Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Upgraded to Win 10

was_butnotnow
Explorer
Explorer
Well I bit the bullet and upgraded my Win 7 desktop to Win 10
I did our laptop win 8 and all went well so next was to see if I wanted to do the desktop. I have a couple of old programs and was worried if they would work under the new OS. I have an old Netscape Composer 4.79 which I love and use it to build my web sites. It wouldn't run on the laptop under Win 10 but I also have Netscape 7.2 that does. Also I now use Mozilla Thunderbird for email so knew it would be OK in Win 10. But I used to use Eudora email and wanted to make sure I could access the old email files.
Win 10 said these old programs would not run but after upgrading ALL my old 32bit programs run just fine.
I am very impressed how all old program settings transferred over.
And both my old Composer 4.79 and Eudora also run great. The thing is these old programs run ok since they were already installed on the old OS. But if I would want to do a new install of them then they wont run.
Another reason I wanted to upgrade to Win 10..., I had so many Win 7 system updates on my old OS some updated and some didn't. Now all that is gone and a fresh start with a new OS. Microsoft got this one right. Oh and when traveling with limited bandwidth there is a option to tell it you are on a metered ISP so updates don't blow your usage.
Go to settings...Network and Internet...Advanced settings...Metered connection... set as metered connection. Also go to settings... updates and security...advanced options... Choose how updates are installed...pick Notify to schedule restart... You'll be asked to schedule a restart to finish installing updates. Updates won't download over a metered connection (where charges may apply).
Now in a 05 Monaco Cayman DP 36 PDQ
Traveled many years in NuWa Hitchhiker 5th wheels.
Travel Journals and Adventures of people living this lifestyle

Hitchitch.com

Personal blog with our own travels. www.fulltime.hitchitch.com
30 REPLIES 30

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fizz wrote:
Sam Spade wrote:
bwanshoom wrote:
I was asking an honest question, not condemning him. Sheesh.

And I was saying that the answer should be obvious.

It's like an old shoe; it serves the purpose and is comfortable.

Marketing is trying to convince us that changing just for the sake of change is good. It is a LIE.

If you like wearing your old shoes, do so.
Don't come here telling everybody upgrading is a racket to get your money.
If you prefer to be left behind do so quietly.

SHEESH!!
I respectfully have to disagree, upgrading is a racket to get your money. Many programs that a lot of people use are simple one-trick ponies and really don't need all the bells and whistles that are touted as the reason to upgrade. Many people don't need all the neato-keen things MS Office will do, they just need a relatively simple spread sheet program and a good word processor. Why should you have to keep learning a new e-mail program? Change the underpinnings and keep the interface. But if you don't change things around, how do you convince people that it's "new-and-improved"?

If they kept the desktop the same, and didn't move things around, a lot of people couldn't tell the difference between Windows XP and Windows 10. They want that computer to behave like a toaster: put in the bread and take out toast. People buy Apple products because 1) they want to be part of what they consider to be cool, 2) they want the thing to work without having to think why it works.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
bwanshoom wrote:

Marketing is trying to convince us that changing just for the sake of change is good. It is a LIE.

If you like wearing your old shoes, do so.
Don't come here telling everybody upgrading is a racket to get your money.
If you prefer to be left behind do so quietly.

SHEESH!!

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
bwanshoom wrote:

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
bwanshoom wrote:
Why do you still need to use that?

I assume:
He paid for it.
It works for him to do what he wants or needs.

Why should he be FORCED to change ????
Hint: He shouldn't be.
I didn't say he needed to change it. I was asking an honest question, not condemning him. Sheesh.
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LMM CC/SB 4x4 LTZ
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I wind up using virtualization for everything. However, sometimes, one can find a different program to do the same thing. Instead of the Netscape editor, SeaMonkey does the same thing, and works on W10. Eudora was nice, but the closest available is Thunderbird, which works pretty well, especially with extensions.

Virtualization is nice, especially if one has an old accounting package that does what one needs, can't be updated past Windows XP, OS-wise, and buying a new package is way too expensive with little to gain. One can build a VM, disable all network adapters, copy stuff through the virtualization program, and have one's stuff still run fairly securely, even though the OS may be hideously insecure.

Yes, Windows 10 will run VisiCalc... you can turn on Hyper-V, download FreeDOS and a floppy image of it.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
sh410 wrote:
Can you run Visacalc on Win10? I don't want to upgrade.

I know you're kidding but....
http://dosbox.en.softonic.com/

sh410
Explorer
Explorer
Can you run Visacalc on Win10? I don't want to upgrade.

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I upgraded my Samsung Laptop from 8.1 to W10 last week. The only issue I have that I can't solve is the screen brightness will not change. Fortunately it is on bright so I'm not stuck. Nothing works and Samsung doesn't have an answer yet. I hope yet is correct word.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
bwanshoom wrote:
Why do you still need to use that?

I assume:
He paid for it.
It works for him to do what he wants or needs.

Why should he be FORCED to change ????
Hint: He shouldn't be.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
Could not use Win 10 myself. Too many older programs that won't run. Need to use MS Visual Studio 6 which barely runs under Win 7/8. Might be able to setup a virtual box on Win 10 and load XP on it. Very costly to rewrite custom software each time MS changes OS's. For those running off the shelf common software its not as big of a problem.
VS 6? Wow, that's nearly 20 years old. Why do you still need to use that?
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LMM CC/SB 4x4 LTZ
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
was_butnotnow wrote:
Microsoft got this one right.

Your opinion. Glad it worked for you.

Note for those still on 7:
About the time that Microsoft installed it's "nag-ware" for 10 on my machine without my permission, the automatic notification of pending updates also quit working. Same thing on my wife's computer. By the time I realized this it had been off for about 4 months and there were over 25 updates available.

IF YOU ARE STAYING ON AN EARLIER VERSION, BE SURE TO CHECK FOR PENDING UPDATES.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I miss Eudora- best POP Email program, bar none. If it was still around, it would *almost* make it worth it to use Windows again.
-- Chris Bryant

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I had an interesting experience with W10 yesterday. I've been using W10 since before it was released so I (thought I) know it pretty well.

A neighbour was having trouble downloading videos from his camera and uploading to Facebook. I said I'd help. The W10 I know is an upgrade from W7. I use W10 pretty much the way I used W7 with all the same applications. The neighbour's PC obviously had W10 factory-installed and he was using the full app experience. Turns out I didn't know how to do anything, even getting from one app to another.

After 30 minutes learning curve, I was able to get the videos out of the camera but I just wasn't able to figure out how to upload to FB using their app. Turns out the app doesn't have an "upload video function" like the website - you have to have the video in folder "camera roll" and share it to FB.

I'm going to have to requalify my comments about W10 - I like W10(7)!

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Could not use Win 10 myself. Too many older programs that won't run. Need to use MS Visual Studio 6 which barely runs under Win 7/8. Might be able to setup a virtual box on Win 10 and load XP on it. Very costly to rewrite custom software each time MS changes OS's. For those running off the shelf common software its not as big of a problem.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Made the switch from 7 to 10 (desk top) a couple of months ago.
Flawless transition and flawless performance.

W10 has lots of flexibility, and control. Take some time to poke around the settings.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro