. Tracfone models that end with a 'C' are CDMA. If the model number ends with a 'G' it is GSM.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
We got rid of tracfone. Even though they said coverage was "here to there", it's not.......Recently I could only get service IN A CITY.....not anywhere outside city limits....... I'd look up another one, too. I believe Tracfone has lost some of their 'contracts' with other companies (using their cell towers)......because Verizon has come up with a pay as you go plan......
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

sh410
Explorer
Explorer
It was a few(4)years ago, Montana had a number of independant cell providers. Our Verizon phone worked but the independant provider would additionally charge for the use of their towers.

I don't know if that is still the case. If it is I'm not sure that Tracphone or others will work but our Verizon phone did allow us to make phone calls. We do not use data on our phone.

Maybe someone with more info will chime in here.

francheska
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Consumer Cellular might be cheaper and great customer service. Plus we find their plan flexability is great. Bob

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
How do you live without a phone? :h
It's not really going to matter which phone you have, though I think the Verizon may have a better signal/coverage in Montana than the disposable....so that may be a good reason for her to take the regular phone.

I think you can also get yourself a phone, for $10/month, added to your plan with the other phone (unless it's a non-contract phone)...though you would have a contract for 2 years ($240)...but, you may find that it's useful more than just this trip.
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau ๐Ÿ™‚
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.๐Ÿ˜ž
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets