cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tv tiling

1Longbow
Explorer
Explorer
Why does my tv tile when the pump or the furnace are running? We are connected to shore power. Thank You.
17 REPLIES 17

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
krobbe wrote:
Something to consider is the signal amplifier/booster is being affected by either low voltage or interference from those high draw motors.
Consider this AMPLIFIER SIGNAL BOOSTER to address your issues.

Antenna amps are a "catch 22" situation, they not only amplify the signal you want but also the noise you DON'T want PLUS the amplifier actually adds it's own internal noise to the signal.

If you have a typical Winegard "batwing" you most likely already HAVE an antenna amplifier, it is built into the antenna head (where it needs to be so it doesn't amplify as much unwanted noise).

You can tell if your batwing has an amp by the type of wall outlet you have, the amplified version will ahve a small LED, non amp version will not have the LED. The amp is powered on when the LED is lit.

Adding a second amp inline typically does not work at all, this is due to the second amp amplifying the already amplified signal plus noise plus the noise the first amp introduced..

Also a second amp may overload the TV tuner or the second amp input may overload.. The result is more noise..

Noise generated by brush type motors simply can not be avoided, it is the nature of the beast.. For those who don't understand why a brush motor can swamp the TV signal, simply put the motor uses permanent magnets surrounding the stator (stator is the shaft that turns), the stator has a series of wires wound around it. There is multiple separate windings that terminate at what is called a commutator.

The brushes ride the commutator to transfer the voltage from the case to the rotor. The commutator consists of multiple sections of brass or copper that is insulated from the rotor.

The windings are connected to the commutator.

When the rotor turns the brushes making contact with the commutator will make then break electrical connections between the sections of the commutator.

It is this switching action that creates sparks and arcs which also generate radio waves, this is the very same effect that was discovered back before "radio" as we know it was discovered.. Making arcs and sparks was the birth of early radio and was used for Morse code transmissions..

Here is a simple diagram of a DC motor

The best one can do is move the antenna and TV away from the offending device, suppress as much of the RFI generated by the offending device (IE high frequency capacitor across the brushes of the offending device), get a much larger antenna (real antenna with real gain plus higher and away from RV), turn off the offending device, move closer to the broadcast tower or just live with it..

A few things that you could try would be to remove ANY NON AMPLIFIED "splitters", these are known as "passive" splitters, they are noting more than 75 ohm resistors..

They CUT your signal IN HALF for a two port..

If you have a three port you have two ports with half signal and one port that is 1/4 of the input signal.

Four port you get 1/4 the signal on all outputs.

At my home I had a 8way passive splitter to cover my whole house.. Worked perfectly fine with analog NTSC.. Digital ATSC and I had NOTHING at any of my TVs..

I ended up having to buy a $175 AMPLIFIED 8 output COUPLER which has 8 separate LOW GAIN, LOW NOISE amplifiers (one for each port) in order to be able to get all ATSC local broadcasts.

With ATSC OTA, you most likely will just have to live with the fact that you WILL have random blockies, random freezes and jitters.. It IS the nature of the beast.

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
Something to consider is the signal amplifier/booster is being affected by either low voltage or interference from those high draw motors.
Consider this AMPLIFIER SIGNAL BOOSTER to address your issues.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

Explorer
Explorer
Do you have LED light bulbs in your RV? Inexpensive LED bulbs are often not shielded properly and will interfere with electronics - like a TV picture. Just a possibility. Other possibilities - There is a coax antenna connection loose somewhere. If your battery is turned off your antenna booster is off. Your antenna booster may not be working.

One way to troubleshoot - do you have a DVD player with you? Connect the DVD player directly to the TV and see if the same things happen under the same conditions. If yes, there is nothing wrong with your antenna,its booster, or your wiring from the antenna. If no DVD player now, wait until you get home and try this out.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
1Longbow wrote:
Powering tv = 110V
It always pixelates but we just figured out that the pump and furnace makes it pixelate
It has always done it
We are using the antenna

Digital Over the air (OTA) ATSC broadcasts are extremely sensitive to noise.. In fact you can say this broadcast method is fragile..

You NEED a lot of strong signal to start with to get a usable picture and sound that is stable.

Weak signal strength and local artificial radio noise (AKA RFI or Radio Frequency Interference) will damage the incoming signal packets that the tuner is not able to properly decode them.

When that happens you can get "blockies" or Pixalated or tiled screen and worse frozen screen, black screen and can get audio with cuts out..

Your furnace and water pump use DC Brush type motors, this type of motor creates huge amounts of RFI.. That RFI is swamping your stations signals and causing the results you see.

You have several options..

Increase signal strength (IE bigger antenna), move antenna and TV farther away from the RFI source (kind of hard to do in a RV) or if you are electronic savvy you could try adding some small value capacitors (.01 uf or so) at the motor (this needs to be right at the motor to have any possible effect)..

Otherwise you are just going to have to live with the blockies..

1Longbow
Explorer
Explorer
Powering tv = 110V
It always pixelates but we just figured out that the pump and furnace makes it pixelate
It has always done it
We are using the antenna

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
1Longbow wrote:
Tried connecting the battery ,still the same thing. Thank you for your answers so far.

OK.........leave battery connected. It won't be maintained by converter/charger IF disconnected.

Now......
How about answering the other question that where asked. They were asked so that more info cold be attained and maybe help with WHY you are having issues with pixelation.

Question:
How are you powering TV....12V DC socket or 110V AC outlet
Question:
Has it always done this? OR something New?
Question:
Does it happen on all channels?
Questions:
Broadcast TV using antenna?
CG cable TV?
Satellite TV?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

MrWizard
Is this broadcast tv using your antenna
Or campground cable tv
Or satellite tv
When did this problem start
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

1Longbow
Explorer
Explorer
Tried connecting the battery ,still the same thing. Thank you for your answers so far.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Possibly the cable/antenna coax running parallel to a 12V line somewhere and picking up interference? Coax should never be run parallel with a power line.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
The amplifier is powered by 12v circuit. With the battery on disconnect the amplifier for the antenna is not powered so the signal reaching the television is much weaker.

The battery should always be connected when camping, whether on shore-power or not. It cannot get recharged if not in the circuit, and the 12v circuit received needs the battery for a stable voltage. Also adjusting the antenna direction may help.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
I'm 51% sure that pixelation is signal related, not power. My two cents would be to look for something that creates interference.

Does it happen on all channels?
I'd guess some channels would be less immune to interference - because of both frequency and signal strength.

MrWizard
battery is disconnected ?

connect the battery your problem might go away

the battery acts like a giant capacitor absorbing the voltage spikes/emf noise created by the water pump and being broadcast on your 12v wiring thru out the RV
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Has it always done this? Your tele is plugged into 110 when it does this right? I have a theory but will wait for others more knowledgable.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

1Longbow
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it pixelates. Right now we are plugged into 30 amp service with the battery shut off.