cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

transporting a dish tailgater

mussfly55
Explorer
Explorer
we purchased a 5th wheeler and plan to head out for the winter in fl. and as I get older I find it hard to climb ladders. and I purchased a dish tailgater which I would like info for transport and hopefully I can keep it mounted. but we do stop other than clear sky views and would like to be able to move the dish if needed.
I was thinking of a type of ladder mount that I could slide up and down, but could we transport the dish mounted on the post?
does anyone have other methods that they use to transport with the dish not having to be moved ?
13 REPLIES 13

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
There are cab mounts for putting the Tailgater on a truck. There used to be something for it to go onto a ladder but it was very expensive. I don't know if that mount is still sold.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
The whole idea of these portable, automatic sat receivers is that you can move them around trees, poles, etc. I would not mount one on top of a fiver.

I have a Pathway X2 and also the dedicated tripod for it - The book warns that 2 inches of water can damage the electronics. I also have a 50 ft chain and two padlocks for it.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen ladder and widow mounts but I don't know that they are intended for transport. We keep ours on the dinette bench while traveling.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Try to mount it to the pin box on the 5th. I have seen some genies mounted there. A quick release can be used for situations with heavy trees.

RckyMtnVia
Explorer
Explorer
I travel with the tailgater in one of our outside compartments and protect it from other "stuff" in the compartment with an upside down plastic laundry basket that I bought at Walmart for about $5. When we arrive at the campground, I set it up on the tripod that King sells for the tailgater.
2022 Forester MBS 2401B

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
When parked at our Winter RV Park, I set the Tailgater directly on the Ground. I chain and padlock it to the Landing Gear to discourage theft. We simply put the Tailgater under the 5th Wheel in a Compartment, when traveling
God Bless!

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I don't believe the Tailgater is designed to be mounted on anything but rather simply carried in a bay from site to site. You then just set it on the ground, tripod or picnic table and plug in the coax. Shazam! You are watching TV. Winegard also sells a similar antenna called the Playmaker if you want to compare pricing and options.

X2
God Bless!

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
mussfly55 wrote:
I was thinking of theft when I mentioned about a pole mount coming off the ladder. but other wise I feel a roof mount would be my best with the removable mount that king has offer. but my problem is if we are in tree cover, then the dish would have to be moved for a clear signal. and that is why I was wanting info on a ladder mount that could be used to raise and lower so I would not have to climb the ladder. or some of the ladder mounts that are out on the market that is clamp on which I have seen that you do not want to transport with the dish mounted or am I wrong on the transport with the dish mounted fast to the ladder mount? (hate to have to drill holes in the roof)

We use a Pathway X2 portable antenna. Whether I set it on top of the truck, a slide on the RV, or the ground, I secure it with a long security cable and one or two padlocks. These antennas are not constructed to be transported on the exterior or permanently mounted in any way.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

mussfly55
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking of theft when I mentioned about a pole mount coming off the ladder. but other wise I feel a roof mount would be my best with the removable mount that king has offer. but my problem is if we are in tree cover, then the dish would have to be moved for a clear signal. and that is why I was wanting info on a ladder mount that could be used to raise and lower so I would not have to climb the ladder. or some of the ladder mounts that are out on the market that is clamp on which I have seen that you do not want to transport with the dish mounted or am I wrong on the transport with the dish mounted fast to the ladder mount? (hate to have to drill holes in the roof)

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Being on TOP of the RV has no more better effect than sitting on top of your truck hard bed cover panels... All it needs is a clear view of the sky where the SAT is...

I used a flat round bottom dish portable DISH for DirecTv for a few years until the Natl Broadcast came out with their Digital HDTV signals... That gave us a better TV picture than the camp ground cable had using the OTA Crankup BatWing antenna and this is all free to the public.

Stopped bringing along the extra SAT stuff with us after that...

We get our HDTV fill just fine with the OTA Batwing antenna setup on the trailer.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

TrailerTravele1
Explorer
Explorer
We have the portable Winegard G2 which we just transport under the dinette table in the slideout. When we're at our destination, we simply set it on a little plastic table wherever it has the best view of a clear sky. It's lightweight & easy to move around. No mounting involved.
Cheers! Jan & David

Just returned from our First "Snowbird" Winter ... 25,000 miles, 26 states, 23 National Parks ... and counting....

TrailerTraveler.net

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't believe the Tailgater is designed to be mounted on anything but rather simply carried in a bay from site to site. You then just set it on the ground, tripod or picnic table and plug in the coax. Shazam! You are watching TV. Winegard also sells a similar antenna called the Playmaker if you want to compare pricing and options.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Wheathaven
Explorer
Explorer
We have a tripod which has a flat base, and can be moved around where we need it to be....50' of cable gives us great "movement" for clear skies!